What's the first thing you EVER did at WDW?

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

horizons1
Site Admin
Site Admin

What's the first thing you EVER did at WDW?

Post by horizons1 » Mar Tue 17, 2009 5:52 pm

I was reading the posts under a separate thread (the 1st thing you do when you get to WDW) and it made me think of this question:

What is the first thing you ever did on your first visit to WDW?

For me, my first trip was in 1989 and I went by myself. My first stop was to buy park tickets at the Epcot ticket window. It was late in the evening and the park was closing but I remember staring up in awe at Spaceship Earth all lit up and magnificent. I could not wait until the next morning and could've slept on a bench all night if they'd let me!
No one's gloomy or complaining while the flatware's entertaining.

purple figment
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by purple figment » Mar Tue 17, 2009 6:18 pm

It is so hard to remember. It was a REALLY REALLY long time ago--before Epcot opened. I DO remember that wwe stayed at the Polynesian and it has a beautiful, new hotel smell. I think I remember going on the railroad first.
I also remember from that trip that you could board either monorail from the hotels (go up the back staircase at the Poly) and they travelled in different directions. I remember needing to ride all the different colors and trying to decide which side of the monorail station we would have to go to next to ride a new color.

DisBeamer
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by DisBeamer » Mar Tue 17, 2009 6:33 pm

I'm going to guess it was 'be put in a stroller'. :lol:

The first thing I remember doing on a (much later) trip was trying to get a glimpse of the castle while riding the tram in from the parking lot, and debating whether we were going to go on the monorail or the ferry.
~ Caroline

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v480/atoning_unifex/Caroline%20Gaia/tta.gif[/img]

spodie
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner

Post by spodie » Mar Tue 17, 2009 7:15 pm

This was back in 1992 and I was only 5, but I do vividly remember entering MGM (of course, that was what it was called at the time) and getting my first autograph book at Crossroads of the World and then walking down Hollywood Boulevard and seeing the Chinese Theater in the distance. Other than that, I remember bits and pieces of the rest of that trip (including a cruise on The Big Red Boat), but that memory stands out the most to me.
~Ashleigh :minnie:

[img]http://www.mickeypath.com/id/1260514670.jpg[/img]

secondstar
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Post by secondstar » Mar Tue 17, 2009 7:15 pm

On our first trip, my wife and I stayed off site. On our first morning, I remember being SO EXCITED just driving up World Drive and seeing all the billboards. (Bear in mind, I was 39 at the time so I was no kid and I was still that excited.) Since I had no idea of the layout, when we parked at the Ticket & Transportation Center (Pluto 16 -- Yes, I still remember), I thought we were at the park. And I couldn't find it anywhere. Then I spotted the castle across Seven Seas Lagoon. I was amazed that someone could design an entrance so elaborate that they wanted to make sure your breath was taken away even before you arrived. I equated it to playing Rollercoaster Tycoon in the sandbox mode. "Let's make this entrance as wonderful as possible. "We took the Richard F. Irvine across the lagoon and went in. Both were awe struck.

Our first ride was Swiss Family Treehouse, then the Tiki Rooms, then Pirates of the Caribbean. What a Magical First Day!
[i]"Herbie, I just want it to look like nothing else in the world. And it should be surrounded by a train"[/i]

-- Walt Disney

kcarts
Flight to the Moon Flight Director
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Post by kcarts » Mar Tue 17, 2009 7:20 pm

My first trip was back in October of 1982. We stayed off property and had a rental car and drove over to Disney. We parked in the MK parking lot. I remember seeing the monorail pass by the Polynesian. I remember getting off the tram and we saw the ferryboat at the dock so we decided to take that over. Mine and my sister's excitement grew like the castle getting bigger and bigger as we crossed the lake. It was all we could do to not jump off the boat and swim across. We both thought the ferry was moving way too slow. So long story short, I'd have to say riding the ferry from the parking lot to the Magic Kingdom.

Peerless83

Post by Peerless83 » Mar Wed 18, 2009 6:48 am

Im not really sure what the first thing was because I was so young when I went on my first trip...but Im am going to guess...pay for parking!

Nicc513
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Post by Nicc513 » Mar Wed 18, 2009 7:56 am

Ride in my Mommy's belly.

My first trip was in utero. :mrgreen:

99Soulz
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by 99Soulz » Mar Wed 18, 2009 11:30 am

My first trip was when I was about 6 or 7 years old around 1980. I'm not exactly sure the first thing or ride I did but I know the first one I remember was the Indy Speedway. I thought I was in heaven and I could have stayed in that car ALL DAY. I think I thought I was Mario Andretti or something.

We also stayed at the Poly which will always be my favorite. Remember getting one of those Goofy baseball caps that had the nose and ears hanging off it.

snugglyevil
Motor Boat Cruise Skipper
Motor Boat Cruise Skipper

First thing I remember doing at Disney..

Post by snugglyevil » Mar Wed 18, 2009 11:49 am

I went in February of 74. I still remember the plane ride. Transfering in Atlanta. Getting off the plane in Orlando...walking down the steps...across the tarmac...into this crazy packed terminal. Drive down I-4 was LOOOOONG. Nothing to see except groves. Mom rolling down the window and the car being filled with the scent of orange blossoms. I was 5yrs old.

I remember stopping in front of the Contemporary and getting out to run around the topiaries. It was either let my sisters and I run around to let steam off or deal with the explosion of 3 excited girls in the back seat continue. heeehee IN the Magic Kingdom....first thing I remember is walking in and NO ONE there. Breakfast at the Crystal Palace. Still; to this day, a fav of mine.

emnbensdad

Post by emnbensdad » Mar Wed 18, 2009 1:07 pm

I remember getting a lecture on not getting seperated from my parents. And it was hot. But, it was July . . . . Florida . . . = HOT!

Cazza and Livvie's Mum
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by Cazza and Livvie's Mum » Mar Sun 22, 2009 10:11 am

The first thing I did when I got to WDW for the first time (after a very long trip to get there), was to wake my kids up as we entered Disney property and say 'Kids! Look we're here!' Then the happy tears welled up in my eyes and the smile on face widened.

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Mar Mon 23, 2009 7:12 am

My first trip was in 1975, I was 15 and I was excited as a 5 year old. We got our ticket books (remember those?) and walked in the entrance to Main Street. It was like being transported to the Wonderful World of Disney. I think I actually looked for Tinker Bell to wave her wand. It's one of those memories I'll have for the rest of my life.

My first ride....Space Mountain!
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

indysoarin19
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Post by indysoarin19 » Mar Tue 24, 2009 2:25 pm

First trip was in June of '98. Our family arrived at the Boardwalk Resort at 2 am thanks to a host of flight delays. And even at 2 am, the Boardwalk was still lit up and oozed Disney magic.
Fixing cars as an Autopian mechanic!

FlyingMouse
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by FlyingMouse » Mar Tue 24, 2009 3:05 pm

We arrived on a Sunday, got checked into the Hilton near Downtown Disney. We spent several hours at DTD. On Monday, I spent the day at Disney Quest while my wife was in a conference. On Tuesday, well, Tuesday was Sept. 11, 2001.

Didn't do much that day. :(

We did hit Epcot and the Magic Kingdom that Thursday and Friday. With the air traffic system shut down for most of the week and a passing tropical depression, the parks were quite empty. In fact, we did just about the whole Magic Kingdom before 1pm.

On the lighter side (and don't laugh), I didn't realize until we were at the Magic Kingdom (bus drop off) that there was no Matterhorn.