Refurbs/Upgrades: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly . . .

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

Blackie Pueblo
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

Post by Blackie Pueblo » Sep Sat 06, 2008 8:56 am

The Good: I too have to go with The Haunted Mansion. I think it looks amazing and improved the storyline.

The Bad: There were a few I had to pick from here like The Tikki Room and The Alien to Stitch... but they are what they are. To me.. It has to be Pirates. sorry to all the fans of this but I loved the original. Adding Jack Sparrow sure it looks cool but it did NOTHING to add to the story. In fact it made it sound worse. It went from a fun ride where pirates attack a small town, to all these pirates attacking one town looking for one man. It takes away what the Pirates actually stood for. So disappointing.

The Ugly: I have to go with JII. Again, Alien to Stitch was bad, really bad but there isn't a whole lot you could do with this little space. But Journey... this was to help inspire and help you remember what it's like to use your imagaination. Isn't that what Disney about? Plus, with a character as cute and enjoyable as Figment there is so much that could have been done, but they just ruined it again and again.

"... it was all started by a mouse."
---Walter Elias Disney

DisBeamer
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by DisBeamer » Sep Sat 06, 2008 9:36 pm

Blackie Pueblo wrote:It takes away what the Pirates actually stood for. So disappointing.
I know what you mean here, but this line made me giggle. It's got a ' dang kids, keep off my lawn' feel too it. "In my day, pirates stood for something!" :lol:

It's an interesting point, though. First they took away the women-chasing aspect (though apparently selling them is still okay), now their primary goal isn't even looting anymore (though some of them still are). Adding the Finding Jack(o) story to it actually made the story somewhat less coherent room to room. I still think it makes sense though. I would expect that Barbossa and his ... command staff, for lack of a better word, would be 'on task' finding Jack, whereas the rank and file guys would just be running around grabbing whatever they could find, which still fits with the scenes as they are.
~ Caroline

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v480/atoning_unifex/Caroline%20Gaia/tta.gif[/img]

Chernabog
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by Chernabog » Sep Fri 19, 2008 12:58 pm

POTC is an improvement w/more good than bad. Most of the following examples were already mentioned, but here goes the explanation as to why:

The Davey Jones effect is excellent! The Jack S animatronics are great, very life like and it really looks like the character. Sound improvement is noticably better and it looks like the whole ride had a 'once over'.

More pluses: The helmsman is still doing his thing (BEST part of the ride)!! The ship still attacks the castle, dead men still tell no tales, the pirates still ransack, loot, burn, etc. The fact that they are looking for Jack never crossed my mind. I always assumed he was hiding from them more than they were looking for him. They were not looking for him when they attacked Olde Port Royal in the movie and ransacked the town then. So the looking for Jack thing may not make sense. The fire, the prisoners & the dog, and Jack on the teasure in the end did not take away from the old ending, in fact, it is more fun.

Now DisBeamer stole some of my thunder when she said the change from pirates chasing women to women chasing pirates was complete BS (no BS, is not a ride, it is what you think it is.)! And she had a good point on it's still OK to sell wenches, just not chase them. But keep in mind, this change was done before the Jack S refurb.

And yes, the movies will fade in popularity over time, but I do not think they will fade enough for it to hurt the ride. They are truely great movies and will remain that way. Is Star Tours or the Indiana Jones stunt show hurting because the movies are old? The answer is no, in case you are thinking about it. However, if POTC was updated w/HS Musical, then we'd have a problem!

In closing, the POTC upgrade was great. Even if the Jack S bothers you, he was only a small addition and the ride has primarily stayed the same. So stop hatin' and nit-picking and enjoy an awesome ride with solid improvements!

Now back to topic, Good, Bad, and Ugly . . .

MouseMan
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by MouseMan » Sep Fri 19, 2008 2:07 pm

I gotta say that I agree with most of what Chernabog has written, but I agree with Blackie that all that didn't add to the story so I need to say that would be my bad "upgrade".

Good would have to be HM

Ugly has to be AE to Stitch. I thought it was just anoying after seeing it the first time in 2/06. I saw it just last week and it's actually painfull to sit through. Now, someone explain to my why my kids want to see it multiple time?

