rdeacon
Santa Fe & Disneyland Railroad Engineer

Space Mountain Refurb

Post by rdeacon » Apr Thu 30, 2009 8:51 am

This is a list of rumored changes to space mountain:
  • - New lift mechanism installation
    - Audio track being added to the ride experience
    - Additional sound effect speakers being installed, along with upgraded audio quality
    - Light levels are being adjusted to provide a darker experience as the ride was originally intended to have
    - Banked hairpin turns installed
    - Sloped quick-drops installed
    - Significant track and structure upgrades
    - Queue line is being modified for a more efficient queue
    - Queue audio is receiving a significant upgrade
    - Queue effects are receiving a significant upgrade
    - Queue entry room rethemed
    - New safety spiel videos added
    - New (and expensive) star field projector added
    - Upgraded and new projection effects
    - Upgraded E-Brake system
    - On-ride Special Effects overhaul (lighting and audio), including possibility of new CO2 effect
    - Mannequin and set refurbishment
    - Upgraded ride surveillance and control booth computer system installation (specifically reducing infrared-induced issues).
    - Recarpeting
    - Post-show refurbishment
    - Tomorrowland Arcade refurbishment (modified layout)
Sounds like some cool additions. Lets see how much of the rumored changes happen.

Rich
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible.."
Walt Disney

[img]http://www.rdeacon.com/img/banners/bar/SR_admin_adv.jpg[/img]
[img]http://rdeacon.com/img/banners/bar/SR_monkey_adv.jpg[/img]

packwingfn
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Re: Space Mountain Refurb

Post by packwingfn » Apr Thu 30, 2009 8:56 am

I'm most concerned with the Queue Line audio but it looks like it won't be changed, just improved audio. I would be very upset if they got rid of the opening theme, and the star tunnel music...as I'm sure most of you will be too. I wonder what the new entry room will look like. I also wonder if the ride will be any smoother, and the look of the ride will feel more modern instead of a ride from a 70s.

Let's hope for a good refurb like Haunted Mansion!
Last edited by packwingfn on Apr Thu 30, 2009 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
I know this is probably your first flight...and it's mine too...ha, ha

Rain upon that planet Earth. And they rain ... and rain ... and rain. The deluge.

MW1218
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by MW1218 » Apr Thu 30, 2009 8:56 am

Thanks for this. Where did you happen to hear about it? I just hope they don't update the queue audio to omit Star Tunnel! That would be a tragedy! Something about hearing that calming music and feeling the cool tunnel on a hot day....

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by theBIGyowski » Apr Thu 30, 2009 9:10 am

Yeah I'm sure audio upgrade means new speakers. Those upgrades all sound amazing. If there is anything that will make me hurry back to the World it will be this. I was glad to have been there just after the SSE and HM refurbs so I could see them for myself before getting too many other opinions. This is definitely something that as been long overdue and I can't wait to hear how much of this actually gets done. Thanks! :D

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Apr Thu 30, 2009 9:33 am

I was disappointed to see that SM and TTA will be closed during our upcoming visit. This are two of my most favorite attractions!

I agree with all the posts so far, I really hope they don't change too much. An upgrade like they did for HM would be welcomed, but if they're going to change just about everything with SM, I will be very sad. Especially the queue! That needs to be left alone.

packwingfn
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by packwingfn » Apr Thu 30, 2009 11:04 am

boilerbabe wrote:I was disappointed to see that SM and TTA will be closed during our upcoming visit. This are two of my most favorite attractions!

I agree with all the posts so far, I really hope they don't change too much. An upgrade like they did for HM would be welcomed, but if they're going to change just about everything with SM, I will be very sad. Especially the queue! That needs to be left alone.
Queue line is being modified for a more efficient queue

I wonder how it will be now. Will it mainly a straight line? Will they put fast pass in a seperate entrance instead of just having a bar in between the 2 lines?

Rain upon that planet Earth. And they rain ... and rain ... and rain. The deluge.

theBIGyowski

Post by theBIGyowski » Apr Thu 30, 2009 11:21 am

packwingfn wrote:Queue line is being modified for a more efficient queue

I wonder how it will be now. Will it mainly a straight line? Will they put fast pass in a seperate entrance instead of just having a bar in between the 2 lines?
I haven't thought of that...but it seems like that could be a good idea. Also...maybe adding a single rider entrance? I just know that this refurb will increase the number of riders and possibly number of times people ride it...and they will need to take this into account.

MadEye
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler

Post by MadEye » Apr Thu 30, 2009 11:50 am

packwingfn wrote:Will they put fast pass in a seperate entrance instead of just having a bar in between the 2 lines?
Doubt it. Seeing as how the queue has to go under or over the rails of the Magic Kingdom Railroad, I don't see them constructing anything new for the queue line.

