Man guilty of groping Minnie Mouse at Disney

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Aug Tue 18, 2009 10:17 am

I agree with what Len said! None of us here agree with the situation. I'm a woman and I didn't find the comments here offensive. It's not like they were saying they think it's great and would do the same and then put the joke in. I'm getting tired of nasty posts/comments around here. I'm noticing it more lately. :( Maybe one of the mods should lock this thread if we can't all be nice?!

ckc0915
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by ckc0915 » Aug Tue 18, 2009 12:35 pm

boilerbabe wrote:I agree with what Len said! None of us here agree with the situation. I'm a woman and I didn't find the comments here offensive. It's not like they were saying they think it's great and would do the same and then put the joke in. I'm getting tired of nasty posts/comments around here. I'm noticing it more lately. :( Maybe one of the mods should lock this thread if we can't all be nice?!
100% concur with boilerbabe...

Mr.ToadWildRider
Flight to the Moon Flight Director
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Post by Mr.ToadWildRider » Aug Tue 18, 2009 1:11 pm

Well, since PirateFan initially commented on my comment I feel some compulsion to respond (I realize I did earlier but since things have heated up a bit since then and there seems to be some clustering of comments I'll post again).

I realize I made a comment in a somewhat joking fashion, but I certainly don't condone someone grabbing another person. I think what he did was wrong and I'm glad he is being punished for his actions. At the same time, as an outsider, I'm not entirely sure I would label this a sex crime or sexual assault. It may very well have been a sexual assault if he was aware of his actions (in terms of how he was grabbing the CM, not in terms of how he grabbed the Minnie suit).

I think from the picture itself, it seems like the guy is just some sort of moron who thought he was being funny; not trying to grab some CM's breasts. I base this comment off the very stance that Disney has stated several times in the past and from personal experience (not grabbing a costumed CM or having one grab me inappropriately, but just posing/interacting with them) that the costumes are very thick and clearly covered in fur and make it very difficult for whoever is inside to know how they are touching someone outside the suit and vice versa. I've had Pluto grab my face before trying to wrap their arm around my neck. He/she didn't even know until I touched their hand and made some kind of surprised noise.

It is completely inappropriate to grab any costumed characters privates and one should be punished for that. What I think people may be reading too much into is that the guy not only grabbed Minnie's breasts, but also the CM's as well, and I'm not sure he even realized he was doing that. That doesn't make it alright, or a joke, but if the guy truly didn't mean to grab the CM that way, and I can believe that he didn't and have not seen what he was actually convicted of (the article wasn't very descript) nor have I seen any of the evidence.

I don't think he's quite on par with the recent sickos who were arrested at Typhoon Lagoon for exposing themselves to children or fondling children in the wave pool (you can actually find these articles linked through the Minnie Mouse article); nor would I equate his actions with rape. I think, judging from what evidence was shown to the public (the photo) he's just a donkey's rear end who got way too carried away and ended up getting justly punished for his behavior.

If I personally offended you I apologize. I'm also sorry that something horrible happened to your sister. On the other hand, I feel as though your experience through your sister's experience may be making you a bit hypersensitive to some of the comments and leading you to react in a hurtful way in response. I don't think that this guy was convicted of any kind of sexual assault from the article, and judging from the penalty and wording of the argument I would assume it was probably a simple battery (note "simple" is not my word, that is what the crime is called when it is not with the use of a dangerous weapon), in other words he put his hands on someone without their permission and caused them some sort of harm. Again, even this isn't a joking matter and the joking comments probably weren't appropriate either, but I for one don't think I'm barbaric, or Metsofny is either. I think your language is a little strong as though we think somehow rape is acceptable and even worse comical and I for one couldn't disagree more.

EDIT: The story actually says "misdemeanor battery" which for me confirms the guy wasn't convicted of a sexual assault. It's when you touch someone without their permission (assault is usually the threat or some kind of provocation that aggravates the situation). Does that mean that the guy wasn't trying to grab the CM inside? No, of course not; but it does mean there wasn't enough evidence to demonstrate he was. This futher solidifies my inclination that this guy was just some tool trying to make his "adult son" laugh. An idiot yes, a rapist no.

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Aug Tue 18, 2009 7:16 pm

boilerbabe wrote:I'm getting tired of nasty posts/comments around here. I'm noticing it more lately. :( Maybe one of the mods should lock this thread if we can't all be nice?!
Very true. It is saddening to see this happening on this boards. I honestly expected this from another board I am a part of (not disney related).
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

metsofny
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

Post by metsofny » Aug Tue 18, 2009 8:07 pm

Mr.ToadWildRider pretty much says it all. Some of you need a sense of humor. You won't be very happy in life getting offended by every little joke. I'm sure the young woman in this case wasn't scarred for life. The idiot who did it will pay the price for his stupid actions.
(barbaric little me)

ckc0915

Post by ckc0915 » Aug Tue 18, 2009 9:43 pm

haha mets , your pic made me chuckle :lol:
[img]http://www.mickeypath.com/id/1277622036.jpg[/img]

usetonamick
Omnibus Driver
Omnibus Driver

Post by usetonamick » Aug Wed 19, 2009 10:38 am

Where did this happen in the park?