Struck By Lightning

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

sherabby
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Re: Struck By Lightning

Post by sherabby » Aug Fri 01, 2008 10:16 am

Len90 wrote:Okay, central Florida is known to have severe thunderstorms and we have all been through a lot during our stays at the WDW resort. On my most recent trip there (July 4-12), we encountered a pretty severe t-storm. We were inside the Contemporary on the Grand Canyon Concourse killing time before our ADR for California Grill. It was raining pretty bad so we had left the MK early to try and stay dry. There was a lot of lightning and thunder outside and suddenly there was a spark and a huge crackling noise. Everyone in the shops looked up and then realized what had happened. The top of the Contemporary was struck by lightning. It was extremely scary, but everyone just seemed to take it in stride. The building never lost power and anyone not on the grand canyone concourse knew it had even happened.

This instance then got me worried and I realized that it might be a frequent thing for the Disney World. Back when I was there in 2006 the resort monorail line was knocked out by a lightning bolt. Luckily it was up and running beofre the parks closing.

It got me thinking as to how often does a Disney experience something like this. It has happened at least once for me on my past two trips. Anyone else have any interesting ones to share?
Guess that might explain why the roof was leaking on July 15th! We had really bad rains all day long and at our dinner at Chef Mickey's that night I had the lucky seat! Drops of water were coming down from the ceiling right onto my seat and it was so strong it actually splashed onto the table!
[img]http://www.mickeypath.com/id/1251097102.jpg[/img]

Joe90
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

Post by Joe90 » Aug Fri 01, 2008 12:28 pm

jcodirewolf wrote:The metal trash cans shouldn't be an issue, assuming you wear gloves.
And the metal food carts, mostly seem have rubber/plastic coated wheels.
Both of which would prevent them from completing the circuit.
Not saying that isn't the rule. Just saying it shouldn't be a problem.
johno
The Lightning just jumped a 2500ft gap to hit the food cart it won't have any problems with the last 2 inches rubber wheels or not. :)

Look at the top of all the DW buildings and you will see metal spikes. These are lightning rods connected to the earth by copper cable or strips. They are put there to try to ensure that the easiest path to the ground is down the cable not through a guest. (Lightning is lazy it will take the easiest path) These rods get hit regularly it doesn't damage them.

Lightning is a funny beast though....it will sometimes just bypass the rods and strike the ground. If you are outside during a thunderstorm get inside it is safer.

earningmyfins
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer

Post by earningmyfins » Aug Fri 01, 2008 7:09 pm

August 2004, while staying at the Contemporary we were caught in the eye of Hurricane Charley. Could you imagine? We had the Cinderella Castle view and we watched the park through all of the storm. It was horrifying. The glass store was shaking and we thought it would completely break. Atleast they were playing Finding Nemo on Disney T.V.

Anyway, it was my first hurricane, some things in the parks were destroyed, trees had fallen, and Disney had a different look.
[img]http://i38.tinypic.com/k0mr2h.png[/img]

mageloff

Post by mageloff » Aug Thu 14, 2008 9:42 pm

In July a Lightning bolt hit Animal Kingdom knocking out the stand by and fast pass wait time clocks. It took about a week to get them back online. :mickey:
Nick

Jambo Wilson! Simba One is entering the reserve at Little Ituri Forest.

MetalRage
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Post by MetalRage » Aug Thu 14, 2008 9:46 pm

In July a Lightning bolt hit Animal Kingdom knocking out the stand by and fast pass wait time clocks. It took about a week to get them back online

i heard about that from a friend! He wasn't far from it when it happened :shock:
"When you're curious, you find lots of interesting things to do. And one thing it takes to accomplish something is courage." - Walt Disney :mickey3:

[url=http://www.userbars.com][img]http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/9147/userbar721338ez4.gif[/img][/url]

"We wants the redhead!"

agingerbugg
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by agingerbugg » Aug Fri 15, 2008 8:18 am

One of my neighbor's oaks was struck by lightning yesterday. It was awesome to watch, sparks and everything. Thankfully, no one was hurt and the branches missed the house.
They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

-Benjamin Franklin

rknrlrcstr
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by rknrlrcstr » Aug Fri 15, 2008 1:49 pm

>And the metal food carts, mostly seem have rubber/plastic coated wheels.

