Childhood memory Assistance please

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

Mamabaminjamin
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Childhood memory Assistance please

Post by Mamabaminjamin » Jan Wed 06, 2010 8:23 pm

I was lucky enough to go to epcot shortly after it opened. We went for the opening of the GM Ride(Before Test Track). OK so here is the memory...

It was a ride with cars simular to Spaceship earth. In part of the ride you came into a room where they talked about living in outerspace or on the moon. It smelled like oranges. In the scene the house was up high Like 2 stories and then on the ground were green houses growing things in space.

We a have an ongoing debate of what the ride was.

Anythoughts?? :?: :)

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Jan Wed 06, 2010 8:40 pm

Well if it is a GM (as in Government Motors) ride then it would have been World of Motion.

However, if the cars are similar to Spaceship Earth, then it would have been Horizons. I don't recall that scene as I was unfortunately too young to remember both attractions.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

Mupsy90
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Post by Mupsy90 » Jan Wed 06, 2010 11:25 pm

Well if its Horizons here is a link to a blog you might like. This guy and his friend had sneaked onto the ride and took a ton of pictures (meaning they got out of their vehicles and went onto the actual scenes). It's pretty cool

http://mesaverdetimes.blogspot.com/

stunrut
Motor Boat Cruise Skipper

Post by stunrut » Jan Thu 07, 2010 1:33 pm

I'm pretty sure that was Horizons. Enjoy your pursuit. It's always fun researching anything Disney.

MadEye
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler

Re: Childhood memory Assistance please

Post by MadEye » Jan Fri 08, 2010 8:53 am

Mamabaminjamin wrote:I was lucky enough to go to epcot shortly after it opened. We went for the opening of the GM Ride(Before Test Track). OK so here is the memory...

It was a ride with cars simular to Spaceship earth. In part of the ride you came into a room where they talked about living in outerspace or on the moon. It smelled like oranges. In the scene the house was up high Like 2 stories and then on the ground were green houses growing things in space.

We a have an ongoing debate of what the ride was.

Anythoughts?? :?: :)
Are you sure the sponsor was GM and not GE? GE sponsored Horizons. And of the two (World of Motion and Horizons) Horizons was the only one that had the smell of oranges. At least that I can remember.
We are all a little weird
And life's a little weird,
And when we find someone whose
Weirdness is compatible with ours,
We join up with them and fall in
Mutual weirdness and call it Love.”
― Dr. Seuss

Eames: Listen, if you're gonna perform INCEPTION, you need IMAGINATION.

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Jan Fri 08, 2010 9:42 am

I agree that several attractions are getting mixed. MadEye is right about GE and GM: GE sponsored Horizons, GM sponsored World of Motion (and for those curious, ATT sponsored Spaceship Earth). However, Len90 was wrong about the ride vehicles. World of Motion had ones similar to Spaceship Earth (two rows of two seats), not Horizons (one row, four seats). Spaceship Earth/World of Motion ride vehicles could rotate, Horizons did not. Spaceship Earth/World of Motion had the track below the vehicles, Horizons was above/behind.

Orange smell - Horizons
Living in outerspace - Horizons
Growing food - in the dessert, Horizons, but in space, the Land

In Horizons, the house was a separate scene from the fields or citrus being grown in the desert, not one above the other.

yodiwan1
Storybookland Canal Boats Mate
Storybookland Canal Boats Mate

Post by yodiwan1 » Jan Fri 08, 2010 4:31 pm

The omnimovers in Horizons were nothing like SE, Horizons you sat all in one row, and it was kinda hanging. WOM had vehicles like SE...
"hold on to them hats and glasses, cause this here's the wildest ride in the wilderness!!"

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Jan Sat 09, 2010 12:03 am

mindflipper wrote:I agree that several attractions are getting mixed. MadEye is right about GE and GM: GE sponsored Horizons, GM sponsored World of Motion (and for those curious, ATT sponsored Spaceship Earth). However, Len90 was wrong about the ride vehicles. World of Motion had ones similar to Spaceship Earth (two rows of two seats), not Horizons (one row, four seats). Spaceship Earth/World of Motion ride vehicles could rotate, Horizons did not. Spaceship Earth/World of Motion had the track below the vehicles, Horizons was above/behind.

Orange smell - Horizons
Living in outerspace - Horizons
Growing food - in the dessert, Horizons, but in space, the Land

In Horizons, the house was a separate scene from the fields or citrus being grown in the desert, not one above the other.
I honestly barely remember anything from both attractions. I was only able to ride both once when I was six. I did further research into this and you are correct in what you have posted. Thanks a lot Mindflipper for all that comparison information. It shows I have to use my last week of break to brush up on my extinct Disney attraction knowledge. :)
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Jan Sat 09, 2010 12:57 am

Six years old, eh? I think we can forgive you for the faulty memory, Len90. Unlike you, I have riden both Horizons and World of Motion many, many times as I was not quite so young at the time...

...however, I would rather be your age than my age anytime...

but I guess its better to be "ancient" than "extinct" as those ride are now. :wink:

stunrut

Post by stunrut » Jan Sat 09, 2010 12:26 pm

I loved both rides. Those were good times. But, I still miss Mission to Mars and Dreamflight. (sigh)

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Jan Sat 09, 2010 12:47 pm

I'm sorry, but I loved "If You Had Wings" far more than Dreamflights. Dreamflights always looked like a cheaply-made replacement - too cheaply-made for me to like it.

BuDz211
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by BuDz211 » Jan Sat 09, 2010 6:59 pm

I was very young but I do remember some of Horizons. One memory that really sticks out was when the riders are given the choice of space, desert, and water. What I remember most was a big airline food tray opening up and blocking the view to other ride vehicle screens. I thought it was funny.
Image Image

wdwgirly
King Arthur Carousel Horseman
King Arthur Carousel Horseman

Post by wdwgirly » Jan Wed 13, 2010 12:22 pm

Nice trip down memory lane! I too believe it was Horizons.

subsonic
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by subsonic » Jan Wed 13, 2010 1:29 pm

It's definitely Horizons. One of the best attractions ever.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJNSCjahErI
Join our chat in Discord: https://discord.gg/zw5by3z

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Jan Wed 13, 2010 1:37 pm

I like Horizons more than I like Mission: Space. I find Mission: Space actually boring. I always think of Horizon's desert/space/water film selection was the "spark of imagination" that eventually lead to Spaceship Earth's current "This is your future" ending it has now.