Splash Moutain Fear

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

Brian845
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Splash Moutain Fear

Post by Brian845 » May Fri 21, 2010 11:18 am

So how can I convince my wife that Splash Mountain isn't scary? I'm not a big fan of roller coasters or thrill rides, so I'd never been on Splash Mountain until our then 4 year old insisted that I take him on our last trip to Disney. We had a great time and I of course bought the picture of our descent, but I'd like to get an updated version of that picture on our next trip with my younger son and wife included. My wife has no problem with Big Thunder Mountain Railroad (which I've actually been on many years ago), and I think Splash Mountain is tamer than that. Her big problem with SM is the length of the drop, something she says BTMR doesn't have. She insists that SM would probably kill her. So does anyone have a way I can assure my wife that she won't die?:)

Future Guy
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

Re: Splash Moutain Fear

Post by Future Guy » May Fri 21, 2010 11:23 am

My advice: Vicodin. I'm a huge thrill-ride chicken as well (even the Barnstormer was too much for me) so I can sympathize with your wife.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » May Fri 21, 2010 12:25 pm

Brian845 wrote:So how can I convince my wife that Splash Mountain isn't scary? I'm not a big fan of roller coasters or thrill rides, so I'd never been on Splash Mountain until our then 4 year old insisted that I take him on our last trip to Disney. We had a great time and I of course bought the picture of our descent, but I'd like to get an updated version of that picture on our next trip with my younger son and wife included. My wife has no problem with Big Thunder Mountain Railroad (which I've actually been on many years ago), and I think Splash Mountain is tamer than that. Her big problem with SM is the length of the drop, something she says BTMR doesn't have. She insists that SM would probably kill her. So does anyone have a way I can assure my wife that she won't die?:)
The anticipation is usually worse than the actual drop. Does she do ok on the Pirates of the Carribean? That has a similar drop but much shorter. If you could convince her that Splash is just a little longer than Pirates that might work. I'm thinking that if she wouldn't brave it when your 4 year old went then you probably won't be getting her on it this time either...photoshop could work wonders on the family photo :lol:

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » May Fri 21, 2010 1:03 pm

Cheaper than Vicodin: close your eyes. It's all perception - what one person sees as harmless can alarm someone when they see it. Grip tight, close your eyes - if you can't see it, then your perception of what you see won't alarm you. :wink:

Soarin08
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by Soarin08 » May Fri 21, 2010 1:37 pm

mindflipper wrote:Cheaper than Vicodin: close your eyes. It's all perception - what one person sees as harmless can alarm someone when they see it. Grip tight, close your eyes - if you can't see it, then your perception of what you see won't alarm you. :wink:

Well said. Best way to put it.

I actually found if you hang on and lean forward a bit as you're going into the drop, you don't feel it (this was before I became an SM junkie and refused to ride any way but hands in the air during the drop).

Brian845

Post by Brian845 » May Fri 21, 2010 1:45 pm

Amy wrote: The anticipation is usually worse than the actual drop. Does she do ok on the Pirates of the Carribean? That has a similar drop but much shorter. If you could convince her that Splash is just a little longer than Pirates that might work. I'm thinking that if she wouldn't brave it when your 4 year old went then you probably won't be getting her on it this time either...photoshop could work wonders on the family photo :lol:
It's funny that you mention Pirates, because I did point that out that to her (I said it was like one of the middle drops on Splash), and she is convinced that they changed the PoTC drop to make it shorter since "it wasn't as bad as the last time".

The last time we went to Disney our youngest wasn't quite 2 years old, so she had an excuse then, but if both our kids want to go I'm not sure I can handle them by myself (the oldest would have to sit by himself I guess). I only worry that my oldest will want to take me on Space Mountain or Expedition Everest on our next trip (I've never done either)...

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » May Fri 21, 2010 1:49 pm

As a self-proclaimed chicken and someone who does not care for SM, I agree with both Amy and mindflipper. The 2 biggest aspects of the ride are anticipation and perception. I have braved it only twice, but I can tell you this...I shut my eyes as tight as possible, give the handrail a death grip all the way up the hill and scream like a banshee all the way down (and yes, I do lean into it...it does help)!

