Hidden pin on lanyards

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

rknrlrcstr
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Hidden pin on lanyards

Post by rknrlrcstr » Sep Mon 14, 2009 8:55 am

I have noticed that some cast members will have pins on their lanyards that are facing backwards, not allowing you to see the pin face. The cast members trade these "blindly", where the guest does not see what they are getting until the trade is complete.

Has anybody made a "blind" trade? What was the outcome? Was the pin you got something good or possibly rare (limited edition or such)? Or was it a bad move?

I trade pins with cast members when I am at the World, but have never been daring enough to make a "blind" trade. I am not a collector for the monetary value of the pin, rather more for the sentimental value and what it means to me. I'd like to get an idea if it is something that could work out for the better for me.

Thanks in advance for any info.
Are we there yet? When can we go back?

I don't know what's worse, the anticipation of going or the withdrawals after getting home.

MadEye
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler

Post by MadEye » Sep Mon 14, 2009 9:24 am

Even if you get something you don't like with a "blind" trade, you still have a pin you can trade for something better. You never know until you try.
We are all a little weird
And life's a little weird,
And when we find someone whose
Weirdness is compatible with ours,
We join up with them and fall in
Mutual weirdness and call it Love.”
― Dr. Seuss

Eames: Listen, if you're gonna perform INCEPTION, you need IMAGINATION.

timekeeper
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Post by timekeeper » Sep Mon 14, 2009 10:56 am

DD has done it, she was happy with the blind pin. If you dont like it you can trade it later.

Future Guy
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

Post by Future Guy » Sep Mon 14, 2009 11:35 am

A CM told my wife that they're only allowed to trade with kids. Is that true?

MadEye
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler

Post by MadEye » Sep Mon 14, 2009 11:47 am

Future Guy wrote:A CM told my wife that they're only allowed to trade with kids. Is that true?
If the lanyard is green, yes. If it is black, no.
― Dr. Seuss

rknrlrcstr

Post by rknrlrcstr » Sep Mon 14, 2009 11:53 am

Also keep in mind that some pin carts at resorts may have a book (3-ring binder) with pins available for trading as well. I know of the pin cart at the lobby in the Wilderness Lodge has one such book.

To all who have replied so far, thanks for your advice.
Are we there yet? When can we go back?

I don't know what's worse, the anticipation of going or the withdrawals after getting home.

Mr.ToadWildRider
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Post by Mr.ToadWildRider » Sep Mon 14, 2009 12:11 pm

Two questions from a non-trader:

1) Do the CMs actually own the pins? My assumption is no, because don't they like HAVE to trade you if you ask?

2) Going off the above question a bit do CMs ever try to get people to trade higher rarity (presumably therefore higher value?) pins for more common/less valuable pins? I feel like the system seems scary for someone just entering. You see all the guests with their pins out for trading at various places in the World. DTD a lot it seemed. I always felt like that seemed so predatory, but those are private individuals; I'm asking about the CMs.

missynole
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer

Re: Hidden pin on lanyards

Post by missynole » Sep Mon 14, 2009 12:18 pm

rknrlrcstr wrote:I have noticed that some cast members will have pins on their lanyards that are facing backwards, not allowing you to see the pin face. The cast members trade these "blindly", where the guest does not see what they are getting until the trade is complete.

Has anybody made a "blind" trade? What was the outcome? Was the pin you got something good or possibly rare (limited edition or such)? Or was it a bad move?

I trade pins with cast members when I am at the World, but have never been daring enough to make a "blind" trade. I am not a collector for the monetary value of the pin, rather more for the sentimental value and what it means to me. I'd like to get an idea if it is something that could work out for the better for me.

Thanks in advance for any info.
I've traded blindly with cast members before and most of the time it's usually just another hidden mickey pin or one of those booster pack pins. I RARELY will find that a cast member has a blind pin of a limited edition or rack pin. You may get lucky every now and then but I will trade with them blindly and then if I don't like what I get, I usually just trade it out with the next cast member.

MadEye
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler

Post by MadEye » Sep Mon 14, 2009 12:21 pm

Mr.ToadWildRider wrote:Two questions from a non-trader:

1) Do the CMs actually own the pins? My assumption is no, because don't they like HAVE to trade you if you ask?

2) Going off the above question a bit do CMs ever try to get people to trade higher rarity (presumably therefore higher value?) pins for more common/less valuable pins? I feel like the system seems scary for someone just entering. You see all the guests with their pins out for trading at various places in the World. DTD a lot it seemed. I always felt like that seemed so predatory, but those are private individuals; I'm asking about the CMs.
No. CMs do not own the pins and should not tell or try to get the guests to trade a better pin. The guest should be able to trade whatever pin they want, regardless of what the CM(s) want them to trade.

On the flip side, When I worked at the Great Movie Ride, if the pins on the lanyards where crap, I would ususally go to the managers office and switch out for some good pins for the guests.
― Dr. Seuss

missynole

Post by missynole » Sep Mon 14, 2009 12:24 pm

Mr.ToadWildRider wrote:Two questions from a non-trader:

Mr. Toad: I can tell you that I was intimidated initially when I started trading - I wasn't sure if a CM would be nice or say they didn't want to trade with me. I can tell you that I was wrong to be intimidated. They MUST and are REQUIRED to trade with you if they are wearing a lanyard. They can't turn you down because you "don't have anything they would want." In fact, I've never really had a cast member turn me down. 98% of the time it's really a fun experience. They can't necessarily ask for something better in your stack of pins and they must accept (unless it's a duplicate on their lanyard) whatever pin you give them. I usually have very good trades with cast members and it's a whole lot of fun. If you let the CM's know that this is your very first time trading, they are usually really helpful and friendly on giving advice about trading. I won't trade with regular people who "hang out" at the pin trading events. Mostly I find "regular people" (not CM's) too pushy.

