If you were Hooter in Captain EO...

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

casrin
Columbia Sailing Ship Admiral
Columbia Sailing Ship Admiral

If you were Hooter in Captain EO...

Post by casrin » Nov Wed 19, 2008 10:16 pm

...don't you think you'd request to be with a new crew in that 'save the galaxy' organization he's with? :lol:

I'd noticed this in the Captain EO story before, but it dawned on me to write about this tonight. Think about it: this organization that Captain EO and the gang are with have this purpose of bringing music, light and growth to these dank, dark and scary planets (with creepy wicked clawed queens!). They're out to "change the world" they say!

And yet, the whole crew, including Captain EO, are nothing but RUDE and mean to Hooter! Right from the get-go, they're yelling at him to push the red button that's installed way over his head and snout. LOL Why doesn't Fuzzball fly by and push the red button? :P For all the time he spends yelling at Hooter, why doesn't Captain EO run by and slap the red button himself?

And on and on the ill treatment of Hooter goes through the movie. He gets shouted at when the music breaks down, but does anyone in this peace-bringing, light and song brigade thank Hooter for getting the job done so they can save the day and make Anjelica Houston pretty? :P

Poor Hooter!
-[b]casrin[/b]
[url=http://ubanimator.com][img]http://www-personal.umd.umich.edu/~cparkins/images/userbar/userbar487580pb0.gif[/img][/url]

js3901
Matterhorn Bobsleds Climber
Matterhorn Bobsleds Climber

Post by js3901 » Nov Wed 19, 2008 10:41 pm

I was about 6 when we visited while Captain EO was playing, but we never went to Epcot. My father went there but us kiddies stayed with mom in MK.
"And please do not sit on the floor. My studies show you can't experience time travel on the floor. and it's not a pretty picture in those shorts" - The Timekeeper

Site Admin, WDW Freak

elizabethswann
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by elizabethswann » Nov Wed 19, 2008 10:45 pm

I'm kind of glad I wasn't old enough to see the Captain EO stuff. Just hearing the audio on here makes me cringe.

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Nov Wed 19, 2008 10:50 pm

I have to laugh casrin, I never really gave Captain EO that much thought. But now that you're refreshing my memory, they did give Hooter a hard time! LOL, poor guy! I don't miss that attraction though.

Donalds1Fan
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by Donalds1Fan » Nov Wed 19, 2008 10:59 pm

elizabethswann wrote:I'm kind of glad I wasn't old enough to see the Captain EO stuff. Just hearing the audio on here makes me cringe.
Indeed. Tonight was the first time I ever heard the audio, and it made me very glad I never saw the attraction. Where was this in Epcot, anyway? Was it where HISTA is now?

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Nov Wed 19, 2008 11:04 pm

Yes, they replaced Capt. EO with HISTA, which isn't much better, but better than Capt. EO.

I can't lie when I was little I thought CEO was cool, the whole 3D thing, but thinking back now, it was really lame!!!

elizabethswann

Post by elizabethswann » Nov Wed 19, 2008 11:05 pm

Donalds1Fan wrote:
elizabethswann wrote:I'm kind of glad I wasn't old enough to see the Captain EO stuff. Just hearing the audio on here makes me cringe.
Indeed. Tonight was the first time I ever heard the audio, and it made me very glad I never saw the attraction. Where was this in Epcot, anyway? Was it where HISTA is now?
They did the same with the one in Disneyland and to be honest, as much as I KIND of enjoy 80s Michael Jackson, I'd pick HISTA over this.

DisBeamer
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by DisBeamer » Nov Wed 19, 2008 11:52 pm

I didn't really remember seeing Captain EO before I heard the track on here, but I know I did at least once. I also never really thought about it, but Hooter did have kind of a raw deal there. Maybe the fact they couldn't get along without a scapegoat was part of the reason command seemed to be so angry with the ship. They didn't seem to be very good at their jobs. :lol:

I have to agree with the above posters though; don't miss that show at all. Don't really want to watch HISTA anymore, either, though. I just go up there for the jumping fountains. :D
~ Caroline

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v480/atoning_unifex/Caroline%20Gaia/tta.gif[/img]

yodiwan1
Storybookland Canal Boats Mate

Post by yodiwan1 » Nov Wed 19, 2008 11:56 pm

Wow, am I the only one here that likes captain eo? I even have it on dvd!. I actually love the soundtrack too!
"hold on to them hats and glasses, cause this here's the wildest ride in the wilderness!!"

cap396

Post by cap396 » Nov Thu 20, 2008 7:35 am

I think the rest of the crew had bad feelings toward Hooter because of all the clutzy things he did. He ate their map. He made too much noise when he was disguising himself in the junk yard which led them to getting captured. Then he slipped when he was running and knocked over the piano. If I were one of the crew members, I would have been frustrated with Hooter too. :D

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by theBIGyowski » Nov Thu 20, 2008 7:44 am

I too love Captain EO. It's one of the vivid memories I have from my first trip to WDW back when I was 4 years old. I remember reaching out to touch one of the meteors and it exploded. I nearly freaked out! Plus I was such a huge Michael Jackson fan back then it was about as good as it could get...seeing a movie in 3-D starring my favorite music artist while I am at WDW!

Part of me does feel sorry for Hooter but like cap396 said...he created a lot of problematic situations himself. They win in the end though...so it's all good. And yodiwan1...I recorded it on VHS when it came on either the Disney Channel or MTV a long time ago...so you aren't the only one who has it. :D

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

Future Guy
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

Post by Future Guy » Nov Thu 20, 2008 9:06 am

I never saw Captain EO; my parents wouldn't let me, they always though there was something fundamentally wrong with Michael Jackson. It sounds like this Hooter character (seriously, who picked that name? And what were the other choices, Knocker? Bazonga?) was like the forerunner of Jar-Jar Binks.

However, I figure if you can suspend your disbelief enough to accept that Michael Jackson can defeat the bad guys through the power of dance, then you'll have no problem swallowing whatever else goes on in that movie.

yodiwan1

Post by yodiwan1 » Nov Thu 20, 2008 10:09 am

future guy, he was named hooter due to his snot and the sounds he kinda made, check it out on youtube.
"hold on to them hats and glasses, cause this here's the wildest ride in the wilderness!!"

Future Guy

Post by Future Guy » Nov Thu 20, 2008 10:59 am

^ I'm sure there was a reason, I'm just saying it was rather a comical name.

subsonic
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by subsonic » Nov Thu 20, 2008 11:04 am

I dunno, I liked Captain EO. It was very unique and original.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AstW05bDiQU&fmt=18
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2Zt-57Cg0U&fmt=18

This is a great question casrin. If I was hooter I would have stayed just for Michael Jackson's smile at the end! :)
Join our chat in Discord: https://discord.gg/zw5by3z