Some rumors...

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

spodie
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner

Some rumors...

Post by spodie » Sep Wed 24, 2008 8:48 am

You may have already heard these rumors, but I found this in a newsletter that I get and thought they were interesting. I know they are talking about rumors that are potentially 3 years away, but 2011 will be here before we know it! Some of these you may be pleased with :D :

"Anyway lets get back to thier 40th anniversary...there are some rumors swirling around the internet about what is going to happen. Here are some of the rumors below. Remember they are RUMORS nothing is confirmed by Disney...yet.

Regarding the Tomorrowland Speedway, "...the attraction will undergo a huge refurbishment to add electric cars and new scenery." To quote our source: 'The idea behind this refurbishment would be to make our speedway similar to the Autopia attraction at Hong Kong Disneyland, while also inclding scenery that tells the story of our Tomorrowland.' (ex. Stitch, Wall-E, Buzz Lightyear, and Monsters Inc. character and theming references).'

Regarding the Enchanted Tiki Room: Under New Management, "In short, the original Tropical Serenade show may retrun to the Magic Kingdom as part of a huge marketing campaign for the 40th anniversary of the Walt Disney World Resort in 2011."

Other rumors include returning Walt Disney's Carousel of Progress, The Country Bear Jamboree, The Hall of Presidents, and others back to their original glory and doing some major refurishments to these and other attractions. Also a new Soarin' film might debut within the next year or during the anniversary in Epcot and in Disney's California Adventure called Soarin' around the World. Also in Epcot: Illuminations: Reflections of Earth might havea new show in the future. Again it might happen soon or for the anniversary."

What do you guys think?
~Ashleigh :minnie:

[img]http://www.mickeypath.com/id/1260514670.jpg[/img]

agingerbugg
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by agingerbugg » Sep Wed 24, 2008 9:03 am

Leave the speedway as it is. Replace the cars with a more eco-friendly version, fine. But DO NOT add characters or a story, it doesn't need one and will only cheapen the experience. I would be overly joyed if Tropical Serenade returned. a new Soarin' movie has been rumored for a while with nothing resulting. As long as IllumiNations retains it grandeur that is okay too, but don't go changing it into some campy Wishes-like thing.
They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

-Benjamin Franklin

spodie

Post by spodie » Sep Wed 24, 2008 9:33 am

agingerbugg wrote: a new Soarin' movie has been rumored for a while with nothing resulting.
Maybe this is something they want to make special for the 40th Anniversary. And I'm also guessing filiming this new movie takes a lot of time. I heard about all the permits Disney had to get and hoops they had to jump through in order to get the shots they wanted, so it doesn't surprise me that this new version has been rumored for some time now.

SimonTemplar
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Post by SimonTemplar » Sep Wed 24, 2008 9:42 am

Realizing these are only rumors, I'll try not to get overly excited yet. However, I would definitely like to see the return of the original Tropical Serenade, as I hate the Enchanted Tiki Room: Under New Management. And I would always endorse a refurb of CoP so it could return better than ever. That will always be a favorite of mine.
"Here in Florida, we have something special we never enjoyed at Disneyland...the blessing of size. There's enough land here to hold all the ideas and plans we can possibly imagine." ~ Walt Disney

yodiwan1
Storybookland Canal Boats Mate
Storybookland Canal Boats Mate

Post by yodiwan1 » Sep Wed 24, 2008 9:58 am

Chnage it all except Illuminations, thats what I say...well, at least keep the music
"hold on to them hats and glasses, cause this here's the wildest ride in the wilderness!!"

Esmeralda
Flight to the Moon Flight Director
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Post by Esmeralda » Sep Wed 24, 2008 9:58 am

Ahh, rumors. I like what I'm hearing for the most part. Agreed that the speedway should be environmentally friendly, but no characters please.

It sure would be fun to see some of the rides returned to their original glory and I'm ready for a new Illuminations. Can't wait to hear the rumors as they progress!
Drop another coin in slot and I will tell you more.

jenhen27
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by jenhen27 » Sep Wed 24, 2008 10:49 am

See I think the Speedway needs something added. I just don't think it fits in with Tomorrowland or Disney at all. It's basically just a generic amusement park ride. They may as well have bumper cars or the wild mouse. Those are just as generic. I would love to see new cars and theming for the Speedway. And I would love love love for Tropical Serenade to return!

sherabby
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by sherabby » Sep Wed 24, 2008 11:35 am

I also enjoy the speedway like it is...someone mentioned once about making a Cars theme. That might go over well with the kids.
[img]http://www.mickeypath.com/id/1251097102.jpg[/img]

agingerbugg
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by agingerbugg » Sep Wed 24, 2008 12:33 pm

jenhen27 wrote:See I think the Speedway needs something added. I just don't think it fits in with Tomorrowland or Disney at all. It's basically just a generic amusement park ride. They may as well have bumper cars or the wild mouse. Those are just as generic.
The Speedway is a good connector attraction for Fantasyland and Tomorrowland. It doesn't fit in well with either land, but place in between, ties them together. A better fit for Tomorrowland would be to have a "futuristic" engine. Whether it be hydrogen, electric, solar or hamster driven. Internal combustion is so, well, it is so 1971. The addition of characters, even if it is Buzz Lightyear and WALL-E is too fantasy. It should remain as is and add a new propulsion system for the cars.
sherabby wrote:I also enjoy the speedway like it is...someone mentioned once about making a Cars theme.
This might be a little better than adding Buzz Lightyear, but it is just too PIXAR. I know it is a growing trend, but last time I checked it was Walt Disney World not Disney's World of Pixar.
They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

