Quirky Secrets of WDW

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Aug Thu 27, 2009 10:34 pm

Fantastory wrote:I noticed the ToT glasses but wasn't sure if they counted as an official Hidden Mickey. I took a pic just in case!
I saw these and took a picture too when I went on it for the first time this past July. I think it is most likely an official hidden mickey.

I knew about the two halves of the plane but never knew about the hidden mickey in the rivets on the plane body. That is very interesting and I will have to look at that next time I go.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

DisBeamer
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by DisBeamer » Aug Fri 28, 2009 8:18 pm

Fantastory wrote:The storyline I was told for HM on the Keys to the Kingdom tour (which is fantastic - I highly recommend it) was that the bride was supposed to marry the owner of the mansion (Gracey? no names were given) but the night of the wedding he caught her upstairs with another man. The men fought and I can't remember if one got his head cut off (hence the ghost with a hatbox in DL) or got pushed out the window, and the bride, distraught, threw herself out the window after him. That's the only time I've heard that version anywhere. When I returned as a CM, other CMs looked at me funny for it.
It's interesting; the story I heard on Keys to the Kingdom (which I agree is fantastic) was that "There are 999 ghosts, and there's room for one more." Our guide said that was the only 'official' story ever created, and that all the other interpretations are just that; interpretations. Makes you wonder how much of that tour comes from official stuff the CMs have to say and how much they just insert.

This was several years before the attic refurb and the importing of the DL black widow story, however, so I suppose that's changed.
~ Caroline

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v480/atoning_unifex/Caroline%20Gaia/tta.gif[/img]

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Aug Fri 28, 2009 8:24 pm

DisBeamer wrote:
Fantastory wrote:The storyline I was told for HM on the Keys to the Kingdom tour (which is fantastic - I highly recommend it) was that the bride was supposed to marry the owner of the mansion (Gracey? no names were given) but the night of the wedding he caught her upstairs with another man. The men fought and I can't remember if one got his head cut off (hence the ghost with a hatbox in DL) or got pushed out the window, and the bride, distraught, threw herself out the window after him. That's the only time I've heard that version anywhere. When I returned as a CM, other CMs looked at me funny for it.
It's interesting; the story I heard on Keys to the Kingdom (which I agree is fantastic) was that "There are 999 ghosts, and there's room for one more." Our guide said that was the only 'official' story ever created, and that all the other interpretations are just that; interpretations. Makes you wonder how much of that tour comes from official stuff the CMs have to say and how much they just insert.

This was several years before the attic refurb and the importing of the DL black widow story, however, so I suppose that's changed.
This is why I believe the imagineers purposely added so many facets to the ride so that everyone comes up with their own conclusions...who knows? Maybe there isn't an "original" story. (not likely, since Disney puts a story behind everything...but you never know. Maybe they thought they could throw the public for a loop. Technically there is a story...the one you make up) :D

kingjamesut
Main Street Horse Car Coachman
Main Street Horse Car Coachman

Post by kingjamesut » Aug Sat 29, 2009 10:04 am

MmeLeota wrote:
DisBeamer wrote:

This is why I believe the imagineers purposely added so many facets to the ride so that everyone comes up with their own conclusions...who knows? Maybe there isn't an "original" story. (not likely, since Disney puts a story behind everything...but you never know. Maybe they thought they could throw the public for a loop. Technically there is a story...the one you make up) :D
I read somewhere that, like pirates of the caribbean, there is no story save for the collection of vignettes on a common theme which allowed for you the rider the job of creating your own interpretation of the story. Therefore the story behind the haunted mansion is that there is no story.

happysneakers
Sleeping Beauty Castle Guard

Post by happysneakers » Aug Sat 29, 2009 4:39 pm

Here's one for Rock 'n Roller coaster: Read a few of the license plates on the Limos; 1QKLIMO, UGOGIRL, BUHBYE, 2FAST4U, H8TRFFC.

Blackie Pueblo
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

Post by Blackie Pueblo » Aug Sat 29, 2009 5:16 pm

I just wanted to say I absolutely love this topic and thank you all for your postings.

For you history buffs like myself, in Liberty Square in the 2nd floor window on the side of the Hall of Presidents , facing towards the Haunted Mansion, there's two lanterns of Paul Revere when he warned how the British were coming, " One if by land, two if by sea."

"To all who come to this happy place... welcome!"
---Walter Elias Disney

Soarin08
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by Soarin08 » Aug Sat 29, 2009 10:58 pm

Blackie Pueblo wrote:I just wanted to say I absolutely love this topic and thank you all for your postings.

For you history buffs like myself, in Liberty Square in the 2nd floor window on the side of the Hall of Presidents , facing towards the Haunted Mansion, there's two lanterns of Paul Revere when he warned how the British were coming, " One if by land, two if by sea."