Chernabog
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by Chernabog » Sep Mon 22, 2008 9:36 am

MouseMan wrote:I gotta say that I agree with most of what Chernabog has written, but I agree with Blackie that all that didn't add to the story so I need to say that would be my bad "upgrade".

Interesting. So you agree with my points on POTC, for the most part, but still grade it bad? There are worse upgrades than POTC to make your list, aren't there?

Ugly has to be AE to Stitch. I thought it was just anoying after seeing it the first time in 2/06. I saw it just last week and it's actually painfull to sit through. Now, someone explain to my why my kids want to see it multiple time?
I have yet to ride stitch but I thought AE was an excellent ride/show/whatever. I was didapointed to see it go. I can answer your question though: Kids friggin' LOVE Stitch! And that is all that matters I guess. Maybe we will give it a go in December

ddfaunt
Horseless Carriage Chauffeur
Horseless Carriage Chauffeur

Post by ddfaunt » Sep Mon 22, 2008 10:30 am

Good: Haunted Mansion

Bad: Monster's Inc. Laugh Floor

Ugly: Tiki Room Under New Management
"The Big Apple. New York, New York. City of ten million dreams ... and one parking space."

MagicKingdom Fairy89
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by MagicKingdom Fairy89 » Sep Mon 22, 2008 3:53 pm

Good: Haunted Mansion- thought it made a lot more sense now and it looks a lot better as well

Bad: Stitch's great escape. I loved Alien Encounter so was upset with it being taken over by stitch, isnt the same ride anymore.

Ugly: I'd have to say Journey into Imagination or Spaceship Earth. I like the whole touch screen and questons they ask but the rest of the ride is just a little bit boring for me.
'Just Believe and Your Dreams Will Come True' - Disney Dreams come True Parade

pixiesparkles

Post by pixiesparkles » Sep Tue 23, 2008 9:24 am

Good: HM..I love what they did with the staircase. It's so much "scarier" than the dead space they had before with the big spiders. Also, I love Pirates. I believe they did an excellent job with Jack...he looks and acts just like Jack Sparrow.

Bad: Hands down Stitch's Great Escape. I mean, do you really want to smell stinky chili dogs....that stench kind of sticks with you for a while. Yuk

Ugly: Tiki Room. Enough said.

By the way, I love Pooh. My kids are huge Pooh fans (eventhough two of them are teenagers), so we went on that ride quite a few times. I love the "bouncing with Tigger" and the "floating in the flood" parts.

Jason L. Rinckel
Main Street Horse Car Coachman

Post by Jason L. Rinckel » Sep Thu 25, 2008 6:25 am

The Good-Haunted Mansion and Pirates of the Carribean
The Bad-Honey I shrunk the Audience, I loved Captain EO and HISTA has been ther way too long
The Ugly-The Magic Of Animation, this one is also bad but I needed an ugly
I also miss my Timekeeper the Laugh Factory is terrible!!
Last edited by Jason L. Rinckel on Sep Thu 25, 2008 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jason L. Rinckel

Post by Jason L. Rinckel » Sep Thu 25, 2008 6:28 am

What am I saying Pooh was the worst upgrade Long Live Toad!!!!!! I hated Alien Encounter so Stitch was a huge upgrade.

js3901
Matterhorn Bobsleds Climber
Matterhorn Bobsleds Climber

Post by js3901 » Sep Thu 25, 2008 2:03 pm

Jason L. Rinckel wrote:I hated Alien Encounter so Stitch was a huge upgrade.
Blasphemy!
"And please do not sit on the floor. My studies show you can't experience time travel on the floor. and it's not a pretty picture in those shorts" - The Timekeeper

Site Admin, WDW Freak

yodiwan1
Storybookland Canal Boats Mate
Storybookland Canal Boats Mate

Post by yodiwan1 » Sep Thu 25, 2008 2:34 pm

The Ugly-The Magic Of Animation, this one is also bad but I needed an ugly
Are you talking about the place where you draw a character at DHS??
"hold on to them hats and glasses, cause this here's the wildest ride in the wilderness!!"