Worst WDW Companion(s) Group Trip

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

napastoy
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer

Worst WDW Companion(s) Group Trip

Post by napastoy » Apr Tue 21, 2009 3:29 pm

Okay, we've probably all experienced one of these events. You find yourself at the Happiest Place on Earth with a person or people you would like to drop kick into the next state.

Mine was a "Girls Weekend." Sounded great...leave the significant others and have a quick three day trip to WDW.

There were seven of us and three of us were Disney old timers. We knew the pitfalls to avoid and the situations to take advantage of. The others didn't have a clue and or didn't care and acted like it from the moment we got there to the moment we left.

"The Others"

One missed her original flight and we should have know that was a sign of what was to come.

We had to stop for two smokers about every 40 minutes.

We had to bypass most of Epcot because one found it "really boring."

We had two who had their cell phones glued to their ears...talking to the significant others we were suppose to be escaping from.

Another one stopped to fix her make up six times in two hours. I finally asked her who she was trying to pick up; Peter Pan? Winnie The Pooh? Prince Ali?

One wanted to shop for her kids the entire time and another one was on a diet...never wanted to eat anywhere the rest of us did.

My favorite was the one who we had to literally pull out of bed each morning. It was an hour before she was human and would even speak to anyone.

The clincher? Ever seen seven women dine on one check and then the most anal one of the group insists on starting "the check breakdown from hell?"

I made it back home, told my husband women were evil, drank my self to sleep and said never again.
:cry:
"“Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas."

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by theBIGyowski » Apr Tue 21, 2009 3:36 pm

Went with a group of friends...2 girls...3 guys (me included). One of the girls was controlling while the other was a pushover. The two guys with us were instigators and loved pushing people's buttons. So...you have natural tension there to begin with. Then the controlling girl's body decided it was that "time of the month" and you can just guess how it went. Oh...this was at New Years as well.

I am not a sexist person at all...but I feel that an all-guys trip would be much more peaceful and less dramatic. You could probably say that with a lot of situations. 8-)

I had a blast...but the trip definitely had its moments.

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Apr Tue 21, 2009 6:37 pm

When I was about 16, I was that person. Sorry to say it, but I think my sisters where trying to find a way to get rid off me. I mean like "sorry mom he fell off of the sky buckets and we didn't see where he landed!"

SORRY GIRLS!!!

I should E-mail this to them. What a brat!!
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

js3901
Matterhorn Bobsleds Climber
Matterhorn Bobsleds Climber

Post by js3901 » Apr Tue 21, 2009 9:49 pm

Dr. Ravenscroft and I went down in December 2006 (you hear me talking about it all the time, it was a great trip). we had no real problems, and the 2 of us shared a tent in Ft. Wilderness for a week. Of course, it was just the 2 of us, and if we had more, I'm sure the mood would've changed.

every other trip before that one has been with family, so of course you want to dream up unnatural punishments for them when they get on your nerves...
"And please do not sit on the floor. My studies show you can't experience time travel on the floor. and it's not a pretty picture in those shorts" - The Timekeeper

Site Admin, WDW Freak

wdwannabe
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Post by wdwannabe » Apr Wed 22, 2009 8:59 am

Let me tell you I know girls and would never go with a group of them any place! All the little pet peeves, gosh.....and well just too many things to fight over. Now, one or two may be ok, but not any more.
First Family Visit
POP Century - September 2006

Second Family Visit
2013 Fall/Winter-Christmas

timekeeper
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Post by timekeeper » Apr Wed 22, 2009 10:02 am

Mine was a fun trip for Christmas with my inlaws. 2 rooms at AKL, 1 week, should be wonderful! I realized once this started I havent spent alot of time with my father in law, now I know why.

Each day was the same.... wanted to be at the bus by 10am to go to park. Made it at 11 or if lucky 10:30 b/c he had to have breakfast. He had been up since 5 and hadnt managed to be fed yet.

Once in the park, where is the bathroom? Wait 10 min.... Where can I get a beer..... When do we eat..... Sure am hungry as he stops for a snack at a cart and we have done 1 ride! Then hes thirsty, then he has to go to the bathroom... then he is thirsty and hungry again! It was hell... you couldnt do anything but wait by the bathroom... wait as he ate by the food cart.... wait while he finished his drink so we could go on a ride...

We had given him and Dh the Bass fishing trip for Fathers Day. Dh paid the $10 cab fare to get there. I didnt get a thanks or we had fun.... Oh no! It was such an early fishing trip he didnt get to have breakfast and that made him starving all day!

He ate and drank so much we had to lend him money! I had to dig together cash with Dh to get the car out of the airport parking for them!

emnbensdad
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by emnbensdad » Apr Wed 22, 2009 10:29 am

I'll have to admit that I wasn't looking forward to our trip earlier this month due to the fact we were meeting a family (from our church mind you) and we really didn't want to spend time with them because of their bratty 13 year old son. We were surprised that it turned out as well as it did. We had a blast.

