What Bygone Restaurant Do You Miss From WDW?

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

What Bygone Restaurant Do You Miss From WDW?

Post by mindflipper » Sep Sun 06, 2009 7:26 pm

I have three restaurants no longer at WDW I miss and wish one day could return:
(1) Empress Lily - both restaurants in the front and the rear. Just not the same now its Fulton's.
(2) Alfredo's Ristorante di Roma - the new one is more trendy than authentic. Alfredo's was REAL Italian (having been to Rome and been at that restaurant too).

Any previous dining experience you miss?

MadEye
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler

Post by MadEye » Sep Sun 06, 2009 8:11 pm

The Odyssey. I remember eating there one time during the holidays. It would be cool to eat in there and not just walk by it during a special event for someone else. :(
Last edited by MadEye on Sep Mon 07, 2009 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
We are all a little weird
And life's a little weird,
And when we find someone whose
Weirdness is compatible with ours,
We join up with them and fall in
Mutual weirdness and call it Love.”
― Dr. Seuss

Eames: Listen, if you're gonna perform INCEPTION, you need IMAGINATION.

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Sep Mon 07, 2009 1:04 am

MadEye wrote:The Odyssey. I remember eating there one time during the holidays. It would be cool to eat in there and not just walk by it during a special event for someone elsee. :(
I miss the Odyssey too. I only went there once...1992 on a school trip and we ate breakfast there. But it made an impression on me. Something about it was unlike any theme park restaurant I'd ever been in before...far enough away from the hustle and bustle of the rest of the park but a fabulous view of it all.

kcookiebaker
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Post by kcookiebaker » Sep Mon 07, 2009 5:41 am

There was a little deli in the Village, does anyone remember the name of it? We used to love going there for a sandwich and great dill pickle spear...was it the Heidelberger? It was a simpler time.

noledawg
Main Street Cinema Projectionist
Main Street Cinema Projectionist

It's not a restaurant...

Post by noledawg » Sep Mon 07, 2009 7:32 am

but in Liberty Square, when I was a child in the 70s, I used to get something called Little Patriot's Punch. I'm sure it was just fruit punch, but it was served in a really cool way. I think it was in a fruit shaped container. Does that ring a bell?
The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page. -- St. Augustine

missynole
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer

Post by missynole » Sep Mon 07, 2009 8:00 am

kcookiebaker wrote:There was a little deli in the Village, does anyone remember the name of it? We used to love going there for a sandwich and great dill pickle spear...was it the Heidelberger? It was a simpler time.
I love the Heidelberger Deli. You used to get these great corned beef and pastrami sandwiches and a VERY LARGE PICKLE! Yummy!

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Sep Mon 07, 2009 6:00 pm

I agree the Odyssey seems wasted at EPCOT. And as to those fruit drinks at Liberty Square in the fruit shape cups - yes, I do remember those! Wow, they had to be back in the late 70's, right?

srik
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by srik » Sep Tue 08, 2009 7:46 am

wow, the fruit drinks in the fruit shaped cups! I had completely forgotton about them! Thanks mind flipper!

I also miss Gurgi's Munchies and Crunchies. I know it was just a quick service and Scuttle's Landing is probably close enough, but I liked having Gurgi in the park!

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Sep Tue 08, 2009 10:02 am

Someone had told me that they no longer do the McDonald's French Fries in the park. Is that true? I loved'em as a quick snack.

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Sep Tue 08, 2009 11:32 am

mindflipper wrote:Someone had told me that they no longer do the McDonald's French Fries in the park. Is that true? I loved'em as a quick snack.
The McDonald's fries are no more in the parks! We were so disappointed on our May trip, we were really looking forward to sitting down in Fantasyland and enjoying some warm McDonald's fries. :( If you want them now, you'll have to venture to Downtown Disney.

cousininmiami
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide

Post by cousininmiami » Sep Tue 08, 2009 11:47 am

Everyone in the family misses the Beaver Tails at the kiosk ouside of the Canada Pavillion. They were awesome! It was like a gi-normous fried donut thingy with whatever topping you wanted. Truely bad for you, geeeeze, but really yummy!
°o° "...it's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of every day" °o°

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Sep Tue 08, 2009 1:11 pm

Sorry to hear about the McDonald's Fries, too. Would it have killed them to replace with their own exact replica of the McDonald's fries?

SimonTemplar
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Re: It's not a restaurant...

Post by SimonTemplar » Sep Tue 08, 2009 6:39 pm

noledawg wrote:but in Liberty Square, when I was a child in the 70s, I used to get something called Little Patriot's Punch. I'm sure it was just fruit punch, but it was served in a really cool way. I think it was in a fruit shaped container. Does that ring a bell?
Ah yes, I do remember those. I can recall purple grapes and an orange, but I'm sure there were others. That was mid-late 70s, and I think you could get them at Sunshine Tree Terrace in Adventureland.

And I do miss The Odyssey in Epcot (only ate there once, I believe). Total waste of a prime location now.
"Here in Florida, we have something special we never enjoyed at Disneyland...the blessing of size. There's enough land here to hold all the ideas and plans we can possibly imagine." ~ Walt Disney

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Sep Tue 08, 2009 10:49 pm

Hey, does anyone out there have any old photos of the Empress Lilly? Would you post them on here?

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Sep Tue 08, 2009 11:38 pm

I miss Alfredo's the food was great (I'm Full Blooded Italian) and Disney needs to bring back Beaver Tails!!
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage