The Great Movie Ride

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

Should Disney update 'The Great Movie Ride'?

Update to include more recent films
52%
Leave as is
22%
Update existing content
26%

Total votes: 54

MadEye
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler

Post by MadEye » Feb Sat 07, 2009 2:46 pm

agingerbugg wrote:Of course, I have heard stories of some of the things that go on behind scenes and my little escapades pale in comparison. :wink:
Ah, yes. Most things happened between College Programmers than regular CMs... Kinda why I loved being a Gangster or Bandit more than Tour Guide, your own little space away from all the drama... and Phase 10... 8-)
We are all a little weird
And life's a little weird,
And when we find someone whose
Weirdness is compatible with ours,
We join up with them and fall in
Mutual weirdness and call it Love.”
― Dr. Seuss

Eames: Listen, if you're gonna perform INCEPTION, you need IMAGINATION.

BirdandRobot
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Post by BirdandRobot » Feb Sat 07, 2009 5:31 pm

agingerbugg wrote:I am totally in favor of them updating this ride. I mean is there anyone still alive who remembers Busby Berkeley movies? Gene Kelley is dead and there are a whole slew of new musicals to choose from. I say take out the outdated Footlight Parade and Singing in the Rain, put in the greatest modern musical EVER...High School Muscial; leave Mary Poppins. For gangster movies, keep as is, Disney studios (or its subsidiaries) have not done a gangster movie in awhile. Western, John Wayne is still the Duke. Alien really isn't a representation of horror sci-fi, so replace that with WALL-E (gotta make Lasseter happy). Replace Indy with National Treasure, it is a newer Disney movie than Indy (besides Lucas has too much in DHS now). For Horror, Miramax did do Hellraiser and Halloween movies, it works better than dead mummies. Keep Casablanca, it's a classic. Tarzan replace with George of the Jungle; Brendan Fraser is more believable than Johnny Weismueller anyways. As for the Wizard of Oz, I think Narnia is a much better choice. Keep the first little scene with Dorothy et al looking at the Emerald City, but get rid of the next scene. It never made sense to me why they moved backwards through that movie. Put in some Narnia scene with the White Witch terrorizing the Narnians and have the tour guide or Aslan or something, make it more modern.

It really is a shame how Disney keeps trying to push all these old out-dated movies on our children. I mean come on, there are so many new movies that are more marketable than Tarzan, Singing in the Rain or Alien. It is time to Plus this attraction.
For a second I thought I was in an INTERCOT forum. :wink:

Anyway, I think the ride could definitely use an update but I'm not too keen on them including more recent films. I say this because I can't think of one American/Hollywood feature made in the past twenty years that is "great" (and yes that includes LOTR, Forrest Gump, Titanic, Sixth Sense, Shawshank Redemption and every Spielberg movie made).

On second thought, some of the films already in the ride now aren't necessarily great either (notably Tarzan, the Ape Man). Perhaps the best thing to do would be to replace some of the films with alternatives from the same genre or era (i.e. The Adventures of Robin Hood instead of Tarzan, 2001: A Space Odyssey instead of Alien, The Roaring Twenties instead of The Public Enemy, Unforgiven instead the current Eastwood segment, 42nd Street instead of Footlight Parade, etc.)

Son of Dreamfinder
Swiss Family Treehouse Guide
Swiss Family Treehouse Guide

Post by Son of Dreamfinder » Feb Fri 13, 2009 11:05 am

They shouldnt put in new movies because knowing disney they will put in High School musical and ill never be able to ride it again. If they try to change it to be more disney like I would like to see it be more focused on the classic disney from swiss robinson to 20000 leagues under the sea. If they wanted to go to wonderful world of color they could have a section on the scarecrow of romney marsh which would be awesome.

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Feb Fri 13, 2009 11:55 am

Son of Dreamfinder wrote:They shouldnt put in new movies because knowing disney they will put in High School musical and ill never be able to ride it again. If they try to change it to be more disney like I would like to see it be more focused on the classic disney from swiss robinson to 20000 leagues under the sea. If they wanted to go to wonderful world of color they could have a section on the scarecrow of romney marsh which would be awesome.
This is what scares me. After seeing how Disney is just looking to market and brand stuff ala IASW DLR, I'm afraid that their idea of a classic movie will be what ever they feel the can sell the most plush toys with.
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

