If WDW had to close two parks...

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

Cazza and Livvie's Mum
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

If WDW had to close two parks...

Post by Cazza and Livvie's Mum » Jul Thu 31, 2008 10:10 am

If WDW had to close two parks due the 'global credit crunch' :cry: which parks would you save and why?

My first would be Magic Kingdom (goes without saying) and I'd have to put the other three into a hat as I couldn't choose. :roll:

The Studios has some great stuff, Epcot is unique and Animal Kingdom - Oh God! What would we do with the animals?

I didn't want to include a Poll in this one as it is far too complex and making a choice I think would be like choosing which child to put in the lifeboat on Titanic (bit extreme, but it has to sound dramatic! :wink: ).

FlyingMouse
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by FlyingMouse » Jul Thu 31, 2008 10:34 am

Easy. Close the water parks.

agingerbugg
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by agingerbugg » Jul Thu 31, 2008 10:43 am

I would save MK and EPCOT. The choice is not hard for me. DHS can be a little dull after a few visits. As for AK? It is a great park, but it is hot and too spread out. Oh and about the animals? Disney could save on their grocery budget for a few weeks.
They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

-Benjamin Franklin

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Jul Thu 31, 2008 10:52 am

I would close AK and a water park. We have zoos around us here, and although AK is not a zoo, the other parks are more "magical" to me. There's no replacing MK, DHS or EPCOT! To me, that's WDW!

Cazza and Livvie's Mum

Post by Cazza and Livvie's Mum » Jul Thu 31, 2008 11:35 am

Forgot to say Water Parks don't count, they could be franchised off. I often wonder what colour the sky is in my world......

WVParkfan
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by WVParkfan » Jul Thu 31, 2008 11:39 am

I don't know how you could possibly decide. The MK is our least favorite park, but there's no way you could close that one. Epcot is hands-down the best park, so you couldn't close that one. The AK is our favorite park, so we couldn't vote to close that one. And we have some very fond memories of DHS as it was the first park our son ever went to when he was 4 years old.

So, I don't think I could vote for closing any park at WDW.

Now, what about closing DL Paris or Hong Kong? I have no vested interest in those parks, so can I vote for them?
April, 1998 Coronado Springs
April, 2001 Coronado Springs
January, 2004 All-Star Sports
July, 2005 Caribbean Beach Resort
April, 2006 Pop Century
December, 2006 All-Star Sports
March, 2008 All-Star Movies
April, 2009 All-Star Music
August, 2010 Disney's Swan Resort
August, 2014 Off Property - Caribe Royale

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Jul Thu 31, 2008 12:45 pm

I know everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but MK is the center of WDW! There is so much of Walt there, it's the original. I think WDW would be empty w/o MK! There's my two cents, I'm done! My only vote then would be to close AK, I can't say I'd want to see Epcot or DHS go. Too many great attractions!

JWG
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Post by JWG » Jul Thu 31, 2008 12:55 pm

If it has to be the four theme parks and I'm an Disney exectuve it's an easy answer. You save MK and Animal Kingdom.

Clearly, MK is the more popular park to the general public and Animal Kingdom has costs that can't be eliminated in the upkeep and care of the savanah and animals as well as the keepers wages. You have to continue paying for Animal Kingdom.

One could argue that another park has higher revenue than Animal Kingdom (such as Epcot) thus it should stay open, but then you have the expense of managing Animal Kingdom because of the live animals and operating another park. If you leave only Animal Kingdom open your operating expenses are, to some extent, gone elsewhere.

Don't have enough financial data to say if another park makes enough in income to offset having it open as well as still having to maintain large and significant portions of Animal Kingdom.
[url=http://www.userbars.com][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v497/HeathenAngel/Avatars%20Etc/epcot-fan.gif[/img][/url][url=http://www.userbars.com][img]http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w251/budz211/horizons.gif[/img][/url]
[img]http://www.disneypedia.org/_i/banners/bar/space-mountain2.gif[/img][img]http://www.disneypedia.org/_i/banners/bar/SR_fan.gif[/img]

Mouseketeer
Sleeping Beauty Castle Guard

Post by Mouseketeer » Jul Thu 31, 2008 1:05 pm

I agree with a few other posts, MK has alot of Walt and is the center of WDW. Epcot is my families favorite park as wife and I cannot get enough of World Showcase and the kids enjoy Future World. With attractions like Test Track, Soarin', and my son's favorite Disney attraction Spaceship Earth, Epcot cannot close. DHS is our least favorite park, but does have excellent shows, the thrill rides and the High School Musical even that my daughter loves. Animal Kingdom has made great strides to become a great park. Attractions such as Kilamanjaro Safari's, Kali River Rapids, Dinosaur, Expedition Everest, etc......That's it, none of the parks can close....they are all Magical in their own way.

Can we alternate days on which certain parks are open?

Cazza and Livvie's Mum

Post by Cazza and Livvie's Mum » Jul Thu 31, 2008 1:46 pm

No it can't be overseas, it has to be WDW, waterparks don't count and this is just make believe. It's just out of curiosity which one's Disney lovers would save.

Alternate days for different parks are not an option, just two parks would be left. Forget money, (even though I said 'credit crunch') it is which parks are closer to your heart :mickey2:

Mouseketeer

Post by Mouseketeer » Jul Thu 31, 2008 1:57 pm

With that being said, I would have to close DHS & AK. With my first visit in 1976 and countless visits since, my largest attachment is with MK simply because of the childhood memories. Epcot has attractions for all who visit and would be missed by all members of my family.

I pray that a situation like this never comes to fruition..... :goofy:

spodie
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner

Post by spodie » Jul Thu 31, 2008 5:07 pm

Yeah, I would have to choose DHS and AK (if I HAD to choose two). I would like to keep the two parks open where Walt actually had an influence and inspired attractions. We can't loose sight that he's where it all began.
~Ashleigh :minnie:

[img]http://www.mickeypath.com/id/1260514670.jpg[/img]

castmember04
Swiss Family Treehouse Guide
Swiss Family Treehouse Guide

Post by castmember04 » Jul Thu 31, 2008 5:54 pm

AK and the westside. Everest is the only reason to go. The safari gets old after the second time. The westside isn't even disney stuff. Like I want to go in virgin records.

SimonTemplar
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Post by SimonTemplar » Jul Thu 31, 2008 7:08 pm

I don't see this happening, but to play along...........I'd close DHS and AK. Depending on crowds, DHS is a half day park for me. I like a few of the attractions, but couldn't spend more than a day there. AK is getting better, but still ranks fourth on my list of the four major parks. MK and Epcot are hands down my favorites, and the ones I spend most of my time at.
"Here in Florida, we have something special we never enjoyed at Disneyland...the blessing of size. There's enough land here to hold all the ideas and plans we can possibly imagine." ~ Walt Disney

MetalRage
Flight to the Moon Flight Director
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Post by MetalRage » Jul Thu 31, 2008 8:14 pm

Magic Kingdom and EPCOT i would save :mrgreen:
"When you're curious, you find lots of interesting things to do. And one thing it takes to accomplish something is courage." - Walt Disney :mickey3:

[url=http://www.userbars.com][img]http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/9147/userbar721338ez4.gif[/img][/url]

"We wants the redhead!"