2011 WDW Marathon Weekend

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

withspirit
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Re: 2011 WDW Marathon Weekend

Post by withspirit » Jan Tue 18, 2011 2:08 pm

Thanks, guys. DW and I even ordered one of those expensive shadowboxes to display our medals and bibs - I let her on it even if she did best me by one second.
No really, see? It's a screwdriver and it's... sonic
The Doctor

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by theBIGyowski » Jan Wed 19, 2011 10:37 am

boilerbabe wrote:CONGRATS to all who ran!!! What an accomplishment!!! We hope to be there for the 2012 marathon weekend!
DW and I are also hoping to be there for the 2012 marathon weekend. I am trying to convince an old running buddy of mine that I grew up with to train for it as well. He and his wife are dying to get down to WDW and the marathon weekend is definitely a great excuse to make the trip. I was hoping to do a Half Marathon here in my hometown in a few weeks but with DW having her surgery and everything it kept me from training. I still think I can get in good enough shape...and I know I can for the Half...but I want that Mickey medal...I already have a few Donalds.

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

NaCler
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by NaCler » Jan Wed 19, 2011 2:59 pm

Congrats to all who ran in the various races! It's a GREAT accomplishment, especially on the Goofy, Joe!

I have already started talking to my wife about doing it next year. Although, it would probably be the 5K for me, but I am trying to talk her into us both doing the Half in January 2012.

Now, it's off to the "couch to the 5K" website for beginners training. ;)

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jan Wed 19, 2011 3:04 pm

NaCler wrote:Congrats to all who ran in the various races! It's a GREAT accomplishment, especially on the Goofy, Joe!

I have already started talking to my wife about doing it next year. Although, it would probably be the 5K for me, but I am trying to talk her into us both doing the Half in January 2012.

Now, it's off to the "couch to the 5K" website for beginners training. ;)
Let me know what you find out on the 5K. That would be my speed too. I am so not a runner. My oldest brother, who competes in the Ironman Triathlons, participated in the in-line speed skating race in WDW a few years back. He had a blast!

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Jan Wed 19, 2011 3:10 pm

Hey, withspirit! Love the avatar! Got that spacey-wacey timey-wimey thing going there! :wink: :D

NaCler

Post by NaCler » Jan Wed 19, 2011 4:07 pm

Amy wrote:Let me know what you find out on the 5K. That would be my speed too. I am so not a runner. My oldest brother, who competes in the Ironman Triathlons, participated in the in-line speed skating race in WDW a few years back. He had a blast!
Will do. I think they said that the 5K is done the Friday before the half and whole marathons. Also, there are several 5K's done throughout the year. I think there is a Princess 5K in February... Here is the OFFICIAL RunDisney homepage if anybody isn't aware of it: http://espnwwos.disney.go.com/sports/rundisney/

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Jan Sun 23, 2011 9:39 pm

I'm gathering my troops for 2012 and would be awesome to have more Subers down there too! I'm pretty sure we're going to run the 5K the day before the 1/2. You are correct NaCler, it's the Fri. before the 1/2 and full. B-dude (he's not into distance) is doing the 5K and we figure, we will too! :D I've been having some trouble with my leg again, but I think I can get this fixed and I can train in time, there's plenty of time! Registration opens March 15th!!!!

I'm going to post a ticker for this event, I think it will motivate me! And we're def. signing up on the 15th! :D

NaCler

Post by NaCler » Jan Mon 24, 2011 8:31 am

BB - You guys (BD, withspirit, Joe90...) and a few Podcasts have inspired me to join in. Starting tonight, in sub-zero temperatures I might add, the wife and I begin our "Couch to 5K" training. If all goes well and we are running/jogging 5K by the March 15 signup, I will be registering for the 2012 HALF! Man I'm crazy... ;)

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jan Mon 24, 2011 10:31 am

NaCler wrote:BB - You guys (BD, withspirit, Joe90...) and a few Podcasts have inspired me to join in. Starting tonight, in sub-zero temperatures I might add, the wife and I begin our "Couch to 5K" training. If all goes well and we are running/jogging 5K by the March 15 signup, I will be registering for the 2012 HALF! Man I'm crazy... ;)
You may be right, you may be crazy! (sorry, the Beatles are running through the brain this morning) Wow ~ good luck to you both!! Be careful not to over-do it, especially in this crazy weather :shock:

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Jan Mon 24, 2011 11:08 am

NaCler wrote:BB - You guys (BD, withspirit, Joe90...) and a few Podcasts have inspired me to join in. Starting tonight, in sub-zero temperatures I might add, the wife and I begin our "Couch to 5K" training. If all goes well and we are running/jogging 5K by the March 15 signup, I will be registering for the 2012 HALF! Man I'm crazy... ;)
That's fantastic!!! Make sure you invest in the proper shoes, I can't stress how important that is! And don't do too much too soon, just increase gradually! Good luck, let me know how your training is going! :D

NaCler

Post by NaCler » Jan Mon 24, 2011 2:35 pm

I definitely will and don't worry... the couch to 5K program seems pretty tame for the first couple of weeks. I will definitely keep you guys updated.

NaCler

Post by NaCler » Jan Tue 25, 2011 11:33 am

SUCCESS!!! I finished the first night of training and didn't pass out, suffer any injuries or worse... The first week has you alternating between jogging and walking at different intervals for 30 minutes. It gets harder, of course, but I was very happy with my results last night.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jan Tue 25, 2011 11:35 am

NaCler wrote:SUCCESS!!! I finished the first night of training and didn't pass out, suffer any injuries or worse... The first week has you alternating between jogging and walking at different intervals for 30 minutes. It gets harder, of course, but I was very happy with my results last night.
Yay! Congrats! Keep us posted so we can help by encouraging your success :D

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Jan Tue 25, 2011 11:37 am

NaCler wrote:SUCCESS!!! I finished the first night of training and didn't pass out, suffer any injuries or worse... The first week has you alternating between jogging and walking at different intervals for 30 minutes. It gets harder, of course, but I was very happy with my results last night.
Nice job!!! That is the best way to start out, otherwise you'll end up injuring yourself and you'll never want to run again! Keep it up!!!

I wish we could do the ESPN weekend 5K, just wishful thinking....sigh...you run 5K all throuh DHS!

theBIGyowski

Post by theBIGyowski » Jan Tue 25, 2011 12:36 pm

I was a distance runner in high school and college...and when I graduated I stopped running. I gained a lot of weight and it made life difficult. So...I decided to sign up for the 2008 WDW Half Marathon. I had never in my life run more than 9 miles at once...so this was a big deal. I told myself I would either get in shape and have the time of my life or I would die. Obviously I ended up back in shape and I inspired my parents and sister to run the 2009 WDW Half with me that next January.

I really am hoping I can run the 2012 FULL Marathon because that would be a great accomplishment for me. My dad ran marathons when I was younger and so that would mean a lot to me. He's 7 weeks past his last cancer treatment and is still working on regaining his strength. If he can go through all of his treatments...I can put up with 26.2 miles. Just gotta hit the pavement...and save up the $$$.

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)