Thoughts on the Coral Reef restaurant?

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

Future Guy
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

Thoughts on the Coral Reef restaurant?

Post by Future Guy » Nov Fri 14, 2008 4:56 pm

Ever since the Living Seas was EPCOT's new kid on the block, I've always wanted to eat at the Coral Reef. My wife isn't a seafood fan, however, and the last few times we were at EPCOT we've gone to the Garden Grill instead. We were going to do the Coral Reef last year, but a very bad review of the place on wdwinfo.com made me decide against it.

Has anyone here eaten at the Coral Reef, and if so, did you enjoy it? How was the food and the service?

ericpabear
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by ericpabear » Nov Fri 14, 2008 6:23 pm

We ate there once. (Never again) My wife and kids loved it. I didn't. I live in Louisiana and can get seafood anytime. The place smells like fish. Every time I took a bit of anything, it tasted like fish, (because of the smell). The food wasn't all that great anyway. But as I said, my wife and kids loved it. They realy liked watching the fish swim. I was unimpressed.

Donalds1Fan
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by Donalds1Fan » Nov Fri 14, 2008 8:30 pm

Are there any good meals there that do not involve seafood?

I'd love to eat there for the atmosphere, but I don't do seafood. Ever. Even though my dad comes from a family of fishermen, haha. :lol:

DisBeamer
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Re: Thoughts on the Coral Reef restaurant?

Post by DisBeamer » Nov Fri 14, 2008 8:41 pm

Future Guy wrote:We were going to do the Coral Reef last year, but a very bad review of the place on wdwinfo.com made me decide against it.

Has anyone here eaten at the Coral Reef, and if so, did you enjoy it? How was the food and the service?
Ha! The 'sad little crab cake'? ;)

I've never eaten there myself. I'm not a big seafood fan, and that seems to be the bulk of the menu (understandably, of course) according to allears. I'm always leery of ordering non-seafood things in a seafood restaurant. That plus the review, plus the cost, plus the fact I know there are much nicer places at Epcot I'd rather go means I'll continue giving this one a pass.

That, and I'm not sure I could eat fish with fish watching me. o_o
~ Caroline

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v480/atoning_unifex/Caroline%20Gaia/tta.gif[/img]

delray
Sleeping Beauty Castle Guard

Coral Reef Menu

Post by delray » Nov Fri 14, 2008 9:46 pm

Hello, Future Guy!
You're not the "Chef of the Future" , are you? We've eaten at the Coral Reef several times and we've always enjoyed our meals! The last time I ate there I had the New York strip steak and I almost plotzed it was so good! The menu is not exclusively seafood, on the current menu showing on "All Ears" half of the entrees listed are not seafood. Go to www.allears.net to check out all the DW menus. This website is great for that. Didn't get that "fishy" smell when I was there. You should love it.

Regards,
Delray

"Will you stop this foolishnes! Which foolishness would you like to see?"

Donalds1Fan

Post by Donalds1Fan » Nov Sat 15, 2008 2:42 am

Delray, the only steak I've ever had in WDW was the filet from Le Cellier. Can you compare the strip steak to that?

I'm not much of a meat person, either, but if it's good, I might have to try it. I loved the filet at LC.

JimB
Swiss Family Treehouse Guide

Post by JimB » Nov Sat 15, 2008 6:40 am

I fully agree with delray. They offer a pork chop and a chicken breast entree as well as the NY strip. As far as Donalds1Fan question filet mignon is a different cut of meat than the NY strip but the NY strip at the Coral Reef has been very good whenever we have ordered it. The last time we were there one of the diving experience participants proposed to his girlfriend while diving in the tank. She was sitting next to the glass and he held up a sign that read "Will you marry me?" The whole restaurant cheered and applauded and it really was a memorable experience. (She said yes by the way) Occasionally there is a Mickey Mouse scuba diver in the tank waving to the patrons.
At any rate just like at any other food service establishment you don't have to meekly accept poor service or a substandard meal. You don't need to get upset or angry, simply ask for a manager and work out an acceptable solution. With the volume of diners throughout WDW I'm sure that at times the staff or food becomes less than magical but that is not the norm at any of the on property food establishments. Try to get seating on the main floor for a good view of the tank. Enjoy....