Yeah, it makes for a really funny (to everyone else, that is) picture, but hey...at least I went on it! :)

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by theBIGyowski » May Fri 21, 2010 1:50 pm

Another thing to do is enjoy the ride...and the theming. Use the characters and your surroundings as a distraction to what is going on. This is why so many people have no problem riding Rock 'n Rollercoaster...because you tend to focus more on the signs and neon lights than you do the ride itself.

The main difference between mainstream roller coasters and Disney rides is that the Disney Imagineers put a lot of time and talent into the theme and story of the ride. That's what all of us Disney nuts focus on anyway. I can go bungee jump to get the dropping sensation...but I ride Tower of Terror because of the theme and story.

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

Future Guy

Post by Future Guy » May Fri 21, 2010 2:29 pm

The drop on Pirates is much steeper than you might think. It doesn't feel too steep, but one time the ride temporarily shut down right before we hit the drop. The lights came on for a few minutes, and I was in the front of the boat so I got a good look at the track ahead. Thanks for the advice about leaning into the drop. I spent about ten solid minutes last trip standing on the bridge in front of Splash, watching the boats come racing down the mountain and trying to screw up the courage to ride.

Maybe next time. I'd really like to do it one of these days.

Mupsy90
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Post by Mupsy90 » May Fri 21, 2010 2:41 pm

I had heard that the drop in SM was actually about the same length as the pirates one, only that SM was steeper. SM being 52.5 feet and Pirates being 52 feet

http://www.scottware.com.au/theme/feature/splash.htm

http://www.scottware.com.au/theme/feature/potc.htm

maybe that will make her less scared =p

EDIT: oh my bad...thats the pirate ride for disney land so Im not sure about the one in disney world

...ok i checked for WDW and Pirates is only 14 ft there =p whooooops!
http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/parks/ ... caribbean/

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » May Sat 22, 2010 12:03 am

Brian845 wrote:I only worry that my oldest will want to take me on Space Mountain or Expedition Everest on our next trip (I've never done either)...
You'll be fine I am sure...but if necessary I am available for childcare ~ will ride any ride for no extra charge ;)

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » May Sat 22, 2010 12:06 pm

Can't tell you about Everest, Brian845. I've never ridden it yet. Anyone able to hand out any advice on this one?

Arete

Post by Arete » May Sat 22, 2010 12:52 pm

mindflipper wrote:Can't tell you about Everest, Brian845. I've never ridden it yet. Anyone able to hand out any advice on this one?

On Everest keep your head back against the head rest as best you can. Sit in the middle if you can - that way you won't get the extreme g's of sitting in the "back" (which is both sides of the train since it goes both forward and backwards). The inside is mostly black, so there isn't much to see. The sound is rather intense, though.

My general advise for thrill rides at Disney is to go to Cedar Point in Sandusky, Ohio, and spend the whole day riding their thrill rides (410 ft tall coaster anyone?). :lol: That way when you go back to Disney you'll see how tame they all are, even Everest.

Just kidding. ;) The bigger a coaster is, the better for me! I love 'em.

Splash is much scarier looking than anything. The drop is over in a couple of seconds. I second the motion of closing one's eyes - it'll be over before they even realize.

Sockdoodle
Casey Junior Circus Train Conductor
Casey Junior Circus Train Conductor

Post by Sockdoodle » May Sat 22, 2010 5:03 pm

I am a total wimp and can barely handle even the 'tame' rides like splash mountain...also blacked out on Mission: Space! However, I have survived each of the thrill rides at WDW at least once each time I go down to the world. To get into the ride without using the chicken exit, I distract myself with the queue theming and feeding off the excitement of those around me (esp. my bro who can easily sleep at Magic Mountain). On the ride, I actually can't close me eyes as the turns tend to throw out my back so I have to do what theBIGyowski suggested - focus on the ride theming. In the end, I am always glad that I experienced the rides, but I do have to drag my body onto the rides each time I go to the world.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » May Sat 22, 2010 6:55 pm

I psyched myself out totally one year before riding Tower of Terror. For me, concentrating on the theming made the anticipation 10 times worse :shock: Once I went through the first drop I was laughing though ~ for me it is all about getting through the suspense! :D