Fantasyland Expansion

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: Fantasyland Expansion...

Post by mindflipper » Mar Mon 07, 2011 10:40 am

I think most people are hoping that the Fantasyland Expansion and Star Tours 2.0 are just the first steps in a long range renovation plan (like a 10 year or 20 year plan). Hopefully - maybe - just praying - that EPCOT and DHS will get renovation plans announced in future years.

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Mar Mon 07, 2011 11:03 am

Esmeralda wrote:I'm a little late joining this discussion (over 50 pages?!), but I just don't understand the Fantasyland Expansion. I really enjoyed Toontown Fair and think the character houses will be missed. It wasn't terrible like California Adventure, and the new plans don't seem nearly so exciting (certainly nothing to compete with Mr. Potter next door...). If they wanted to make the Florida parks more exciting, how about taking a crack at MGM or even Future World?
The issue with Toontown is it was always supposed to be a temporary thing. People have always been critical of the florida fantasyland for being too small and lacking things when compared to California. In addition, fantasyland has been in bad shape. I believe there are water drainage issues, overcrowding and congested walkways. The expansion is a way to, what I feel, relieve these issues and improve upon the Florida fantasyland.

As mindflipper said, let's hope this is the start to seeing massive improvements in the other Florida parks.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by theBIGyowski » Mar Mon 07, 2011 11:08 am

Yeah...anyone who has been to Fantasyland at DLR knows how bad WDW's Fantasyland needs a face lift. For one thing, I have never been a fan of the "Medieval Fair" theme going on at WDW's version because it makes it look cheap...especially areas that aren't kept up as well. The refurb done at DLR was great and really added a lot of character and charm...something missing in that part of the MK.

I will hate seeing Mickey and Minnie's houses go away, but I know that it is worth the sacrifice to bring some character to Fantasyland.

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Mar Mon 07, 2011 11:17 am

Len90 wrote:Hmm interesting. From what I am getting out of this, there will be just a lot of open walking space in the area between Peter Pan and HM. Don't know if I am a fan of giving that much space to nothing. Disney definitely could have done something more with the Skyway building.
Wasted space is an illusion, Len90. The aerial photos makes the area to be created seem larger than it is. The area is a pretty small area in reality. Also, what the revised photo does not illustrate is the fact this area is also used as a "stroller parking lot" for people riding Peter Pan and IASW. So in reality it's not as wide open as you think it will be. It will just provide an additional walkway area to prevent the bottleneck that happens at the Yankee Trader store.

Esmeralda
Flight to the Moon Flight Director
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Post by Esmeralda » Mar Mon 07, 2011 2:42 pm

So are there going to be two sections to Fantasyland now? Or will they try for the circus theme throughout? I'm a bit confused - hopefully y'all haven't already gone through this before!
Drop another coin in slot and I will tell you more.

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Mar Mon 07, 2011 2:57 pm

Esmeralda wrote:So are there going to be two sections to Fantasyland now? Or will they try for the circus theme throughout? I'm a bit confused - hopefully y'all haven't already gone through this before!
The circus just will be one section within the Expansion, like the The Little Mermaid, Beauty & the Beast (dining & eating), and Snow White (mine-car roller coaster that I guess will be like the barn-stormer). Snow White's Scary Adventure will close as a result of the new mine-car ride and be turned into a Princess Meet & Greet area.

NaCler
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by NaCler » Mar Mon 07, 2011 3:07 pm

mf - Won't the new Circus area be a new land though and not necessarily part of Fantasyland? Toon Town was a separate land altogether. How do you tie in the circus theme with Fantasyland?

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Mar Mon 07, 2011 3:57 pm

NaCler wrote:mf - Won't the new Circus area be a new land though and not necessarily part of Fantasyland? Toon Town was a separate land altogether. How do you tie in the circus theme with Fantasyland?
Because of Dumbo - there will be some eating area themed to Casey Jr. too. The circus is from the Dumbo movie with anything else (like the barnstormer) just being attached on even though it was not from the Dumbo movie but is made to fit the theme.

MadEye
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler

Post by MadEye » Mar Mon 07, 2011 4:03 pm

mindflipper wrote:
NaCler wrote:mf - Won't the new Circus area be a new land though and not necessarily part of Fantasyland? Toon Town was a separate land altogether. How do you tie in the circus theme with Fantasyland?
Because of Dumbo - there will be some eating area themed to Casey Jr. too. The circus is from the Dumbo movie with anything else (like the barnstormer) just being attached on even though it was not from the Dumbo movie but is made to fit the theme.
With a look at some new concept art (can't remember where), it looks like Great Goofini is a circus act. The concept art had Goofy or Goofini (whichever you want to call him when it opens) in a cannon lighting the fuse with a helmet on. So it kinda fits.
We are all a little weird
And life's a little weird,
And when we find someone whose
Weirdness is compatible with ours,
We join up with them and fall in
Mutual weirdness and call it Love.”
― Dr. Seuss

Eames: Listen, if you're gonna perform INCEPTION, you need IMAGINATION.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Mar Mon 07, 2011 5:51 pm

MadEye wrote:
mindflipper wrote:
With a look at some new concept art (can't remember where), it looks like Great Goofini is a circus act. The concept art had Goofy or Goofini (whichever you want to call him when it opens) in a cannon lighting the fuse with a helmet on. So it kinda fits.
You have to use your imagination ;)

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Mar Mon 07, 2011 8:22 pm

MadEye wrote:
mindflipper wrote:
And that's how the barnstormer is being "re-themed" to fit the circus theme.

MadEye
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler

Post by MadEye » Mar Mon 07, 2011 9:59 pm

mindflipper wrote:
MadEye wrote:
mindflipper wrote:Because of Dumbo - there will be some eating area themed to Casey Jr. too. The circus is from the Dumbo movie with anything else (like the barnstormer) just being attached on even though it was not from the Dumbo movie but is made to fit the theme.
And that's how the barnstormer is being "re-themed" to fit the circus theme.
I should have figured it out with a name like Great Goofini! And I just remembered that I spotted the "concept art" which isn't really because it's more of an advertisement on the wall blocking MTTF by Teacups.
― Dr. Seuss

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Mar Mon 07, 2011 10:06 pm

Well, Mickey and Donald get the Philharmagic, so why shouldn't Goofy get his own ride too?

MadEye
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler

Post by MadEye » Mar Tue 08, 2011 7:32 am

mindflipper wrote:Well, Mickey and Donald get the Philharmagic, so why shouldn't Goofy get his own ride too?
He already did with Barnstormer... :goofy_bounce:
― Dr. Seuss

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Mar Tue 08, 2011 10:09 am

MadEye wrote:
mindflipper wrote:Well, Mickey and Donald get the Philharmagic, so why shouldn't Goofy get his own ride too?
He already did with Barnstormer... :goofy_bounce:
It's been a while since I've been in MTTF so I didn't remember that... :goofy: