All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: Fantasyland Expansion...

Post by mindflipper » Jan Thu 20, 2011 1:07 pm

Amy wrote:
nicklesm17 wrote:i too look forward to the mine coaster, but replacing snow white for a meet and greet makes me nervous. i was sad when they took away toad's wildrider, now this. whenever you lose an original, you increase the risk of losing more originals, kinda like a buffer zone. yes, snow white was certainly a main choice if you had to pick an original to give up, but now you're that much closer to losing (in some distant future) maybe the carousel of progress or some other cherished "old" ride? let's face it, attendance is hardly large for that one, most times you share the show w/ one other family. yet the loss of c.o.p. would really hurt, it's like the most sound link w/ walt at the parks. everytime i ride it, i feel like i'm back on a sunday night (growing up) watching walt disney presents. man i'd hate to lose that, even for a really "great" ride.
I always hold my breath about the carousel of progress because I love it so and I see the low attendance and fear for it's longevity. I too feel like it is one of the most direct links to Walt!
To me, CoP screams for renovation! It starts out in 1900's, then to 1920's, then 1940/50's, and then to...200X? They need to revise it so it's like 1900, 1950, 1990, and then 201X! IMHO a renovation could increase attendance. I don't think Walt had originally envisioned that the ride wouldn't be updated decade after decade.

Brian845
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Post by Brian845 » Jan Thu 20, 2011 1:34 pm

mindflipper wrote:
Amy wrote:I always hold my breath about the carousel of progress because I love it so and I see the low attendance and fear for it's longevity. I too feel like it is one of the most direct links to Walt!
To me, CoP screams for renovation! It starts out in 1900's, then to 1920's, then 1940/50's, and then to...200X? They need to revise it so it's like 1900, 1950, 1990, and then 201X! IMHO a renovation could increase attendance. I don't think Walt had originally envisioned that the ride wouldn't be updated decade after decade.
Now that's a good attitude! Rather than leaving it untouched, it would be great if they could renovate the ride. But animatronics might seem a little dated...how about animatronics for the 1900s scenes, and then 3D holograms for the future scene. That might really get people interested in it. If anyone could do 3D holograms, it'd be Disney...

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jan Thu 20, 2011 2:13 pm

Brian845 wrote:
mindflipper wrote:
Amy wrote:I always hold my breath about the carousel of progress because I love it so and I see the low attendance and fear for it's longevity. I too feel like it is one of the most direct links to Walt!
Now that's a good attitude! Rather than leaving it untouched, it would be great if they could renovate the ride. But animatronics might seem a little dated...how about animatronics for the 1900s scenes, and then 3D holograms for the future scene. That might really get people interested in it. If anyone could do 3D holograms, it'd be Disney...
I agree with updating the scenes, as you say, it is a big jump from 40/50's to not even the year we are currently in :roll: And I do think Disney would have approved of updating the attraction!
I really like your idea for 3D holograms Brian!!

jlpeaches255
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by jlpeaches255 » Jan Thu 20, 2011 7:00 pm

Didn't John Lasseter supposedly "save" some of the classic attraction like CoP, Swiss Family Treehouse, and Tom Sawyer Island?

But also wasn't it Walt's vision for things to change and expand? I know we all would like to keep much of the park intact and keep Walt's original vision alive but I guess the general ticket paying public does not share our passion for the classics. That being said there are lots of things I am no longer liking for this expansion. Even Dumbo, I agree that adding another Dumbo is a great idea but isn't much of Dumbo's appeal the view and the location? (Well maybe for the adults riding it) When I look at the new art, it looks impressive but I just don't want to ride it. Dumbo is popular not only because it is Dumbo but because of where it is. Look at the Magic Carpets and Triceratops Spin...not nearly as popular. As for Snow White, as nicklesm17 said, if you had to pick one to lose this could be the one. I do look forward to a Seven Dwarfs coaster, whether it is for kids or not.

MadEye
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler

Post by MadEye » Jan Fri 21, 2011 7:22 pm

I know this is for DCA but the one at MK Fantasyland will be basically the same in most aspects.