Croaker
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner

Post by Croaker » Feb Fri 13, 2009 1:23 pm

Why do i always think about church when discussions of change at Disney is mentioned? perhaps its the resistance, yet desire for. (We want the kids to come to church, yet we don't want electric guitars....We will allow electric guitars but we want more sermon and traditional hymns.) I voted improvements to the existing because honestly its getting harder and harder to find classics in this day and age. I think the ride description needs to be updated. "step into yesteryear, as you take a tour of the movies from inside the movie itself!" emphasis on classics. have a store at the exit that sells the dvd's, shirts, movie memorabilia etc. directors cones, etc.
[img]http://www.oleole.es/main/web/images/manchester-united_banner.jpg[/img]

Figment of Imagination
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Post by Figment of Imagination » Feb Fri 13, 2009 6:30 pm

Most of the ride is still great. I love most of the rooms. I do wish that they would take out a lot of the live action parts, they're not very interesting and it seem to slow down the ride.

jenjolt
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by jenjolt » Feb Sat 14, 2009 8:53 am

I wouldn't mind seeing what it has get some updates, but I'm not convinced it should be changed...that is another one of those rides I just love! I finally saw Casablanca for the first time and now when I go by that scene in the ride I know it will bring tears to my eyes!
[img]http://i392.photobucket.com/albums/pp4/jenjolt/haunted-mansion1.gif[/img]
[img]http://i392.photobucket.com/albums/pp4/jenjolt/great-movie-ride2.gif[/img]
[img]http://i392.photobucket.com/albums/pp4/jenjolt/epcot2.gif[/img]

MadEye
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler

Post by MadEye » Feb Sat 14, 2009 9:13 am

Figment of Imagination wrote:Most of the ride is still great. I love most of the rooms. I do wish that they would take out a lot of the live action parts, they're not very interesting and it seem to slow down the ride.
If they did that, then the vehicles would bump into each other every 5 minutes. They have the "slow" parts to let the vehicle ahead of you get a safe distance away. True they could time everything around a change (the vehicles are manual not automatic for those who did not know), but where is the fun in that?
We are all a little weird
And life's a little weird,
And when we find someone whose
Weirdness is compatible with ours,
We join up with them and fall in
Mutual weirdness and call it Love.”
― Dr. Seuss

Eames: Listen, if you're gonna perform INCEPTION, you need IMAGINATION.

LadyLallie
Sleeping Beauty Castle Guard

Post by LadyLallie » Feb Sat 14, 2009 10:09 am

Great Movie Ride is one of my all time favorite Disney movies. I do think that they could polish some of the existing scenes. I would hesitant to see them add in new scenes because I wouldn't want the ride "ruined." I love the classic movies but I think some "newish" classic movies could be added. I don't want to see High School Musical or anything like that.
[img]http://www.mickeypath.com/id/05-22-2009_Disney+In+May_0-255-127_0-0-0.png[/img]
[img]http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g305/lallie23/hm1.gif[/img]
[img]http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g305/lallie23/great-movie-ride2.gif[/img]
[img]http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g305/lallie23/belle2.gif[/img]

usetonamick
Omnibus Driver
Omnibus Driver

Post by usetonamick » Feb Sun 15, 2009 3:52 pm

This really needs to be updated - Except for OZ, my kids have no idea what other ones are -

Captain Schnemo
Columbia Sailing Ship Admiral
Columbia Sailing Ship Admiral

Post by Captain Schnemo » Feb Sun 15, 2009 11:45 pm

BirdandRobot wrote:I say this because I can't think of one American/Hollywood feature made in the past twenty years that is "great" (and yes that includes LOTR, Forrest Gump, Titanic, Sixth Sense, Shawshank Redemption and every Spielberg movie made).
I pretty much agree with this. There have been American movies that were great, but not Great American Movies. At least none that I can think of.

This is one attraction where "outdated" is good, given that it's supposed to be a largely historical look at classic cinema. Personally, I think Alien should make the cut, based on the film's quality and influence, but that did seem to be an overture to modernity at the time of the ride's creation, so if they replaced it with something more classic, I'd be OK with it. They could do the original Day the Earth Stood Still. Or 2001 or even Blade Runner if they wanted to be more modern. Relatively speaking.
On second thought, some of the films already in the ride now aren't necessarily great either (notably Tarzan, the Ape Man).
True, but I think it's less about the quality of individual films and more about their influence on cinema and pop culture.
...The Roaring Twenties instead of The Public Enemy...
I dunno, Public Enemy was historic for being shocking. And it's also really entertaining. Another suggestion would be the original Scarface.

I think the gangster genre needs to be represented since it, along with the Western, are the purest American genres.

I'd also like to see more film noir. Any excuse to add The Maltese Falcon, really.
...Unforgiven instead the current Eastwood segment...
Hmm. One could certainly make the argument that Unforgiven is a Great American Film.