AKLRULZ
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by AKLRULZ » Nov Sat 15, 2008 9:08 am

It's a big hit with our family - both those who love seafood and those who don't.
Steve Baker ~ Travel Consultant :mickey3:
Steve.Baker@themagicforless.com
Affiliated with The Magic for Less
www.themagicforless.com

[url=http://ubanimator.com][img]http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/4199/userbar517512ps8.gif[/img][/url]

CDAbleson
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by CDAbleson » Nov Sat 15, 2008 9:50 am

We ate there in August, and the menu seems to change quite frequently.....Go fr lunch, at an off time, so there are not so many small children running around, and you will enjoy it. Menu is 50/50 seafood to other

Future Guy

Re: Coral Reef Menu

Post by Future Guy » Nov Sat 15, 2008 8:24 pm

delray wrote:Hello, Future Guy! You're not the "Chef of the Future" , are you?
Only if the future includes steak and shrimp. :)

Thanks for the opinions, everyone; y'all are great! I just may give the Coral Reef a try when we're at EPCOT next year (if my wife can find anything she likes on the menu, that is).

Donalds1Fan

Post by Donalds1Fan » Nov Sat 15, 2008 8:53 pm

Thanks for the replies all. JimB, is the strip a tender cut of meat? I feel silly asking, but I just don't eat enough steak to know. I've had 2 steaks in the last 5 years or more, probably.

Great thread, Future Guy. It was very helpful to me as well. :D

JimB

Post by JimB » Nov Sun 16, 2008 1:56 am

Donalds1Fan wrote:Thanks for the replies all. JimB, is the strip a tender cut of meat? I feel silly asking, but I just don't eat enough steak to know. I've had 2 steaks in the last 5 years or more, probably. :D
Not to get over technical, but strip steak contains more muscle tissue than filet mignon so it's not as tender. Some aged cuts of filet mignon can actually be cut with a fork. Strip steak is a high quality steak, similar in texture to porterhouse or sirloin. NY strip is deboned (boneless) whereas Kansas City strip is served with a small piece of bone left in.

Donalds1Fan

Post by Donalds1Fan » Nov Sun 16, 2008 2:29 am

JimB wrote:
Donalds1Fan wrote:Thanks for the replies all. JimB, is the strip a tender cut of meat? I feel silly asking, but I just don't eat enough steak to know. I've had 2 steaks in the last 5 years or more, probably. :D
Not to get over technical, but strip steak contains more muscle tissue than filet mignon so it's not as tender. Some aged cuts of filet mignon can actually be cut with a fork. Strip steak is a high quality steak, similar in texture to porterhouse or sirloin. NY strip is deboned (boneless) whereas Kansas City strip is served with a small piece of bone left in.
Thanks, that information is very helpful. I'm a bit of a picky eater when it comes to meats, so I like having some idea of what whatever I'm about to eat will taste like before I dig in.

grumpyutboi

Post by grumpyutboi » Nov Sun 16, 2008 6:50 pm

How expensive is the restaurant?
Trying is an excuse to fail! Just go and do it!

slylandro
Casey Junior Circus Train Conductor
Casey Junior Circus Train Conductor

Post by slylandro » Nov Sun 16, 2008 8:43 pm

I really enjoy this restaurant...and YES there is steak and such things for those who do not like seafood or fish. However if you do not have a dinning plan...it is quite costly.

For me, it is a go!
'' It is kind of fun to do the impossible'' Walt Disney

'' He said that it all started by a mouse, I say it all started by a man and his dream'' Julie Andrew in One Man Dream