What EPCOT refurb never should have happened?

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

What ride/show should have been left alone?

Journey into Imagination (the original one) - Journey Into Your Imagination (both new institute incarnations)
38%
Universe of Energy - Ellen's Energy Adventure
3%
The Living Seas - The Seas with Nemo and Friends
6%
World of Motion - Test Track
5%
El Rio del Tiempo - Gran Fiesta Tour Starring The Three Caballeros
7%
Kitchen Kabaret/Food Rocks - Soarin'
1%
Horizons - Mission: Space
14%
Wonders of Life - Big mostly unused building
19%
Communicore - Innoventions
1%
Magic Journies - Captain EO - Honey I Shrunk the Audience
3%
EPCOT Center - Epcot '94 - Epcot '95 - Epcot (ok, the name may not really matter)
3%

Total votes: 145

Admiral01
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

What EPCOT refurb never should have happened?

Post by Admiral01 » Jul Mon 21, 2008 11:28 pm

There is a lot of discussion about attraction refurbishments at EPCOT, and the positive and negative associated with them all. There are polls about which ride should be done next, and favorite extinct attractions. So, this one is about the ride that shouldn't have been refurbed at all. I left off "updates" like Space Ship Earth and The Land, focusing more on "refurbishments" where the ride is changed from the original.

I know one of the rides was removed because the building was falling into a sink hole, and some of these aren't really refurbs as much as brand new concepts. I am really curious to see the result, and see why the response is chosen. I'm sure I missed some things, but these are the biggies as I can remember.

Please don't think of this as a negative look, more like a nostalgic look at what should have not been changed at EPCOT Center/Epcot '94/Epcot '95/Epcot.

yodiwan1
Storybookland Canal Boats Mate
Storybookland Canal Boats Mate

Post by yodiwan1 » Jul Mon 21, 2008 11:35 pm

Wow, hard poll. I chose horizons. My fav of all time. I wish at least half of that lsit could be re-done. or at least have both attraactions.
"hold on to them hats and glasses, cause this here's the wildest ride in the wilderness!!"

Captain Schnemo
Columbia Sailing Ship Admiral
Columbia Sailing Ship Admiral

Post by Captain Schnemo » Jul Tue 22, 2008 2:36 am

Well, if you take the last option to mean the original version of EPCOT vs. the current incarnation (ie, "all of the above"), I choose that one.

It's almost impossible for me to choose the worst abomination of the remaining options. I can make a good case for just about any of them.

The only one I can categorically rule out is Soarin'. Although it has nothing to do with The Land concept, the other two shows really just barely had anything to do with anything. "Veggie Fruit Fruit" was entertaining, and pleasingly bizarre, but kind of indefensible in the grand scheme of things.

Soarin' at least isn't hostile to the original concept of Future World. It's a neutral change, whereas all the others are enough to make me want to punch Eisner in the groin.

agingerbugg
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by agingerbugg » Jul Tue 22, 2008 7:49 am

Captain Schnemo wrote:whereas all the others are enough to make me want to punch Eisner in the groin.
Captain Schnemo, you are being far too kind. He deserves worse.

And I agree, there are too many on that list that I think shouldn't have been changed. It is a shame how far EPCOT has fallen, but I guess if you look at the numbers it can be justified. The park is busier now than I can ever remember it being.
They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

-Benjamin Franklin

netslave
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by netslave » Jul Tue 22, 2008 9:15 am

I choose the Wonders of Live Pavilion. There's no reason that a pavilion should be closed.

But I'd really vote for Space Ship Earth.
[img]http://www.geocities.com/thenetslave/potc.gif[/img] [img]http://www.geocities.com/thenetslave/spaceship-earth2.gif[/img]
[img]http://www.geocities.com/thenetslave/star-tours.gif[/img] [img]http://www.geocities.com/thenetslave/dinosaur.gif[/img]

Croaker
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner

Post by Croaker » Jul Tue 22, 2008 9:43 am

I chose Journey into Imagination but i made a mistake. I actually think that pavillion reflects where Disney has gone. While it still is entertaining...its lacking the originality that it once posessed. ha ok thats harsh. realistically i think the only thing i get upset with Disney with is the little things. you could take away Test Track and i would figure it was a money pit so it had to go. What i get a bit dissapointed with is the little changes. Japan pavillion used to have tons of merchandise. now its thinning out. Main Street used to have unique shops and penny arcade. now its one big outlet mall. they used to have Davey Crockett Canoe rides did they get rid of it because we are lazy? What about the Wonder of Life Pavillion? its there....people still want to see it......is it losing money? why isn't it replaced with something? We are offered a full buffett then we watch as they diminish it to a $1 menu at a fast food restraunt. problem is...i love this $1 menu so i guess since i continue to order from it...it doesn't have to improve.
[img]http://www.oleole.es/main/web/images/manchester-united_banner.jpg[/img]

pkbabygirl
Motor Boat Cruise Skipper
Motor Boat Cruise Skipper

Post by pkbabygirl » Jul Tue 22, 2008 10:22 am

netslave wrote:I choose the Wonders of Live Pavilion. There's no reason that a pavilion should be closed.

