Cold Weather

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Cold Weather

Post by theBIGyowski » Jan Mon 11, 2010 10:42 am

It has been unusually cold here in the Southeast and I was wondering if anyone has been down at WDW during this cold snap. I noticed that over the weekend it got below freezing. Must have been rough on the runners this weekend as well...those from the south at least.

I know that a lot of you are from the north, so 30 degrees outside isn't that bad, but that's cold for central Florida.

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Jan Mon 11, 2010 11:06 am

We were noticing the cold weather in WDW and I was thinking of all the runners over the weekend. Haven't had a chance yet, but I wanted to get on the web site and see what the top finishing times were. 30 degrees if you're dressed properly is my fav. kind of running weather. But, I can imagine for the Southerners, it's too cold!

Future Guy and his DW were there...you can see their trip report under Trip Planning threads.

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Jan Mon 11, 2010 2:15 pm

Future Guy an his DW were there for 01/04/2010 through 01/07/2010 - it was cold, but they weren't there for the real cold weather this past weekend when the runners were running.

However, he does have a really funny story about visting the restrooms at the Imagination Pavillion (which apparently require you to use your imagination about the heating). :shock: :roll: :wink:

cccmouse
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by cccmouse » Jan Mon 11, 2010 2:36 pm

We were supposed to be there from 1/9 thru 1/13 but as we watched the Orlando area weather we decided to postpone the trip. The high temps were forcasted to be 30s to low 50s during our whole trip. Part of the fun of going to WDW in January is getting away from the cold for a while and it didn't look like we were going to do that. We have changed our reservations to arrive on 1/30. Hopefully the temps will be closer to the average for this time of year.

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Jan Mon 11, 2010 2:47 pm

In my opinion, cccmouse - wise move! That is, unless another cold snap hits at the end of the month...

...personally I'm tired of the really cold weather! I want my normal Florida mild cold January weather please! :evil: :cry: :wink:

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Jan Mon 11, 2010 5:35 pm

My Buddy in Lake Alfred said it was 38 on Sat. There where still some Britt's in Typhoon Lagoon!
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

Mamabaminjamin
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by Mamabaminjamin » Jan Mon 11, 2010 8:03 pm

I thought you may enjoy this.

My Daughter asked my husband.

"Is DIsney World Cancelled?"
Why/What
"Is Disney world Cancelled cause it's so cold there?"

I guess she is keeping tabs on Mickey :ariel:

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Jan Mon 11, 2010 10:27 pm

Snow Day at Walt Disney World? Well, there's a first time for everything! :idea: :wink: :mickey:

stunrut
Motor Boat Cruise Skipper
Motor Boat Cruise Skipper

Post by stunrut » Jan Mon 11, 2010 10:46 pm

I can't even imagin snow at WDW!

timekeeper
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Post by timekeeper » Jan Tue 12, 2010 7:59 am

It was so cold for a few days when we were on our first trip in December 2005, we wore our winter coats, gloves, hats, etc in the park. I was glad to be from the north and have it with us. It was only for 2 days of our trip so everyone made due, I couldn't imagine weeks of it down there!

Peerless83

Post by Peerless83 » Jan Tue 12, 2010 8:42 am

I live in Tampa, and I was just in the Disney area this past weekend (Downtown Disney to be exact). I dont know if it was because of the cold weather or if because it was a weekday, but DT Disney was absolutely dead. If it wasnt sooooooo cold it would have actually been pretty enjoyable. Its not every day that you can walk around the World of Disney store and not get bum rushed by visiting family!

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Jan Tue 12, 2010 10:20 am

38 sounds balmy right now!!! It's supposed to hit 40 in Chicago on Thurs. I might have to break out my sandals!!!! :lol:

Kidding of course!!! But I'm excited about the high of 40, that's sad, isn't it?!

horizons1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by horizons1 » Jan Tue 12, 2010 10:23 am

mindflipper wrote:Snow Day at Walt Disney World? Well, there's a first time for everything! :idea: :wink: :mickey:
I was thinking that too. Wouldn't that be fun to see? A little real snow on the castle perhaps?

I'll be there tomorrow night, but I understand "seasonal" temperatures are supposed to start returning by then.
No one's gloomy or complaining while the flatware's entertaining.

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Jan Tue 12, 2010 10:34 am

A "snow day" is when schools up North are closed due to the snow. Mamabaminjamin's kid was wondering if Disney had closed due to the snow since it was reported on TV Florida had snow. Could you imagine if WDW had to close for a "snow day"?? That would have all those global warming experts pointing their fingers shouting loudly, "See! See! I told ya so!"

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Jan Tue 12, 2010 11:52 am

boilerbabe wrote:38 sounds balmy right now!!! It's supposed to hit 40 in Chicago on Thurs. I might have to break out my sandals!!!! :lol:

Kidding of course!!! But I'm excited about the high of 40, that's sad, isn't it?!
I am waiting to break out the shorts and sandals this Thursday and Friday. However, it will be short lived. Another chance of snow for the Northeast for next weekend.

As for this Winter, it is pretty scary to see how cold it got in Florida. It was good to see that Disney's horiculture department tried taking precautions and wrapped the most sensitive vegetation in thermal blankets. Also, Blizzard Beach has been closed for a lot of days this Winter due to the cold weather.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"