Personally, I would ditch the tour guides. They're cool in some instances, but the bogus cowboy/gangster bits were embarassingly bad, and usually played with all the enthusiasm of a Land boat guide with a hangover.

That would give them the opportunity to add some zing on top of the existing effects. A new soundtrack, maybe get some film historians to write the script about the influence of certain films and then sugar coat it with a 3D film host or something. I wouldn't want anything modern-looking, but using modern tech to blend in with the classic styles could be cool.

You could then reformat the Western and gangster sections...I'd love to see Clint's spaghetti Westerns represented, although I suppose those aren't actually American movies...so, um, never mind.

Anyway, the point is, the attraction should show the public more than the movies they already know. If the ride gets one more person to watch Casablanca or become curious as to how we got here from there, it would be a success.

Everything doesn't have to be a tie-in to an existing property you already know everything about. There's room for a little painless education here and there.

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Feb Mon 16, 2009 1:15 am

Captain Schnemo wrote:
BirdandRobot wrote:I say this because I can't think of one American/Hollywood feature made in the past twenty years that is "great" (and yes that includes LOTR, Forrest Gump, Titanic, Sixth Sense, Shawshank Redemption and every Spielberg movie made).
I pretty much agree with this. There have been American movies that were great, but not Great American Movies. At least none that I can think of.

This is one attraction where "outdated" is good, given that it's supposed to be a largely historical look at classic cinema. Personally, I think Alien should make the cut, based on the film's quality and influence, but that did seem to be an overture to modernity at the time of the ride's creation, so if they replaced it with something more classic, I'd be OK with it. They could do the original Day the Earth Stood Still. Or 2001 or even Blade Runner if they wanted to be more modern. Relatively speaking.
On second thought, some of the films already in the ride now aren't necessarily great either (notably Tarzan, the Ape Man).
True, but I think it's less about the quality of individual films and more about their influence on cinema and pop culture.
...The Roaring Twenties instead of The Public Enemy...
I dunno, Public Enemy was historic for being shocking. And it's also really entertaining. Another suggestion would be the original Scarface.

I think the gangster genre needs to be represented since it, along with the Western, are the purest American genres.

I'd also like to see more film noir. Any excuse to add The Maltese Falcon, really.
...Unforgiven instead the current Eastwood segment...
Hmm. One could certainly make the argument that Unforgiven is a Great American Film.

Personally, I would ditch the tour guides. They're cool in some instances, but the bogus cowboy/gangster bits were embarassingly bad, and usually played with all the enthusiasm of a Land boat guide with a hangover.

That would give them the opportunity to add some zing on top of the existing effects. A new soundtrack, maybe get some film historians to write the script about the influence of certain films and then sugar coat it with a 3D film host or something. I wouldn't want anything modern-looking, but using modern tech to blend in with the classic styles could be cool.

You could then reformat the Western and gangster sections...I'd love to see Clint's spaghetti Westerns represented, although I suppose those aren't actually American movies...so, um, never mind.

Anyway, the point is, the attraction should show the public more than the movies they already know. If the ride gets one more person to watch Casablanca or become curious as to how we got here from there, it would be a success.

Everything doesn't have to be a tie-in to an existing property you already know everything about. There's room for a little painless education here and there.

I think you did hit the nail on the head. Your approach is the way I would go. It's just Disney management doesn't have a real go track record with this sort of thing. You have to remember most of them are MBA's in their mid 30's and I don't feel they would know what a classic is.

IMHO if your adding a film noir..The Big Sleep...Total classic! Any reason to see Lauren Bacall at that age is a good reason!
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

drinkupmehardy

Post by drinkupmehardy » Feb Wed 18, 2009 12:50 pm

I think some movies could be updated, not all. Some of the classics are good. I also think some of the dwarfs in the Oz could use some refurb, some have dry lips and are split.... I am not sure if the are dry rotted or just need some chap stick... HA HA!!!! Overall, it is a great attraction! Only feedback is the queue liine movie is a bit short.

MetalRage
Flight to the Moon Flight Director
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Post by MetalRage » Feb Wed 18, 2009 5:17 pm

I have never had the chance to go on the great movie ride! i wanna go on it but i never think about it when im there =(
"When you're curious, you find lots of interesting things to do. And one thing it takes to accomplish something is courage." - Walt Disney :mickey3:

[url=http://www.userbars.com][img]http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/9147/userbar721338ez4.gif[/img][/url]

"We wants the redhead!"

MouseMan
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by MouseMan » Feb Wed 18, 2009 5:28 pm

I voted to leave it as it is. At least for now. I think it does pretty well with giving the audience a tour of the classic movies and stars of the "golden age".