Rumor: The tarps in CommuniCore Plaza may be coming down!

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

Future Guy
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

Rumor: The tarps in CommuniCore Plaza may be coming down!

Post by Future Guy » Sep Thu 03, 2009 4:11 pm

According to this thread at WDWMagic, WDI filed for a permit entitled "Epcot Promenade Structure Removal Package" with the county on August 27. No one really knows exactly what the "Epcot Promenade Structure" is, but there's widespread speculation that it's the hated tarps in CommuniCore Plaza. The rumor is bolstered by the fact that some work has been done in the area recently. The breezeways to Future World West and Future World East were painted blue and green, respectively (pictures here), and the new color scheme noticeably does NOT complement the whirlygigs and all the other clutter that was installed in the plaza during its 1990s Eisnerization, which would lead one to believe that the new color scheme is but a first step in a bigger renovation of the area.

Let's cross our fingers and hope that the visual clutter that mucks up the area will be gone soon. I'd sure love to come back from WDW in January with pictures of a tarp-and-whirlygig-free CommuniCore plaza!

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Sep Thu 03, 2009 4:25 pm

They were working on painting the breezeways back in July when I was there. I don't recall which one or it was both, but they had about half of the breezeway walled off with the sign that they are building the future EPCOT. I for one kind of liked the twirling things and the tarps. I would always take a picture of them since they were something that you never see anywhere else. If these go, does that also mean new signs for Futureworld too?
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

kcarts
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Post by kcarts » Sep Thu 03, 2009 4:27 pm

1400 AOTS in Epcot is the mailing address for the Innoventions East building. When I googled it, it came up as a mailing address for some sort of science internship. So it could just be the address they use when the file for something at Epcot. Does anyone know what address they used when they filed to take down the wand?

I'm thinking that maybe they are finally going to do something with the Wonders of Life Pavilion.

packwingfn
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by packwingfn » Sep Thu 03, 2009 5:42 pm

I hope they finally remove the tarps. I think Innoventions Plaza will look much better with those tarps not there. I would think they would have removed the tarps when they took down the wand for the 25th anniversary but I guess they'll be down for the 27th anniversary lol
I know this is probably your first flight...and it's mine too...ha, ha

Rain upon that planet Earth. And they rain ... and rain ... and rain. The deluge.

timekeeper
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Post by timekeeper » Sep Fri 04, 2009 7:09 am

I like the whirlys! The tarps can go, they didnt make much sense to me...

agingerbugg
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by agingerbugg » Sep Fri 04, 2009 7:55 am

It's about time. I have never liked the whirlys, I always thought they were a little tacky because they never seemed to work right.

Does EPCOT still have the fiber optics embedded in the pavement around SSE? I remember that from when the whirlys first appeared, but I don't remember them recently. Of course when they first appeared I was 13 and now I am over 21 and been around the World Showcase, so I am not as coherent when I leave.
They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

-Benjamin Franklin

Mr.ToadWildRider

Post by Mr.ToadWildRider » Sep Fri 04, 2009 8:02 am

I personally like the tarps and whirly doo-dads :? Oh well, change is (sometimes) good.

disneylizzy
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by disneylizzy » Sep Fri 04, 2009 9:08 am

agingerbugg wrote:It's about time. I have never liked the whirlys, I always thought they were a little tacky because they never seemed to work right.

Does EPCOT still have the fiber optics embedded in the pavement around SSE? I remember that from when the whirlys first appeared, but I don't remember them recently. Of course when they first appeared I was 13 and now I am over 21 and been around the World Showcase, so I am not as coherent when I leave.
The fiber optic lights in the pavement are still there.

And just to build on what another poster was saying, the pavement through the walkways there is not being painted - it is being taken out and repaved. I know this b/c a CM on our unDISCOVERED Future World tour told us.

The reason is the the pavement gets worn down and very slick over time so they're adding new pavement w/ more grooves so guests don't slip there. If you look at the pavement from the plaza to MS, you can see the new grooved pavement and the old slippery stuff in different places.

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Sep Fri 04, 2009 9:46 am

They're getting rid of those fiber optic tiles in the pavement?! I love those! I will be sad to see those go. :(

briandancer
Main Street Horse Car Coachman
Main Street Horse Car Coachman

Post by briandancer » Sep Fri 04, 2009 9:53 am

I hate to say it, but I like the tarps and whirlies. =)

Future Guy

Post by Future Guy » Sep Fri 04, 2009 10:09 am

boilerbabe wrote:They're getting rid of those fiber optic tiles in the pavement?! I love those! I will be sad to see those go. :(
I don't think they are. As I understand it, the only tiles that were replaced were the ones in the breezeways that connect the plaza to Future World East and Future World West.

I like the fiber optics in the pavement, too.

disneylizzy
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by disneylizzy » Sep Fri 04, 2009 10:53 am

Like Future Guy says, they are NOT getting rid of the fiber optics in the pavement -- my favorite ones are over by Innoventions. Sorry if my first response was confusing!

They are just updating the pavement in the breezeway area's between Innoventions and the Character greeting spot and MouseGears respectively.

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Sep Sat 05, 2009 1:30 am

disneylizzy wrote:Like Future Guy says, they are NOT getting rid of the fiber optics in the pavement -- my favorite ones are over by Innoventions. Sorry if my first response was confusing!

They are just updating the pavement in the breezeway area's between Innoventions and the Character greeting spot and MouseGears respectively.
I'm actually shocked it took Disney this long to do that. I really thought that the tiles there should have been replaced years ago. It can get really slick there and it seemed very easy to fall. I guess that is what must have been behind the construction walls. I did try and peak through/around them. I thought it was for the painting that was going on, but this fits it. I
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

Joe90

Post by Joe90 » Sep Sat 05, 2009 3:34 am

Those "Tarps" are more poetically called "sail shades" and they provide a little shade in the plaza. I like them :)

I also like the pointless "whirlies". I'm sure there must be a more poetic name for those as well. They are a kind of modern street art with an Epcot Futureworld flavour.

I have looked at how to make my own fiber optic pavement :mickey: It is actually pretty easy. Just wait until I remodel my garden.
"We live in a society absolutely dependent on science and technology and yet have cleverly arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. " Carl Sagan

sherabby
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by sherabby » Sep Sat 05, 2009 8:56 pm

A CM this past trip told us to jump on the fiber optic lights and it would make them brigher. I'd hate to see those go.
[img]http://www.mickeypath.com/id/1251097102.jpg[/img]