Moderator: Moderators

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: Epcot's Le Cellier May Become Signature

Post by mindflipper » May Sat 22, 2010 11:59 am

Amy wrote:
JimB wrote:Here's a photo of one our favorite desserts at LeCellier:

And yes, the servers call it the chocolate mousse.
That is cute! Is it cake?
I do like the play on words (mousse=moose)! And it does look good!! Mmmmmmmm :D

NaCler
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by NaCler » May Sat 22, 2010 1:08 pm

Chocolate mousse??? Cheese soup??? Excellent steak??? This is all me in December. Thanks JimB!

Sockdoodle
Casey Junior Circus Train Conductor
Casey Junior Circus Train Conductor

Post by Sockdoodle » May Sat 22, 2010 4:29 pm

JimB wrote:There's a strong rumor that Le Cellier in Canada may be converted to a Signature Restaurant by year's end. If you're on the Dining Plan It might pay to get ADR's there if you like it and are visiting by the end of summer or so. Might not be as economical if you save it for your next trip. You can always change your ADR's if the rumor doesn't pan out.
That's disappointing. It is true that Le Cellier is on the pricier side of the single table service restaurants (making it a very good value when on the DP), but I think it is a bit of a stretch for two table service credits. Will have to keep my eye on this rumor as my next trip will be sometime after this year and I was hoping to make an ADR for Le Cellier.

timekeeper
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Post by timekeeper » May Thu 27, 2010 7:11 am

Interesting. Am I remembering incorrectly or didnt it used to be 2 credits way back before 2005? (Maybe that was Coral Reef, foggy memory.)

Dh really enjoys Le Cellier but its NOT worth 2 credits. It is NOT on the level of Narcoossee's or most of the signatures. Brown Derby is in HS and that is a signature but we haven't tried it because again it doesn't seem to be on the higher level for us.

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » May Thu 27, 2010 12:51 pm

Thank you Jim B for posting that picture. I saw it on the menu and was curious how it was served.

I think I would like to go there for the cheese soup and dessert and I could be happy.

I'm not into the frou frou food either, but the DP would let us enjoy some places we would normally wouldn't try.

Mr.ToadWildRider
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Post by Mr.ToadWildRider » May Thu 27, 2010 2:54 pm

I personally think Le Cellier is super over-hyped. The cheese soup wasn't quite as amazing as I'd hoped from all the comments online and the steak was only good. I actually liked the soup at Germany way more and they have pretzel bread too.

With that being said I've been called a food snob before...and then again and again and again...

Though I admit I'm a "food snob" in the sense that I'm highly critical of food and generally harder to please, it has nothing to do with fanciness despite some of my friends' and my girlfriend's perception of me: it has to do simply with quality versus cost/hype; there's nothing I enjoy more than a hole in the wall restaurant with amazing food for cheap. And for my money/aggrivation getting an ADR I'd rather eat at Germany or Norway than Le Cellier every day of the week. If you want to splurge on dining at Disney I wouldn't do it at a place like Le Cellier, go to the California Grill where the service is significantly better and the food is great. I've never been to Jiko or Flying Fish (almost last time but my friend doesn't like seafood so no go :( ) though as someone else mentioned in the league as Cali Grill and if they are in the same category, then Le Cellier has no business being in that company in my humble opinion.

Soarin08
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by Soarin08 » May Thu 27, 2010 3:27 pm

mindflipper wrote:
Amy wrote:
JimB wrote:Here's a photo of one our favorite desserts at LeCellier:

And yes, the servers call it the chocolate mousse.
That is cute! Is it cake?
I do like the play on words (mousse=moose)! And it does look good!! Mmmmmmmm :D
That's too cute! And looks really good.

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » May Fri 28, 2010 12:01 am

Mr.ToadWildRider wrote:I personally think Le Cellier is super over-hyped. The cheese soup wasn't quite as amazing as I'd hoped from all the comments online and the steak was only good. I actually liked the soup at Germany way more and they have pretzel bread too.

With that being said I've been called a food snob before...and then again and again and again...

Though I admit I'm a "food snob" in the sense that I'm highly critical of food and generally harder to please, it has nothing to do with fanciness despite some of my friends' and my girlfriend's perception of me: it has to do simply with quality versus cost/hype; there's nothing I enjoy more than a hole in the wall restaurant with amazing food for cheap. And for my money/aggrivation getting an ADR I'd rather eat at Germany or Norway than Le Cellier every day of the week. If you want to splurge on dining at Disney I wouldn't do it at a place like Le Cellier, go to the California Grill where the service is significantly better and the food is great. I've never been to Jiko or Flying Fish (almost last time but my friend doesn't like seafood so no go :( ) though as someone else mentioned in the league as Cali Grill and if they are in the same category, then Le Cellier has no business being in that company in my humble opinion.
Very interesting, I honestly think you are one of a few people to say something negative about Le Cellier. I honestly thought the service at Le Cellier and California Grill was comparable. They each served everybody at one time through the use of multiple servers bringing out the food. The presentation of all the dishes was comparable with me personally finding the portion at Le Cellier to be more filling. I will admit that I have never had the cheese soup, so I really can't draw any opinions about that. I can say that the Kansas City Strip Steak is phenomenal. It is my all time favorite steak and the best one that I have ever eaten.