Mr.ToadWildRider

Post by Mr.ToadWildRider » Sep Mon 14, 2009 12:32 pm

MadEye wrote: On the flip side, When I worked at the Great Movie Ride, if the pins on the lanyards where crap, I would ususally go to the managers office and switch out for some good pins for the guests.
I think this is more towards what I was trying to ask. If the CM knows that the person is giving up something valuable for something less valuable (I have no experience with pin trading so I have no idea what the spectrum is as far as value, but it seems that presumably some pins are worth more than others due to rairity/artisitic value, but as far as how far the value extends I have no clue) for something relatively common would the CM alert the guest to this? Are they supposed to? I'm just thinking if someone has a pin that's let's say is worth $50 and they offer it to a cm for a pin that's worth I don't know $10 would the CM mention this?

MadEye
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler

Post by MadEye » Sep Mon 14, 2009 1:17 pm

Mr.ToadWildRider wrote:I think this is more towards what I was trying to ask. If the CM knows that the person is giving up something valuable for something less valuable (I have no experience with pin trading so I have no idea what the spectrum is as far as value, but it seems that presumably some pins are worth more than others due to rairity/artisitic value, but as far as how far the value extends I have no clue) for something relatively common would the CM alert the guest to this? Are they supposed to? I'm just thinking if someone has a pin that's let's say is worth $50 and they offer it to a cm for a pin that's worth I don't know $10 would the CM mention this?
Keep in mind, not all CMs are there for the guests. It's just a job to some. I, on the other hand, was a pin-trader before I started working for the mouse. I know good pins from poor ones. The ones that will fetch a pretty penny in the future are the jumbo or limited editions.

Some CMs who wear the lanyards don't know about pins, they are just handed them and are expected to bring them back at the end of their shift.
― Dr. Seuss

Sleepy90

Post by Sleepy90 » Sep Tue 15, 2009 2:34 am

Mr Toadwildrider give it a go buy a lanyard with a set on that will give you 2pins of each type one to keep and one to trade, of course you could trade all four if you wish.

If your nervous about your first trade look for an older CM everyone will show you their lanyard, (Remember to stay away from green lanyards they are only for children and will not trade with adults) what your looking for is a CM that has a lanyard but also has on their lapels or somewhere prominent other pins, these pins belong to the individual and they will not trade them, however these Guys are more knowledgeable about the pins.

My first trade was with an elderly CM on Main Street and he was fantastic, I didn't tell him it was my first trade but I'm sure he knew anyway.

I treat trading as fun and only trade when I feel like it, I'm not in it for the value just the pins I like.

As for trading blindly I'm up for it, you can always trade it out later if you don't like it.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Sep Thu 17, 2009 8:16 pm

This was quite interesting to read - I didn't know that the CM were given the lanyards with pins to trade while working - and also that different colored lanyards meant something. I might be brave enough to try the next time I'm down there.

Fantastory
Main Street Horse Car Coachman
Main Street Horse Car Coachman

Post by Fantastory » Sep Fri 18, 2009 12:43 pm

I was a pin-trading CM at Epcot and got a bit addicted myself. :)

In a nutshell, a CM will never refuse a pin trade UNLESS the pin you want to trade is not a Disney or Disney-affiliated pin (ie. Rainforest Cafe is Disney-affiliated so their pins are OK - no Universal pins) or the pin you're trading is already on their lanyard. CMs are not supposed to have doubles so they'll ask you if you have anything else to give them. However, if you really want a CM's pin and that double is all you have to trade, a lot of us would take it anyway. Especially for cute kids.

Since a lot of pin trading Guests care more about how cool the pin looks/which character is on it than the actual value, CMs rarely question an uneven value trade. (I once had a guy give me a huge, awesome Disneyland 50th anniversary pin for a crappy common Tinkerbell.) If the Guest was on the fence about a trade, I reminded them that as long as they go home with what they want, that's what mattered. Some chose to trade, some chose to keep their pins.

If you want to know if the pin you're trading is more or less valuable than the CM's pin, just ask. They probably won't know the value, but most can tell the common pins from the uncommon ones just because so many pass go by those lanyards. CMs do not keep the pins on their lanyards so they have no reason to keep/aquire rare ones themselves. A pin-savvy CM can probably give you good tips, too.

As far as Hidden Pins go, it is totally up to the CM what they hide. Some turn over random pins, some turn over rare ones. I only hid good pins myself because I wanted whoever took the risk to be rewarded. If you choose not to trade for the Hidden, you can usually get the CM to show you what it was. Of course, then you can't trade for it since you know the secret. Sometimes you can ask them "if it's worth trading pin X for that" but you won't always get an answer.

Black pin lanyards trade with everyone. Green pin lanyards only trade 12 and under. Some CMs have pin sheets on their belt but keep in mind these only have a selection of 8 or so as opposed to the lanyards which have about 12.

I just bought crappy starter sets and traded them for cool stuff or Hiddens. If the Hidden is common, you can just trade it away for something else.

TIP: Managers generally have the best pins. These are men and women dressed in nice shirts and slacks, not costumes, with a lanyard and generally carrying a long silver garbage picker. They get first pick for their lanyards and often have lots of Hidden Mickeys, etc.
"Gosh, Minnie. You've always been a princess to me." -Mickey