However, I do see them widening the queue to accommodate wheelchairs in both lines. We'll just have to wait and see.
We are all a little weird
And life's a little weird,
And when we find someone whose
Weirdness is compatible with ours,
We join up with them and fall in
Mutual weirdness and call it Love.”
― Dr. Seuss

Eames: Listen, if you're gonna perform INCEPTION, you need IMAGINATION.

packwingfn
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by packwingfn » Apr Thu 30, 2009 3:08 pm

MadEye wrote:
packwingfn wrote:Will they put fast pass in a seperate entrance instead of just having a bar in between the 2 lines?
Doubt it. Seeing as how the queue has to go under or over the rails of the Magic Kingdom Railroad, I don't see them constructing anything new for the queue line.

However, I do see them widening the queue to accommodate wheelchairs in both lines. We'll just have to wait and see.
I didn't even think about how small the queue line is in consideration for wheelchairs. I can defnitely see them widen it for sure.

rdeacon

Post by rdeacon » Apr Thu 30, 2009 4:11 pm

MW1218 wrote:Thanks for this. Where did you happen to hear about it? I just hope they don't update the queue audio to omit Star Tunnel! That would be a tragedy! Something about hearing that calming music and feeling the cool tunnel on a hot day....
I read it on another forum. Seems like its from someone that claims to work at Disney and knows the work order. Guess time will tell if its true.

Rich
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible.."
Walt Disney

[img]http://www.rdeacon.com/img/banners/bar/SR_admin_adv.jpg[/img]
[img]http://rdeacon.com/img/banners/bar/SR_monkey_adv.jpg[/img]

DisBeamer
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by DisBeamer » Apr Thu 30, 2009 7:25 pm

Hmm. Well, taking this as true for the moment (as I know it's 'rumored' status still):
rdeacon wrote:- New lift mechanism installation
- Audio track being added to the ride experience
- Additional sound effect speakers being installed, along with upgraded audio quality
- Light levels are being adjusted to provide a darker experience as the ride was originally intended to have
- Significant track and structure upgrades
- New safety spiel videos added
- Upgraded E-Brake system
- On-ride Special Effects overhaul (lighting and audio), including possibility of new CO2 effect
- Upgraded ride surveillance and control booth computer system installation (specifically reducing infrared-induced issues).
- Recarpeting
This all sounds good to me.
- Banked hairpin turns installed
- Sloped quick-drops installed
Boo. I know I'm in the minority, but I rather like being jerked around.
- Queue line is being modified for a more efficient queue
- Queue audio is receiving a significant upgrade
- Queue effects are receiving a significant upgrade
- Queue entry room rethemed
Well ... we'll see what happens. I'm most concerned about this, as the SM queue has always been one of my favorites. I suspect those cool 'swirl' effects will have been deemed 'outdated'. Hmpf.
- New (and expensive) star field projector added
- Upgraded and new projection effects
Okay, I don't really oppose this, but no more flying chocolate chip cookies?? SACRILEGE!
- Mannequin and set refurbishment
Deeeefinitely time for this. Those poor guys were so dusty last I saw them.
- Post-show refurbishment
I realize it's about time, but I still miss the the funky FedEx thing.
~ Caroline

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v480/atoning_unifex/Caroline%20Gaia/tta.gif[/img]

MadEye
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler

Post by MadEye » Apr Thu 30, 2009 7:57 pm

DisBeamer wrote:Well ... we'll see what happens. I'm most concerned about this, as the SM queue has always been one of my favorites. I suspect those cool 'swirl' effects will have been deemed 'outdated'. Hmpf.
As long as the music stays the same (upgraded or not is fine by me) I'll be happy. They can do whatever they want to with the rest of it, but keep one of my favorite tracks intact!!!
We are all a little weird
And life's a little weird,
And when we find someone whose
Weirdness is compatible with ours,
We join up with them and fall in
Mutual weirdness and call it Love.”
― Dr. Seuss

Eames: Listen, if you're gonna perform INCEPTION, you need IMAGINATION.

elizabethswann
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by elizabethswann » Apr Thu 30, 2009 9:54 pm

This sounds like a great list of refurb items but I would be upset if Star Tunnel was taken out. I want to see that when I go to visit.

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Apr Thu 30, 2009 11:57 pm

sounds interesting. I just hope that it runs on schedule and the changes aren't too bad. Any news on TTA? Are they going to refurb it while it is down for the SM refurb?
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

DisBeamer
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by DisBeamer » May Fri 01, 2009 2:46 am

Len90 wrote:sounds interesting. I just hope that it runs on schedule and the changes aren't too bad. Any news on TTA? Are they going to refurb it while it is down for the SM refurb?
I heard - though I don't remember where so I can't link a source at the moment - that a new audio track for it was being recorded. Which I suppose makes sense since there are new attractions to mention and such. The old one still has hunks out of it where they pulled out the FedEx blurb and the Timekeeper blurb.
~ Caroline

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v480/atoning_unifex/Caroline%20Gaia/tta.gif[/img]