Splash Moutain Fear

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

Brian845
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Re: Splash Moutain Fear

Post by Brian845 » May Tue 25, 2010 12:26 pm

mindflipper wrote:Have to consider incentives? Y'know, like "if you'll ride it, I'll buy you a Dole Whip afterwards." Works with kids. Why not adults? Just got to find the right incentive that will entice her.
You and your Dole Whips!

I'll somehow have to get her addicted to them before we go, anyone have a recipe?

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » May Tue 25, 2010 1:09 pm

I just used the Dole Whip for the example. It doesn't have to be that. For instance, if it was Len90, the "carrot" I would need to dangle in front of him would a tollhouse cookie from the Main Street Bakery. So knowing her the way you do - what incentive/"carrot" would you need to dangle in front of her to get her on Splash Mountain? Milkshake from the Plaza? A desert item somewhere? Agreeing to ride IASW with her?

NaCler
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by NaCler » May Tue 25, 2010 1:29 pm

I'd ride IASW for a Dole Whip! :D

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » May Tue 25, 2010 1:40 pm

NaCler wrote:I'd ride IASW for a Dole Whip! :D
And that proves my point! Reward someone with the right incentive, and they'll do anything. Hmmmm, could you imagine the things I could get Mousekedude to do for a Dole Whip.... :twisted: :wink:

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » May Tue 25, 2010 2:34 pm

mindflipper wrote:
And that proves my point! Reward someone with the right incentive, and they'll do anything. Hmmmm, could you imagine the things I could get Mousekedude to do for a Dole Whip.... :twisted: :wink:
:lol: Instead of "What would you do for a klondike bar?" it's "what would you do for a Dole Whip float?" (or RSDW...depends on who you're trying to bribe ;) )

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » May Tue 25, 2010 7:42 pm

NaCler wrote:mindflipper is on to something here. Does she like purses? There's a Dooney & Burke Disney thread on here that she might like. It might cost you more but at least you'll get your picture! :wink:
This was the first thing that popped into my head when I read "offer an incentive"!
momeja wrote:You guys are wicked. Fear cannot be bought with a purse (or wristlet) no matter how cool.
Oh, I would be bought! But, alas, I am not afraid of anything, and I have no one offering me a bribe :(

RREng77
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by RREng77 » May Tue 25, 2010 8:30 pm

Amy wrote:
NaCler wrote:mindflipper is on to something here. Does she like purses? There's a Dooney & Burke Disney thread on here that she might like. It might cost you more but at least you'll get your picture! :wink:
This was the first thing that popped into my head when I read "offer an incentive"!
momeja wrote:You guys are wicked. Fear cannot be bought with a purse (or wristlet) no matter how cool.
Oh, I would be bought! But, alas, I am not afraid of anything, and I have no one offering me a bribe :(
I love big rides, but would act scared just to ensure I can find a decent "bribe." It sounds a lot like buying a car or jewelry... :wink:

Back on topic, my DW is a huge fraidy-cat, and there is no reward or bribe sufficient to justify ruining an entire day by torturing her with "scary" rides. I just disappear :ccat: for about 1-2 hours in each park and reappear a much happier person :D , having ridden all the thrill rides Disney has to offer. My advice: try to convince her ONLY if you're practically positive she'll enjoy the ride.
To do the improbable, we first have to dream the impossible.

[url=http://ubanimator.com][img]http://img393.imageshack.us/img393/7058/userbar646708dw8.gif[/img][/url]
[url=http://ubanimator.com][img]http://img157.imageshack.us/img157/3340/userbar646714dx9.gif[/img][/url]

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » May Tue 25, 2010 8:53 pm

But if that fails, you can always fall back on the incentive/bribe offer to see if that works... :wink: :mickey:

Brian845

Post by Brian845 » May Wed 26, 2010 7:37 am

mindflipper wrote:
Ah, that's the Dole Whip addict I was thinking of, sorry for my confusion!:)

timekeeper

Post by timekeeper » May Wed 26, 2010 8:17 am

I am the biggest chicken. I dont ride anything if my butt will lose contact with the seat!

That being said, Dh and DD rode it last year for the 1st time. Dd loved it and was talking all about what they had seen inside. I was certain I was going to die but I rode it. Once we get close to the top I shut my eyes and brace my arms like a huge chicken and swear I am going to die for the 5 seconds it takes to drop. But I loved it aside from the drop, I know I am NOT going to die but I dont like it. So we rode it 2 more times that day because we were already wet and the wait was short. In all reality it is tamer than BTMR, which I like alot.

