And to make it complete....how about Animal Kingdom?

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

TikiTikiRoom
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Post by TikiTikiRoom » May Sun 02, 2010 8:35 pm

momeja wrote:
NaCler wrote:I would take out the whole carnival games thing, what is up with that area? It just doesn't seem to fit in, it's never crowded/used and it just seems below Disney standards. Anyone else feel the same about it?
Agreed. You could lose all of Dinoland except Dinosaur and no one would miss it.
i second the notion.

MW1218
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by MW1218 » May Mon 03, 2010 8:30 am

missynole wrote:I think to help clarify about the summer and AK, I think AK is more "cement" especially from the main entrance/parking lot into the Tree of Life area. The very, very first time we went as a family, we vowed we would NEVER, EVER go back.
That's by design, to take you out of the world that mankind has taken over (parking lot) and into the Animal Kingdom. http://blog.touringplans.com/2009/10/26 ... xperience/

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » May Mon 03, 2010 8:44 am

missynole wrote:I think to help clarify about the summer and AK, I think AK is more "cement" especially from the main entrance/parking lot into the Tree of Life area. The very, very first time we went as a family, we vowed we would NEVER, EVER go back.
That was my family's reaction too! And we still haven't been back...left that bad of a taste in our mouths!

TikiTikiRoom

Post by TikiTikiRoom » May Mon 03, 2010 10:10 am

mindflipper wrote:
That was my family's reaction too! And we still haven't been back...left that bad of a taste in our mouths!
that's a shame that a Disney park can do that to someone. It really is a nice park once you get past the dry heat.

Arete
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

Post by Arete » May Mon 03, 2010 5:12 pm

Amy wrote: Where was that boat ride located? I seem to remember there was something like that when we were last there but it was never running...we were there during off season
When you first go up into Discovery Island over the bridge, look to the right and there's a blue painted dock. That was one of the boarding areas. The other is over in Asia. They use the one up front for character meet and greet now.

And I actually like Dinoland. It may be my love for the county fair, but I do like it. I actually wish they'd develop that area more fully; to only have two rides is pretty lame. If they want it to be kitschy Americana then they should go for full-blown kitschiness. Big boat, Gravitron, fair fries, elephant ears, fun houses, the whole deal. They could even add some barns (it's Animal Kingdom, right?) with the sort of livestock you'd see at the local fair (which would make for a much more accessible petting zoo than the one way out at Conservation Station).

I'm sure I'm in the minority, but a clean Disney version of the fair would please me quite well.

NaCler
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by NaCler » May Mon 03, 2010 5:19 pm

Arete wrote:And I actually like Dinoland. It may be my love for the county fair, but I do like it. I actually wish they'd develop that area more fully; to only have two rides is pretty lame. If they want it to be kitschy Americana then they should go for full-blown kitschiness. Big boat, Gravitron, fair fries, elephant ears, fun houses, the whole deal. They could even add some barns (it's Animal Kingdom, right?) with the sort of livestock you'd see at the local fair (which would make for a much more accessible petting zoo than the one way out at Conservation Station).

I'm sure I'm in the minority, but a clean Disney version of the fair would please me quite well.
Don't get me wrong, I LOVE a county fair and look forward to our annual one up here... but it just doesn't fit with Disney. Especially in DINOLAND. I don't know how to explain it I just expect more from Disney.

Pluto23
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by Pluto23 » May Mon 03, 2010 6:52 pm

Dino-rama is a departure for a Disney park. There was a real problem at AK - no much for kids to do for fun. They built the boneyard play area and Dino-rama, and it is good for the kids. Once I learned the story, it did not bother me as much.

You can read a pretty good edition here
http://land.allears.net/blogs/jackspenc ... orama.html

Even if you don't like the area, you have to go in the gift shop and look at the ceiling. There is more stuff in the ceiling than on the floor. Take some time and explore Restarantosaurus. There is a LOAD of stuff in there that relates to the dig site. This was the 'barracks' for the staff & students.

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » May Mon 03, 2010 6:54 pm

To me, DINOLAND seemed like a cheap fill-in until they got a better idea, and then became a permanent fixture (spent all the money they could have used to make a better Dinoland to build Everest instead)...

NaCler

Post by NaCler » May Mon 03, 2010 6:55 pm

Now I'm a big fan of the Dig site and playland for the kids... :mrgreen:

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » May Mon 03, 2010 10:38 pm

The dig site/playland for kids is one the few things that fits in that area (digging up dino bones) - but all the cheap carnival rides don't fit - it's like Disney is slummin'

timekeeper
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Post by timekeeper » May Tue 04, 2010 7:08 am

I agree with getting rid of the carnival part, nasty! I so love parts of this park, I could hang out all day in Africa and people watch.

I skip so much, we shun the whole dinosaur area. We skip the campy character area, we have only ridden the train to rafikki once.... And I would revamp the kali river rapids, love the ride but bored with the logging scene.

momeja
Rocket Jets Flight Director
Rocket Jets Flight Director

Post by momeja » May Tue 04, 2010 11:26 am

timekeeper wrote:I agree with getting rid of the carnival part, nasty! I so love parts of this park, I could hang out all day in Africa and people watch.

I skip so much, we shun the whole dinosaur area. We skip the campy character area, we have only ridden the train to rafikki once.... And I would revamp the kali river rapids, love the ride but bored with the logging scene.
It is scary how much in AK needs to be changed. Raffiki is sweet but missable. Kali RR isn't nearly as good as Grizzly RR. The character section is campy.

Maybe we need a thread instead about what we like about AK.... :?:

Soarin08
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by Soarin08 » May Wed 05, 2010 1:52 pm

Ummm... pretty much revamp it all with the exception of

Everest
Kali RR
Dinosaur
Kilimanjaro
Festival of the Lion King
It's Tough to Be a Bug

DAK has always been my least-favorite. I go, do the above, and leave.

That Dino-land section is so campy and tacky, it needs to be redone. Yes, having a dino section is awesome- just not like that!

bravetaylor
Sleeping Beauty Castle Guard
Sleeping Beauty Castle Guard

Post by bravetaylor » May Wed 05, 2010 5:12 pm

AK is actually my favorite park. It has so much potential. I could wander around for days. True, there is so much that can be improved on. First, get that dam Yeti back to working in "A" mode. When it works everest is the best. Yes they absolutely should redevelop the boat cruise and not just for transport to the other side of the park but develop some habitats to see during the cruise. Dismantle Camp Minie Mickey and build the origionaly planned Beastly Kingdom complete with The new 20,000 Leagues and Journey to the center of the earth Mountain and rides from Tokyo DisneySea. This might allow for the park to stay open later than five. Finally add more big ticket mammals like Orangatans or pandas and you'll see some increased attendance

Soarin08
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by Soarin08 » May Wed 05, 2010 5:15 pm

DAK DOES have potential! I used to love being there in the spring when they'd stay open till eight. Riding Everest multiple times in a row, no wait... can't beat that!!

BUT I don't think the park's full potential has been realized by the Imagineers. It almost seems a bit mish-mashed together in places. More like a random collage than a theme park.