But I'd really vote for Space Ship Earth.
This was my feeling. I loved the Wonders of Life building personally. However if they are going to do away with it, let's see the building put to good use.

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Jul Tue 22, 2008 10:35 am

I chose World of Motion, I think they should've left that one alone. Test Track is just o.k. I LOVED "Food Rocks" but didn't vote for that one, b/c Soarin is awesome!

csquare77
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

Post by csquare77 » Jul Tue 22, 2008 10:38 am

FIGMENT!

Cheshire Cat
Mark Twain Steamboat Captain
Mark Twain Steamboat Captain

Post by Cheshire Cat » Jul Tue 22, 2008 10:46 am

With polls like this I'm always torn between JII and Horizons. These were probably the two most important concepts in all of epcot. As much as I hate M:S, it's probably a technological step forward whereas. JII, an attraction dedicated to creative thinking took a step back. Way back.

bbowen13

Post by bbowen13 » Jul Tue 22, 2008 10:51 am

Although there are several others I could have gone with I chose Wonders of Life. At least with the other selections they are still using the space.

BirdandRobot
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Post by BirdandRobot » Jul Tue 22, 2008 11:35 am

I went with Journey Into Imagination because JIIWF is one of the worst rides in Disney history, whereas Mission:SPACE & Test Track are simply dull "thrill" rides. Aside from that, I agree with Captain Schnemo that the original attractions were usually better than their replacements.

DisBeamer
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by DisBeamer » Jul Tue 22, 2008 2:15 pm

Urg.. hard decision. I ended up voting JII as I think it's the only one that, if left entirely alone, would have still been okay today. To look at the rest in order:

Universe of Energy - Ellen's Energy Adventure - I'm not a huge Ellen fan, but something really did need to be done with that original attraction. Maybe not this but something.

The Living Seas - The Seas with Nemo and Friends - This is probably my second choice. What's wrong with leaving an aquarium as an aquarium? Why add animated fish when you have real ones right there? Why make the ride completely pointless?

World of Motion - Test Track - Would likely have needed some kind of update to stay 'current', but might have snuck by? Not sure on that one.

El Rio del Tiempo - Gran Fiesta Tour Starring The Three Caballeros - Original ride cheesey. New ride cheesey. Call it a wash.

Kitchen Kabaret/Food Rocks - Soarin' - I actually liked Kitchen Kabaret and it's descendant better than Soarin' but I know I'm in the minority on that so I can't criticize them for blowing this away.

Horizons - Mission: Space - As much as I love Horizons, it was in bad repair by the time it closed (the 2nd time), it was in need of an update much the same way CoP is, and if we believe the hype, something was wrong with the building. While I would have liked to see them do something with the same scope as the original ride as a replacement and put M:S somewhere else, I find it hard to say they should have just left it alone completely.

Wonders of Life - Big mostly unused building - Also in the running for my pick. Just a waste of space.

Communicore - Innoventions - Communicore was kind of cool, but probably only for repeat visitors who had time to poke around. I'm sure there are some people out there who think Innoventions is cool. Probably another wash.

Magic Journies - Captain EO - Honey I Shrunk the Audience - Never saw Magic Journeys, and Captain EO is on my 'what do you dread seeing in the queue' list. I think this is probably due to be updated again, actually.

EPCOT Center - Epcot '94 - Epcot '95 - Epcot (ok, the name may not really matter) - Just talking about changing the name here I take it? Did everyone really ever call it anything other than 'Epcot'? I guess I remember calling it EPCOT Center... kinda. Maybe. ;)
~ Caroline

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v480/atoning_unifex/Caroline%20Gaia/tta.gif[/img]

SWHorn

Post by SWHorn » Jul Tue 22, 2008 2:59 pm

Wonders of Life. What an incredible waste.
No fear hath ye of evil curses, says you.
Arrrrrr.
Properly warned ye be, says I.

kcarts
Flight to the Moon Flight Director
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Post by kcarts » Jul Tue 22, 2008 3:05 pm

I agree SW. I hate to see space not being used. If they are doing something on the inside then I stand corrected.