I understand that you are very critical of a restaurant when eating. You are spending a lot of money to eat at these places, so you should have a strong opinion about the food and atmosphere. My opinion on California Grill was that the view made the restaurant. The food was just above average to me and if it is raining outside, then a lot of the enjoyment of the restaurant is gone. Le Cellier does not have the best atmosphere, and I agree with you on it not being the nicest establishment to eat in at WDW. However, I found the food taste to be amazing.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

kcookiebaker
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Post by kcookiebaker » May Mon 31, 2010 9:35 am

If you want a good steak and are on the dining plan, spend two credits and go to the Yachtsman Steakhouse. The service is gracious, the crowds controlled, the steak, regarless of your choice and you have more than one or two, always just right...and there are some nice wines available if you want them.

northernmousefan2007
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by northernmousefan2007 » May Mon 31, 2010 7:12 pm

I wonder if we will see more of our favorite restaurants fall victim to "signature" status since the dining plan is more popular then Disney anticipated.

Mr.ToadWildRider

Post by Mr.ToadWildRider » Jun Tue 01, 2010 12:50 pm

[quote="Len90]
Very interesting, I honestly think you are one of a few people to say something negative about Le Cellier. I honestly thought the service at Le Cellier and California Grill was comparable. They each served everybody at one time through the use of multiple servers bringing out the food. The presentation of all the dishes was comparable with me personally finding the portion at Le Cellier to be more filling. I will admit that I have never had the cheese soup, so I really can't draw any opinions about that. I can say that the Kansas City Strip Steak is phenomenal. It is my all time favorite steak and the best one that I have ever eaten.

I understand that you are very critical of a restaurant when eating. You are spending a lot of money to eat at these places, so you should have a strong opinion about the food and atmosphere. My opinion on California Grill was that the view made the restaurant. The food was just above average to me and if it is raining outside, then a lot of the enjoyment of the restaurant is gone. Le Cellier does not have the best atmosphere, and I agree with you on it not being the nicest establishment to eat in at WDW. However, I found the food taste to be amazing.[/quote]

It could just be the food we ordered (or received) but I found the steak at Cali to be better than that signature steak at Le Cellier (mushroom something or other I believe). That's not to say that Le Cellier isn't a good restaurant, I think it is just that- I think the problem is while I have nothing bad to say about Le Cellier I think it's just I don't find it as amazing as others seem to. I kind of feel like the food and to some extent the service is just slightly better than par with a local Bugaboo Creek restaurant. I like Bugaboo Creek, though I think that place is overpriced for many steak dishes they serve too and certainly the atmosphere.

I don't have any problems with the food or the service and I'd be happy to eat the food again; I'm just saying given the price, the quality of the food, and to some extent the atmosphere I'd probably look elsewhere first- especially in EPCOT and especially if I were on the DP and they wanted to charge me 2 table service dinners for it.

Polynesian Princess
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide

Post by Polynesian Princess » Jun Sat 12, 2010 6:56 pm

It makes sense that they would make it a Signature. It's all supply and demand - so many people want to eat there and they're raising the price. Sure, it will make some people not go there, but they already completely book reservations very far in advance so it will probably mean they are easier to book, but still fill up.

I'm actually one of the ones that didn't like it at all. I hated the cheese soup - it wasn't cheesy enough and was full of onions, something I hate and nothing I've ever read (including the menu) mentioned them. If it had an accurate description, I would have known I wouldn't like it and wouldn't have ordered it. My husband got the duck three ways and wasn't impressed with it. And both of our steaks were decent, but we've had better on property (Kona, GF Cafe) and at Outback.
Can't wait to take my twin boys on their first trip to Walt Disney World! Planning on heading there sometime Feb-May 2014!

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jun Sat 12, 2010 7:10 pm

Polynesian Princess wrote:...I'm actually one of the ones that didn't like it at all. I hated the cheese soup - it wasn't cheesy enough and was full of onions, something I hate and nothing I've ever read (including the menu) mentioned them. If it had an accurate description, I would have known I wouldn't like it and wouldn't have ordered it....
Good to know about the onions ~ I wouldn't like that either - yuck!

DoctorK
Sleeping Beauty Castle Guard
Sleeping Beauty Castle Guard

Post by DoctorK » Jun Tue 29, 2010 12:13 pm

It's a great 1 TS credit value, but I think there would be better 2 TS credit options - unless they change/upgrade the LeCellier menu somehow.
Thanks,
Doc

1/95 (Honeymoon), 1/96, 10/01 & 11/07 (DD's first trip): Offsite
8/08: Coronado Springs
8/09: Coronado Springs
2/10: SSR/AKV Jambo
8/10: Pop/AKV Kidani
5/11: AKV Jambo

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by theBIGyowski » Jun Tue 29, 2010 1:50 pm

If they make it a Signature restaurant it will just make it that much easier to get an ADR. People on the dining plan won't make it a priority to go there and use their credits. It would also give them an excuse to raise the prices for folks not on the dining plan.

I assume it would be the smallest Signature restaurant in WDW though...right?

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)