Yes, that may be true, but the lightning can jump from the metal cart to the CM (or guest for that matter) standing near it and complete it's rtip to the ground.

Also, lightning can strike the ground several miles away from the point in the cloud it originated. So, just b/c the storm may be miles away, you have to cautious of a lightning strike.

-Mark
Are we there yet? When can we go back?

I don't know what's worse, the anticipation of going or the withdrawals after getting home.

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by theBIGyowski » Aug Tue 19, 2008 9:28 am

Is anyone here at WDW right now...with the storm fast approaching? I sure hope nothing gets damaged too badly. It sure would stink to have a storm like that mess up your Disney vacation.

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

agingerbugg
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by agingerbugg » Aug Tue 19, 2008 10:21 am

theBIGyowski wrote:Is anyone here at WDW right now...with the storm fast approaching? I sure hope nothing gets damaged too badly. It sure would stink to have a storm like that mess up your Disney vacation.
From an old Floridian, you don't have much to worry about. Disney is really good at cleaning up. After Charley, which was a category 4, Disney had everything inside the parks cleaned. With the exception of some missing trees you couldn't tell there had been a hurricane the day before. Fay is just a tropical storm and according to the National Hurricane Center, Orlando can expect at most sustained winds of 45mph with gusts, but nothing near to the strength of Charley. It'll be wet, but besides that your vacation is safe. Just don't go play outside in the wind. There will still be debris flying about.
They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

-Benjamin Franklin

yodi1yensid
King Arthur Carousel Horseman
King Arthur Carousel Horseman

Post by yodi1yensid » Dec Fri 24, 2010 1:35 am

I was working one day (Custodial) on Main Street in July 2010, and a thunderstorm had quickly rolled in and began to pour really heavily. I headed to the main street custodial base (west side of main street) and was looking towards the Jungle Cruise when all of a sudden a bolt of lightning hit just past the trees and immediately after, the huge clap/boom of thunder followed. We were in a little bit of a shock, and I guessed that it must have hit near Pirates.... I was right, it hit near Pirates and the attraction ended up becoming 101 (down) for the rest of the afternoon!

MadEye
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler

Post by MadEye » Dec Fri 24, 2010 7:35 am

Wow. I missed this thread too?

Anyway... Lightning, huh?

This is not my photo, so I take no credit for it. I saw this a few years ago on another Disney fan site.

We are all a little weird
And life's a little weird,
And when we find someone whose
Weirdness is compatible with ours,
We join up with them and fall in
Mutual weirdness and call it Love.”
― Dr. Seuss

Eames: Listen, if you're gonna perform INCEPTION, you need IMAGINATION.

timekeeper
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Post by timekeeper » Dec Fri 24, 2010 9:37 am

MadEye wrote:Wow. I missed this thread too?

Anyway... Lightning, huh?

This is not my photo, so I take no credit for it. I saw this a few years ago on another Disney fan site.

Wow, that is very cool!!!!!!! Thanks for sharing it!

Mr.ToadWildRider

Post by Mr.ToadWildRider » Dec Fri 24, 2010 10:32 am

I remember one time when I was young being on the monorail with a particularly bad thunderstorm in the distance. The MK fireworks were going off on one side of the car and on the other huge arcs of lightning like that pic MadEye posted. Some guy said "We've got two displays going on for us tonight, one by Disney and one by Mother Nature." That's always stayed in my memory.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Dec Fri 24, 2010 5:29 pm

That is a very cool photo MadEye! And an awesome memory Mr.Toad!

MadEye
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler

Post by MadEye » Dec Fri 24, 2010 9:24 pm

Amy wrote:That is a very cool photo MadEye!
I think it is a prolonged exposure shot, which is why it is a great shot. Notice the lights of the ferryboat below the Contemporary.
We are all a little weird
And life's a little weird,
And when we find someone whose
Weirdness is compatible with ours,
We join up with them and fall in
Mutual weirdness and call it Love.”
― Dr. Seuss

Eames: Listen, if you're gonna perform INCEPTION, you need IMAGINATION.