Another case of Disney in the news...

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

casrin
Columbia Sailing Ship Admiral

Another case of Disney in the news...

Post by casrin » Jul Fri 24, 2009 3:05 pm

A Holly, MI couple was arrested after leaving their foster kids unattended while they went to the pool at Caribbean Beach. Source: http://www.freep.com/article/20090721/N ... 063/?imw=Y

This caught my attention for two reasons: one, I'm from Michigan. Two, one of my part-time jobs is foster care related. Egads, right?
-[b]casrin[/b]
[url=http://ubanimator.com][img]http://www-personal.umd.umich.edu/~cparkins/images/userbar/userbar487580pb0.gif[/img][/url]

PureDisney
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer

Post by PureDisney » Jul Fri 24, 2009 4:40 pm

It always amazes me what people will do without thinking. I'm glad that the housekeeper found them.

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Jul Fri 24, 2009 5:15 pm

People are unreal!

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Jul Fri 24, 2009 5:43 pm

This is just terrible. I know it always happens where parents just leave their kids at the resort pool and feel the lifeguards are babysitters. Those parents are disgraceful.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

Clusty
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by Clusty » Jul Fri 24, 2009 9:25 pm

Really sad. Although I'm glad that nothing worse happened to the kids - as the article said, they could have fallen off the balcony. Or worse - been kidnapped.

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Jul Fri 24, 2009 9:34 pm

On our last trip, we saw a little girl sleeping in her stroller outside of ToT completely ALONE! There was no one anywhere near her! It looked like her parent's left her while they went on the ride?! We told a CM. I just couldn't believe it!

casrin

Post by casrin » Jul Sat 25, 2009 12:52 pm

Maybe its that whole perception of Disney being so safe that makes people check their brains at the door?
-[b]casrin[/b]
[url=http://ubanimator.com][img]http://www-personal.umd.umich.edu/~cparkins/images/userbar/userbar487580pb0.gif[/img][/url]

agingerbugg
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by agingerbugg » Jul Sat 25, 2009 4:43 pm

casrin wrote:Maybe its that whole perception of Disney being so safe that makes people check their brains at the door?
I don't know. I grew up going to Disney, we would go almost every weekend and it was never safe enough that my parents would trust us to be alone. We even had signals that my parents wanted us to use if we were abducted and the abductor changed our hair color and clothes (my mom was a little paranoid).
They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

-Benjamin Franklin

metsofny
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

Post by metsofny » Jul Sat 25, 2009 9:25 pm

I guess they should have put up the do not disturb sign. :wink: This is as bad as when I arrived at the pop century at 2:30am and a family was drunk surrounded by bud cans while there baby was sleeping in the 0 of one of the giant year number.

DisBeamer
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by DisBeamer » Jul Sat 25, 2009 10:01 pm

I find it especially sickening that these were foster parents (and that the woman was a school counselor, apparently).
agingerbugg wrote:I don't know. I grew up going to Disney, we would go almost every weekend and it was never safe enough that my parents would trust us to be alone. We even had signals that my parents wanted us to use if we were abducted and the abductor changed our hair color and clothes (my mom was a little paranoid).
I always thought my mom was the only one who did that. I can't remember how many times she told me about people cutting off and dying my hair. They must have had the same mom book. In any case, I remember being 13 or 14 before I managed to convince my parents that I could go anywhere alone at WDW, and even that was a hard fought battle.
metsofny wrote:This is as bad as when I arrived at the pop century at 2:30am and a family was drunk surrounded by bud cans while there baby was sleeping in the 0 of one of the giant year number.
Huh. I always heard All Stars where the "ghetto" resorts. ;)
~ Caroline

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v480/atoning_unifex/Caroline%20Gaia/tta.gif[/img]

casrin

Post by casrin » Jul Sun 26, 2009 12:09 pm

Huh. I always heard All Stars where the "ghetto" resorts. Wink
Not to mention occassionally cheerleader infested (that was a crazy story). :roll:
-[b]casrin[/b]

Clusty
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by Clusty » Jul Sun 26, 2009 12:36 pm

casrin wrote:
Huh. I always heard All Stars where the "ghetto" resorts. Wink
Not to mention occassionally cheerleader infested (that was a crazy story). :roll:
Ugh. I went last year during the cheerleader week or whatever and they were everywhere at the parks. Luckily they didn't stay at the hotel I was at(AKL).

cousininmiami
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide

Post by cousininmiami » Jul Sun 26, 2009 9:08 pm

Things come in 3's, maybe this is it for a while for bad Disney news.
°o° "...it's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of every day" °o°

timekeeper
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Post by timekeeper » Jul Mon 27, 2009 7:10 am

NOT surprising! People either are that stupid or think Disny is so safe!

Dh and DD were swimming at POP, DD was talking to this girl who was maybe 3 or 4 (Dd was 7) and the Dad said to Dh that he was running up to the room a min could he keep an eye on the girl quick? Dh didnt really want to but he figured it would be quick and the girls were playing on the steps of the hippy pool. The guy was gone for almost 45 min. I came down to the pool to see what was taking Dh so long, they were going to be back at a set time.

The dude showed up like he had been gone 3 min. We didnt know what to do so we stupidly waited, I guess in hindsight we should have handed her off to a life guard or something....

Clusty
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by Clusty » Jul Mon 27, 2009 10:34 am

timekeeper wrote:NOT surprising! People either are that stupid or think Disny is so safe!

Dh and DD were swimming at POP, DD was talking to this girl who was maybe 3 or 4 (Dd was 7) and the Dad said to Dh that he was running up to the room a min could he keep an eye on the girl quick? Dh didnt really want to but he figured it would be quick and the girls were playing on the steps of the hippy pool. The guy was gone for almost 45 min. I came down to the pool to see what was taking Dh so long, they were going to be back at a set time.

The dude showed up like he had been gone 3 min. We didnt know what to do so we stupidly waited, I guess in hindsight we should have handed her off to a life guard or something....
Wow, that would make me really angry. After about 15 minutes I would have handed her off to a cast member and left.