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » May Wed 26, 2010 11:10 am

Once you get your mind to accept the idea of the drop (and let's face - it only lasts a few seconds) it does allow you to enjoy the rest of the ride... :wink: :mickey: :D

Mr.ToadWildRider
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Post by Mr.ToadWildRider » May Wed 26, 2010 2:58 pm

I don't think many people (read it again... **many**- that means a lot but not all) who are afraid of certain things once attempted are all that afraid of it anymore. Conquering your fears sounds corny, but it's usually true. There's a little switch wired into our brains that tells us "Don't do this, it's hazardous" and it makes us not want to do it. Once you've actually been able to flip that switch off just long enough to get yourself into the seat of a rollercoaster for example and now the ride is out of your control and you experience it and are now familiar with the experience (and its actual safety) that switch tends to become easier to switch off, if the need to do so even still exists. I'm being a bit of a hypocrite here as I refuse to go skydiving or bungie jumping etc. but I think that's a bit more rational than a fear of a Disney ride which tend to be some of the safest things you can do but still they're both actually less hazardous than driving on the highway.

Now with that being said some people either a) are so afraid they refuse to let themselves enjoy the experience and continue to tell themselves "This is dangerous, be scared" and will not enjoy it or b) have an aversion to the actual sensation which I'm not really sure there's much you can do about. If you seriously think your wife, kid, whoever you try to get on a ride will be affected in such a way it's probably not the best idea to push it; especially not all at once. Start off smaller and work your way up. I've known people who have literally lost trust in others to some extent because they convinced them something "Wasn't that bad" and they didn't agree and it ruined their days. I think it's all a bit extreme but who am I to judge?

Again, I'm possibly not even giving the best advice reflecting myself as I used to be dreadfully terrified of inversions (loops, rolls, corkscrews, etc.) on rides and my parents took me on a single inversion coaster and I FREAKED but then as I got older I realized "These rides are safe and everyone seems to have such a good time- try it" so I went on the biggest baddest inverted coaster I could find at Six Flags rode it and haven't looked back on coasters since. Sometimes I guess you just gotta take the plunge.

As to the OP- I personally think Splash is much "worse" if you will than Big Thunder. While Big Thunder is constantly a quick ride, there are absolutely NO big drops; the biggest drop can't be more than 20 feet. Splash is twice that and probably almost double in steepness. It's a fairly long and fast drop that I honestly think is "worse" than Tower of Terror which to me doesn't quite hit the pit of your stomach the way Splash starts to at the end. The thing about Splash is it's over in literally under 2 seconds. And if there's a way to convince your wife to try, I'd say it's that- appeal to her that you'll get a memory to keep for years to come at the sacrifice of possibly being in either physical or psychological discomfort for a couple of seconds (though I guess psychologically, it'd be from the moment she steps in line but Splash does a great job at taking your mind completely off the drop until that final incline once you're on it). Also, if you're afraid of Big Thunder maybe you should agree to ride it with her if she's willing to ride Splash. They're right next to each other, kind of a hard cop out! ;)

Good luck!

MetalRage

Post by MetalRage » May Thu 27, 2010 8:37 pm

I was scared of the drop on Splash Mountain and on other rides when I was little. One day I just faced my fear and now I love the drop and roller coasters. As long as she doesn't have any of the health warnings posted, she will most likely be fine. She just needs to stay calm. If she goes on really scared then that is what will do it with the heart. Just say calm and the drop is over before you even know you did it.
"When you're curious, you find lots of interesting things to do. And one thing it takes to accomplish something is courage." - Walt Disney :mickey3:

[url=http://www.userbars.com][img]http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/9147/userbar721338ez4.gif[/img][/url]

"We wants the redhead!"

ajg1993
Fire Engine Driver
Fire Engine Driver

Post by ajg1993 » May Fri 28, 2010 6:39 am

I may be in the minority here, but I've never found closing my eyes on "scary" rides helpful. In fact I always found closing my eyes scarier, especially on coasters; psychologically, it has always helped me to see whatever's coming up on the ride and mentally prepare for it rather than closing my eyes and being totally surprised every time there's a sudden drop or loop or whatever.

So my advice for Splash Mountain would be to lean forward (as others have suggested), keep your eyes open if at all possible, and exhale during the drop to get rid of the tickle in your stomach. That's what worked for me anyway. :P

Hope that helped!

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » May Fri 28, 2010 8:21 am

ajg1993 wrote:I may be in the minority here, but I've never found closing my eyes on "scary" rides helpful. In fact I always found closing my eyes scarier, especially on coasters; psychologically, it has always helped me to see whatever's coming up on the ride and mentally prepare for it rather than closing my eyes and being totally surprised every time there's a sudden drop or loop or whatever.

So my advice for Splash Mountain would be to lean forward (as others have suggested), keep your eyes open if at all possible, and exhale during the drop to get rid of the tickle in your stomach. That's what worked for me anyway. :P

Hope that helped!
For some, closing the eyes is either the principle of "what I can't see can't hurt me" or "ignorance is bliss". Whereas BTM is a coaster which frequent turns and fast motion, Splash Mountain on the other hand is easier to cope with to me because it's just the one drop and it's pretty quick. You know when it's coming thanks to the vultures and upon reaching the top of the incline its over and done with in less than a minute.