"To all who come to this happy place... welcome!"
---Walter Elias Disney
Another Liberty Square one- there's a small sign on the door to one of the shops (Christmas one, maybe?) that says "Voice Lessons by Ichabod Crane." I just noticed it the last time I was at MK. Made me smile. :)

DisBeamer
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by DisBeamer » Aug Sun 30, 2009 3:28 am

kingjamesut wrote:
MmeLeota wrote:This is why I believe the imagineers purposely added so many facets to the ride so that everyone comes up with their own conclusions...who knows? Maybe there isn't an "original" story. (not likely, since Disney puts a story behind everything...but you never know. Maybe they thought they could throw the public for a loop. Technically there is a story...the one you make up) :D
I read somewhere that, like pirates of the caribbean, there is no story save for the collection of vignettes on a common theme which allowed for you the rider the job of creating your own interpretation of the story. Therefore the story behind the haunted mansion is that there is no story.
I was gonna say, I'm not sure I agree Disney puts a story behind everything and cite (the original) PotC. As far as I know, the 'story' behind that was always just 'pirates sacking a town'. I mean, okay, that's a story, but it's not as detailed as the whole Master Gracey schtick that most of us Disney Geeks are familiar with.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the original story of the HM was just 'touring a haunted house'. If you look back at some of the video (er, film) of Walt showing off DL attractions before they opened, it's certainly portrayed that way.

They put in a ton of detail, definitely, and I think it's a testament to the Imagineers and their detail that we can concoct all these stories out of the rides. :)

To take that further, though, which rides really have 'stories' that aren't based on films? I can't really think of any ... but it's late.
~ Caroline

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v480/atoning_unifex/Caroline%20Gaia/tta.gif[/img]

Captain Schnemo
Columbia Sailing Ship Admiral
Columbia Sailing Ship Admiral

Post by Captain Schnemo » Aug Sun 30, 2009 9:21 am

This has been mentioned before around here, but I think the obsession with "story" is a more recent thing. I know there's one top Imagineer who's always going on about it.

In the strictest sense, a linear story is not as cool as a more generic experience, in part for the reasons mentioned above.

Take the Mexico ride, for example. The old attraction had some weaknesses, but it seems an altogether more pleasurable experience than the "story" of "Where's Donald?". Well, there he is. Story over.

The older version felt more like exploration than being led by the nose, and in my young imagination, it felt like there was simply more to it.

I always imagined there was much more to Pirates, just around the corner, even though I know I'd probably just find some plywood, hydraulics, or maybe an emergency exit.

For dark rides, I tend to prefer an open-ended experience like the original Journey into Imagination. Even Horizons, which had narration, didn't have a strict storyline. It bounced around, showing you the wonders of tech and how they'd affect lifestyles, but it wasn't the same as following a single protagonist around.

When you're exploring, there's always more to see, but when you focus on story, then once you know the ending, something is lost.

You can even make the comparison between something like Captain EO, which told an explicit movie-like story, to Magic Journeys, which was just a headtrip. Journeys seemed a much better fit to me, in the Imagination pavilion.

If you'll forgive another metaphor, it's the difference between moving through an open-ended video game, finding little Easter eggs and tricks you can do, as opposed to being led around on a rail, punctuated with cut scenes you can't interact with.

I'm not sure this holds true for all attractions, however. And people do watch their favorite movies over and over, and the best of them provide new discoveries each time through. Some things do just work better as stories, but I think the most of the exploratory attractions do more to stimulate the imagination.

happysneakers

Post by happysneakers » Sep Tue 01, 2009 8:30 am

Heres a pretty cool one i learned about last year: While taking the WDW buses for transportation listen to the music. During the day as you go from resort to resort or to different parks the music changes to include the theme of where you are heading. At night the music is soft and kind of jazzy to help people unwind. I just never noticed this before and thought id share

MadEye
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler

Post by MadEye » Sep Tue 01, 2009 8:49 pm

happysneakers wrote:Heres a pretty cool one i learned about last year: While taking the WDW buses for transportation listen to the music. During the day as you go from resort to resort or to different parks the music changes to include the theme of where you are heading. At night the music is soft and kind of jazzy to help people unwind. I just never noticed this before and thought id share
From Transportation/Ticket Center to Hollywood Studios the bus plays the theme from Halloween. Michael Myers... Interesting choice for Disney transportation.
We are all a little weird
And life's a little weird,
And when we find someone whose
Weirdness is compatible with ours,
We join up with them and fall in
Mutual weirdness and call it Love.”
― Dr. Seuss

Eames: Listen, if you're gonna perform INCEPTION, you need IMAGINATION.

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Sep Tue 01, 2009 9:41 pm

happysneakers wrote:Heres a pretty cool one i learned about last year: While taking the WDW buses for transportation listen to the music. During the day as you go from resort to resort or to different parks the music changes to include the theme of where you are heading. At night the music is soft and kind of jazzy to help people unwind. I just never noticed this before and thought id share
Very Interesting. I only noticed the Mickey Mouse March when you pull into the Magic Kingdom. I didn't know the music is themed for the time of day and for the places you are traveling. I must say the music from the MK to our resort at night was very soothing and a nice way to end the night.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

Future Guy

Post by Future Guy » Sep Wed 02, 2009 10:17 am

I haven't been on the bus since 2004. I'll have to listen for that when we're there in a few months.

rknrlrcstr
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by rknrlrcstr » Sep Wed 02, 2009 3:41 pm

I am not sure if this qualifies as quirky, but part of the plans for Future World (as it was built) was to have a peoplemover system that travelled above the Communicores for the guests to preview the exhibits within.
Are we there yet? When can we go back?

I don't know what's worse, the anticipation of going or the withdrawals after getting home.

Soarin08
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by Soarin08 » Sep Wed 02, 2009 6:54 pm

rknrlrcstr wrote:I am not sure if this qualifies as quirky, but part of the plans for Future World (as it was built) was to have a peoplemover system that travelled above the Communicores for the guests to preview the exhibits within.
Cool!!! That would have been neat. :)