All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

ronatie
Casey Junior Circus Train Conductor
Casey Junior Circus Train Conductor

World Showcase vs. The Real Country

Post by ronatie » Aug Fri 07, 2009 1:24 am

I have a question for those of you who've traveled:

Whenever I'd go to the Italy pavilion, a relative of mine who'd lived in Italy and had eaten at the real Alfredo's always said the Disney version was way better than the real thing....and not to mention cleaner.

Has anyone else had a similar experience in one of the real countries?

Mr.ToadWildRider
Flight to the Moon Flight Director
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Post by Mr.ToadWildRider » Aug Fri 07, 2009 9:41 am

Well I've never eaten at Alfredo's in Rome, but have been to and dined in Italy and can tell you the food is definitely, without a doubt better in the real Italy.

Mexico is a bit tough, because I honestly can't remember having what we in the States consider "Mexican food" in Mexico.

And the pubs in England are better than at WS (sorry).

Alternatively, I will say that I can almost gaurantee that 100% of the time the WS version is cleaner than it's real life counterpart.

Nicc513
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Post by Nicc513 » Aug Fri 07, 2009 9:58 am

LOL - this was always my grandmother's excuse to me for not allowing me to go on my high school French Club's trips to Quebec and France. "You've been to Epcot, why do you need to go to the real country?"

The pavilions at Epcot show you a condensed, "only-good-things" version of the nations. It's like a tourism brochure come to life. For better or worse, nothing is better than experiencing the real thing. In some ways, I think the idealized versions of the nations in WS create undue expectations of what you're going to see in a country if/when you ever visit. (i.e. There are NOT mariachi bands playing on every corner in Mexico)

Is the American Adventure pavilion better than my experience as an American? Nope. Don't get me wrong, the AA attraction is my absolute favorite at WDW...gives me goosebumps and a lump in my throat every time. It's nice to help others learn the basics about our history and for us as Americans to celebrate those ideals, but it's not like getting out on the road and seeing the real America.
Last edited by Nicc513 on Aug Fri 07, 2009 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring - it was peace." ~ Milan Kundera

Future Guy
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

Post by Future Guy » Aug Fri 07, 2009 10:09 am

I've never been to Mexico, but the best Mexican food I've ever had was at a little restaurant called El Potro that was run by actual Mexican people. It beat the heck out of the San Angel Inn, even if I didn't get to eat in an elaborately themed Mexican courtyard area.

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Aug Fri 07, 2009 10:36 am

I've been to Mexico more than once and although the Mexican food in WS is excellent in my opinion, the BEST Mexican food I've ever eaten was in Xcaret in Mexico. I've never tasted anything that wonderful.

My DH is Italian and grew up going to Italy, he said WS is a close second but you still can't beat the real thing.

I have to agree with Nicc513, WS is like a brochure come to life! That was a good comparison!

I think the Imagineears did a wonderful job recreating the countries! Did anyone see the SNL skit where there are imitating Suzie Orman?! A caller called in and said he wanted to see Europe, Suzie replied back "Well my friend, buy yourself a ticket to EPCOT, get a Tobleron and put it in your waste purse." I thought that was so funny! Why travel the world when you can go to Disney?! :)

missynole
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer

Post by missynole » Aug Fri 07, 2009 11:51 am

I did go to Alberta Canada to visit Banff National Park. There was a hotel if I remember correctly that looked a lot like the big building at the Canadian Pavilion. This is terrible because I can't remember if Disney built the Canadian Pavilion with a particular monument or hotel in mind but I can say that I also don't remember any pretzle bread while I was in Canada. I did see a bear, though!

Joe90

Post by Joe90 » Aug Fri 07, 2009 4:07 pm

I've been to all of the real countries in WS with the exceptions of Japan and China.

One country at a time.

Great Britain.
Some of the Pubs are much much worse, some are better. The beer and the Fish and chips are generally much better in the real country. (Bass=blea)

Other than that it is a fairly idyllic representation.
The WS version looks similar to the area I live in :)

In my next post France.
"We live in a society absolutely dependent on science and technology and yet have cleverly arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. " Carl Sagan

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Aug Fri 07, 2009 10:57 pm

I can only talk for one country: Canada which I currently happen to be in.
I was in Toronto and currently am in Niagara. I found that the steaks are amazing in Canada, but Le Cellier still has the best steak that I have ever eaten. I didn't see any buildings with the architecture that they have in the World Showcase. The waiters and waitresses out here are extremely friendly which is exactly how they are in Le Cellier. Overall, I think Disney did a great job with the pavilion, but it doesn't represent all of Canada.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Aug Fri 07, 2009 11:26 pm

Now, I have only been to Vancouver & Victoria B.C., so I can only speak for them...but I believe that the pavilion is mainly modeled after Western Canada. I remember seeing totem poles and lodges and having a more rustic feel to certain areas. I get that feeling when walking through the pavilion.

Like with any of the pavilions, there's no way they can fully represent a country, but it's a well executed taste.

Lion Sleeps Tonight
Rocket Jets Flight Director
Rocket Jets Flight Director

Post by Lion Sleeps Tonight » Aug Sat 08, 2009 4:47 pm

Been to different places in China, and while the food at Nine Dragons is good (but not worth the price, imho), it's not fair to compare because it's rather Americanized to begin with.

However, the architecture and inside designs of the replicas of the buildings of the Forbidden City are pretty much spot on.
"A pirate in irons be full o' guile.
And the blackest 'art wears the broadest smile."

Oh, and "Welcome Home."

DisBeamer
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by DisBeamer » Aug Sat 08, 2009 8:27 pm

MmeLeota wrote:Now, I have only been to Vancouver & Victoria B.C., so I can only speak for them...but I believe that the pavilion is mainly modeled after Western Canada. I remember seeing totem poles and lodges and having a more rustic feel to certain areas. I get that feeling when walking through the pavilion.
Close. The main building in the Canada pavilion is modeled after Château Laurier, which is a hotel in Ottawa. Having seen the real one, it's a pretty close replica. The gardens are patterned after/inspired by Butchart Gardens, which are in Victoria (well, north of), so landscape-wise, at least the front part of the pavilion is more western-inspired.

Speaking as a Random Canadian(TM), I don't think the pavilion is really anything like the Canada I'm from, apart from the fact you can get decent wine and chocolate (I've never seen a real totem pole in my life...). To be fair, though, it's hard to moosh the 2nd largest country in the world into an little World Showcase chunk.

I have long assumed this is true of most of the pavilions in WS - it's a caricature of certain aspects of the country. It's a nice pavilion, though.
~ Caroline

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v480/atoning_unifex/Caroline%20Gaia/tta.gif[/img]

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Aug Sun 09, 2009 10:46 pm

Thank you for the clarification Dis...

I agree about trying to fit all of the aspects of each country into a small pavilion. But I still love it!

What part of Canada are you from?

kcookiebaker
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Post by kcookiebaker » Aug Mon 10, 2009 2:04 pm

There are fewer flies in the Disney version of Morocco.

missynole

Post by missynole » Aug Mon 10, 2009 2:12 pm

kcookiebaker wrote:There are fewer flies in the Disney version of Morocco.
LOL!!!!!!!!! :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

cousininmiami
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide

Post by cousininmiami » Aug Tue 11, 2009 8:53 am

I've been to the real England, France, Italy and Mexico. I love Europe and my favorite place in the world is Rome, but I still say go to EPCOT... I hate to fly!
°o° "...it's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of every day" °o°