Now, we are going in July and one of our neighbors is also going with her two kids and a niece. Usually, there is a lot of button pushing when our kids and her kids get together so the potential is there for a disaster. I'm preparing for the worst and hoping for the best. The good thing is we will be in different rooms even though we will be at the same resort (Contemporary).

ckc0915

Post by ckc0915 » Apr Wed 22, 2009 10:53 am

now i love disney souveniers as much as the next guy, but the last trip i went on consisted of entirely too much shopping. i went with my fiancees family and some of her friends from where we live. it was in january, and we are both seasonal CMs so we got 50% off of park merchandise for the holidays. this is a great benefit, but you would have thought that her friends had died and gone to heaven! we spent WAY too much time buying new sweaters and t shirts instead of enjoying the parks. that said, they did get lots of cool stuff and saved 100s of dollars with the discount!
[img]http://www.mickeypath.com/id/1277622036.jpg[/img]

yodiwan1
Storybookland Canal Boats Mate
Storybookland Canal Boats Mate

Post by yodiwan1 » Apr Wed 22, 2009 5:24 pm

we are both seasonal CMs so we got 50% off of park merchandise for the holidays. this is a great benefit, but you would have thought that her friends had died and gone to heaven! we spent WAY too much time buying new sweaters and t shirts instead of enjoying the parks. that said, they did get lots of cool stuff and saved 100s of dollars with the discount!
I miss my discount so much!! Once I left I had some friends for a while there and i ended up acting like your fiance's family. I bought more than I could imaggine and still have most of it. I jsut wish i could get back to property control!
"hold on to them hats and glasses, cause this here's the wildest ride in the wilderness!!"

DisBeamer
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by DisBeamer » Apr Wed 22, 2009 8:39 pm

My worst group trip actually wasn't that bad, but I should have seen the problems coming before we ever got there. It was with some friends of ours (a couple) and then added on another mutual friend and a friend of his.

Now, our friends 'the couple' - the guy was kind of in to WDW and the girl I think had been there once in her teens but not since then. They're great friends and we really did have a lot of fun with them. She, in particular, was interested in all my weird Disney Parks trivial knowledge, so I was explaining things like the end of Space Mountain and having a great ol' time.

The mutual friend and his friend showed up a few days into the trip. Both of them were former cast members. And ... well ... we still had fun but the fact that I 'knew WDW' meant that, over the course of that weekend, somehow I turned into Tour Guide Barbie. Like, no one would say where they wanted to go, what they wanted to do ... anything, and they all started walking 6 feet behind me because I was de facto leader and "you're the only one who knows where we're going". So rather than having a great time in a group, I got to hear them having a great time in a group behind me while I had to try to accommodate everyone's likes and dislikes and plan the day. And when I'd slow down to try to walk with them, they'd slow down again because they 'needed to follow me because they didn't know where they were going'. :roll:

Of course, me being me, I eventually just started going wherever I wanted to without asking for input, even places I knew they wouldn't be interested in just 'cause I wanted to see them. I'm pretty sure I could have walked into Seven Seas Lagoon and they would have followed without question. :lol:

By the end of the weekend, my husband and I ended up leaving them because the instruction "Wait here for us - we'll be right back" for some reason didn't process. We had all split up around the UK/Canada to get different drinks, with everyone agreeing 'Everyone will meet outside this building (the rose and crown) in ten minutes'. We got back and, lo and behold, none of them were there. After waiting 15 minutes for the rest of 'em, we finally left. Got a text message when we were half way across Future World, asking where we were, and the response to 'why didn't you wait for us?' was 'we didn't know where you were'. Well YEAH, that's why everyone was supposed to wait in one place... Grr. I just texted back 'we'll meet you at dinner' and that was it for group touring.

Anyway, the moral of the story for me was I don't want to be anyone's itinerary planner if I'm supposed to be along and enjoying the trip, too.
~ Caroline

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v480/atoning_unifex/Caroline%20Gaia/tta.gif[/img]

rmorton50

Post by rmorton50 » Apr Wed 22, 2009 8:56 pm

This thread makes me soooo thankful that my two daughters and sons-in-law and granddaugthers get along so well at WDW! I don't think I would try it with any other group of people. WDW and DL are just too complex of an experience to get a very large group to want to do any particular thing at the same time. Even our family group splits off into segments from time to time. My wife and I will have been married 39 years this Friday and part of the reason we have been so happy is that we like the same things at Disney!

ckc0915

Post by ckc0915 » Apr Wed 22, 2009 9:20 pm

yodiwan1 wrote:
we are both seasonal CMs so we got 50% off of park merchandise for the holidays. this is a great benefit, but you would have thought that her friends had died and gone to heaven! we spent WAY too much time buying new sweaters and t shirts instead of enjoying the parks. that said, they did get lots of cool stuff and saved 100s of dollars with the discount!
I miss my discount so much!! Once I left I had some friends for a while there and i ended up acting like your fiance's family. I bought more than I could imaggine and still have most of it. I jsut wish i could get back to property control!
i loved property control!! i always bought something everytime i went in there, just because it was cheap!

and disbeamer i know how you feel about planning other ppls days. my immediate family (who has been to disney several times) now rely on me to get them around, since i "know everything good to do because i was a CM and lived there..." sometimes i dont mind though, cuz i usually just end up doing whatever i want to do anyway :D

spodie
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner

Post by spodie » Apr Thu 23, 2009 8:31 am

I'm glad that I've never had a bad experience with my trip-mates at Disney! Of course, when I go with my sister, we will occasionally have arguments over what to do after we've spent a few days together, but since I can get by living in my own little world for awhile, it's never really bothered me.
~Ashleigh :minnie:

[img]http://www.mickeypath.com/id/1260514670.jpg[/img]

HauntedMansion74
Alice in Wonderland Wonderer
Alice in Wonderland Wonderer

Post by HauntedMansion74 » Apr Mon 27, 2009 11:47 am

I had a horrible trip when I went with some friends and my inlaws! We all ended up with brauncitis and were all sick at least two days and went to doctors! Very bad! once we got better unfortunately towards the end it was nice!
Who is the fairest in the land! Snow White is the fairest in the land!! We all have something great to add to the world which makes us all the fairest in the land!!!

cinderella75
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by cinderella75 » May Mon 11, 2009 4:09 pm

My worst companion was with my mother inlaw :( all she did was complain complain complain the whole 6 nights 7 days :( never again :( leave them home if you want a great vacation :wave:
When you BELIEVE and have FAITH, WISHES and DREAMS do come TRUE :-)