Here is an official video from inside the DCA version of Ariel's Undersea Adventure:

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2 ... adventure/
We are all a little weird
And life's a little weird,
And when we find someone whose
Weirdness is compatible with ours,
We join up with them and fall in
Mutual weirdness and call it Love.”
― Dr. Seuss

Eames: Listen, if you're gonna perform INCEPTION, you need IMAGINATION.

masterj345
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer

Post by masterj345 » Jan Sun 23, 2011 4:19 am

wow that looks pretty snazzy. cant wait to see it finally in action and up and running. hopefully it wont take till 2012

MadEye
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler

Post by MadEye » Jan Sun 23, 2011 8:45 am

masterj345 wrote:wow that looks pretty snazzy. cant wait to see it finally in action and up and running. hopefully it wont take till 2012
It will be done by then but that doesn't mean they will open it when it is done... :? Disney is planning on opening FLE mostly all together and that will be in 2012.
― Dr. Seuss

99Soulz
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by 99Soulz » Jan Sun 23, 2011 10:47 am

The latest release of the revamped plans state completion by early 2013 so might be longer than originally anticipated.

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Jan Sun 23, 2011 11:09 am

I wouldn't be surprised if the completion date doesn't get pushed back - and once more before the end of 2011. I'm shooting for May 2013. I remember when I went to IoA that had one date for HP World to open, and it was actually more than 6 months after that! And Test Track, which I have a shirt stating its opening date as May 1997, opened up about a year later.

MadEye
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler

Post by MadEye » Jan Sun 23, 2011 11:10 am

99Soulz wrote:The latest release of the revamped plans state completion by early 2013 so might be longer than originally anticipated.
I've heard Fall 2012. We'll just have to see how Disney plans the official opening.
― Dr. Seuss

99Soulz
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by 99Soulz » Jan Mon 24, 2011 9:18 am

MadEye wrote:
99Soulz wrote:The latest release of the revamped plans state completion by early 2013 so might be longer than originally anticipated.
I've heard Fall 2012. We'll just have to see how Disney plans the official opening.
That was the original timeline for the expansion (with Pixie Hollow to follow early 2013). All the new releases state 2013. I've attached the link to the Disney Parks Blog where they mention it in the last sentence.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2 ... gdom-park/

masterj345

Post by masterj345 » Jan Thu 27, 2011 12:21 am

it would be pretty awesome if they would throw in a roller coaster somewhere...so what is this ariel ride gonna be a dark ride?

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jan Thu 27, 2011 7:42 am

masterj345 wrote:it would be pretty awesome if they would throw in a roller coaster somewhere...so what is this ariel ride gonna be a dark ride?
I believe it is supposed to be very similar to Disney California Adventures' Little Mermaid ~ and I hope that is the case, because that looks awesome from the previews so far!
Here is one of the latest updates on the attraction...

timekeeper

Post by timekeeper » Jan Thu 27, 2011 8:23 am

Brian845 wrote: Now that's a good attitude! Rather than leaving it untouched, it would be great if they could renovate the ride. But animatronics might seem a little dated...how about animatronics for the 1900s scenes, and then 3D holograms for the future scene. That might really get people interested in it. If anyone could do 3D holograms, it'd be Disney...
I love the idea of 3-d additions. I love the ride but Dd thinks its a torture to ride it, might be because I am humming the song all day after we finish it. They need to keep it current to keep an audience.

MadEye
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler

Post by MadEye » Jan Thu 27, 2011 8:35 am

Amy wrote:
masterj345 wrote:it would be pretty awesome if they would throw in a roller coaster somewhere...so what is this ariel ride gonna be a dark ride?
I believe it is supposed to be very similar to Disney California Adventures' Little Mermaid ~ and I hope that is the case, because that looks awesome from the previews so far!
Here is one of the latest updates on the attraction...
And you would be correct. The only differences between the two are the outside of the buildings (obviously) and one is a little longer, track wise, than the other (don't remember which one at the moment).
― Dr. Seuss