-Benjamin Franklin

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by theBIGyowski » Sep Wed 24, 2008 1:12 pm

agingerbugg wrote:A better fit for Tomorrowland would be to have a "futuristic" engine. Whether it be hydrogen, electric, solar or hamster driven. Internal combustion is so, well, it is so 1971.
More like 1955. It was one of the original attractions at DL on opening day. I think electric cars would be a huge upgrade. They could even get someone like GM to sponsor it...or maybe Ford or someone. You could teach kids the importance of electric cars and how they are the way of the future. That's something right there that Walt himself would want.

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

Cheshire Cat
Mark Twain Steamboat Captain
Mark Twain Steamboat Captain

Post by Cheshire Cat » Sep Wed 24, 2008 2:05 pm

I think the IllumiNations one is all but confirmed...
Reflections of Earth was only supposed to run for ten years...
The new show will have the subtitle "SkyDance". The music is being written by some Dorsey fellow (the same guy that put together the music for MSEP).

I think I read about these rumors together somewhere, but the place i read them also included redoing JII and udating the GMR also, as part of the 40th.

js3901
Matterhorn Bobsleds Climber
Matterhorn Bobsleds Climber

Post by js3901 » Sep Wed 24, 2008 2:24 pm

theBIGyowski wrote: They could even get someone like GM to sponsor it...or maybe Ford or someone. You could teach kids the importance of electric cars and how they are the way of the future. That's something right there that Walt himself would want.
don't even get me started on a sponsorship of TLS by GM (or any auto maker).

As for the OP...

I'll believe these rumors when I read an official press release on them. We've all heard rumors on various attractions for YEARS, yet nothing has come from any of them since they started. Alot of them come from places like Jim Hill Media, where they get maybe half of them right.

If they do anything to TLS, the electric car idea is best. whether solar or via the/an additional rail, or just a plug-in type of version, alternative is best. Remember that even if they were hydrogen-driven, they'd still need to be refueled every so often. electric would mean no refueling (unless they were to use a plug-in version).

Hall of Presidents is going down already on November 1 this year for an upgrade/refurb. now, that one I believe. also CBJ. that one is going down in about 4 days, and will be down until October 31. Tiki room... as much as I hate to say it, I don't think it'll be changed. Kids find it more fun with characters they know, rather than just a bunch of talking birds/tikis. at least, that's what I got by talking to some friends/family with kids. I will still HOPE that they change it back, but I accept the truth in front of me until it happens.

Now, on the the EPCOT myths here. We were told in December 2006, that Soarin' probably would nto change as it's too popular a ride to change. Now, I know you're saying, "That was 2 years ago, things change". I realize that, but I also realize that it is one of, if not THE, most popular rides in either park (Epcot or DCA). People that have ridden the ride as is love it, and those that haven't had the chance to ride it yet would be disappointed if they missed the current incarnation. changing it would also throw off the timing of the scents with the music queues and such. Illuminations is also too popular and moving to change up. They could probably add a scene at the end, like they do for holidays and special events. But to change around the main show, I think would enrage the masses that be...
"And please do not sit on the floor. My studies show you can't experience time travel on the floor. and it's not a pretty picture in those shorts" - The Timekeeper

Site Admin, WDW Freak

theBIGyowski

Post by theBIGyowski » Sep Wed 24, 2008 2:35 pm

Yeah Hall of Presidents will have to add thew newly elected President anyway...which I assume is something done everytime we get a new one.

I would hope that they thought of making Soarin' an upgradable ride...like they did with ToT. The whole thing is run by computers which I would hope would make the downtime to make adjustments very minimal. And as far as upsetting people who haven't yet ridden it the way it is...people ride it because it's a really cool aspect for a ride...not because you get to see California or smell oranges. Those things are cool...but it's the technology and overall exprience that makes it the best ride at EPCOT.

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

meticulus9

Post by meticulus9 » Sep Wed 24, 2008 3:20 pm

to poster who mentioned wild mouse: they already have one. SM is wild mouse in the dark.

some of these rumors sound great: tropical serenade, etc. but i will believe it when i see the construciton walls.

spodie

Post by spodie » Sep Wed 24, 2008 4:09 pm

js3901 wrote: Now, on the the EPCOT myths here. We were told in December 2006, that Soarin' probably would nto change as it's too popular a ride to change. Now, I know you're saying, "That was 2 years ago, things change". I realize that, but I also realize that it is one of, if not THE, most popular rides in either park (Epcot or DCA). People that have ridden the ride as is love it, and those that haven't had the chance to ride it yet would be disappointed if they missed the current incarnation. changing it would also throw off the timing of the scents with the music queues and such.
Yes, it is a popular ride, but I think people are in love with the concept more than what's actually changing. I think a "Soarin' Around the World" would fit into WDW better than Soarin' over California.

I do, however, agree with you on the music. If they have to change the music, they better do a pretty darn good job at composing something better than what is already playing in order to pull this off. It would be tough to change what's playing on the screen without changing the music.