What EPCOT refurb never should have happened?

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

What ride/show should have been left alone?

Journey into Imagination (the original one) - Journey Into Your Imagination (both new institute incarnations)
38%
Universe of Energy - Ellen's Energy Adventure
3%
The Living Seas - The Seas with Nemo and Friends
6%
World of Motion - Test Track
5%
El Rio del Tiempo - Gran Fiesta Tour Starring The Three Caballeros
7%
Kitchen Kabaret/Food Rocks - Soarin'
1%
Horizons - Mission: Space
14%
Wonders of Life - Big mostly unused building
19%
Communicore - Innoventions
1%
Magic Journies - Captain EO - Honey I Shrunk the Audience
3%
EPCOT Center - Epcot '94 - Epcot '95 - Epcot (ok, the name may not really matter)
3%

Total votes: 145

mradamlaurie
Omnibus Driver
Omnibus Driver

Hard question

Post by mradamlaurie » Mar Fri 13, 2009 10:48 am

That is BY FAR one of the hardest questions ever because Epcot hit perfection around 1992ish before they tried the make it more "exciting." Sorry everyone, it's a fact 1992ish, perfection, it's in the history books.

Admiral01
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Post by Admiral01 » Mar Sun 15, 2009 2:03 am

That is BY FAR one of the hardest questions ever because Epcot hit perfection around 1992ish before they tried the make it more "exciting." Sorry everyone, it's a fact 1992ish, perfection, it's in the history books.
I have said that exact thing to friends. If I could go to any theme park at any time, it would be EPCOT Center in the early 90s. I do miss EPCOT Center.

withspirit
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by withspirit » Mar Mon 16, 2009 5:20 pm

I have missed the original "Journey into Imagination" since the day it disappeared :( . I guess I will just continue to imagine it the way it was :cry:
No really, see? It's a screwdriver and it's... sonic
The Doctor

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by theBIGyowski » Mar Tue 17, 2009 2:03 pm

withspirit wrote:I have missed the original "Journey into Imagination" since the day it disappeared :( . I guess I will just continue to imagine it the way it was :cry:
It's one of my favorite tracks to listen to because it's the only way to relive the original ride. It was my favorite thing in all of WDW when I went there for my first trip at the green age of 4. Of course there were only two parks...and EPCOT was just a few years old. It was still my favorite and will always hold a special place in my heart. Maybe one day they will bring back the Dreamfinder. :cry:

Peerless83
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by Peerless83 » Mar Thu 19, 2009 7:45 am

I also wish they wouldnt have taken out the live castmember on the land ride...but i know it is a lot cheaper to have an recording instead of paying $6.00 hr to a college program intern

Admiral01
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Post by Admiral01 » Mar Thu 19, 2009 5:07 pm

My little brother just came to visit and talked to me about what he remembers from EPCOT. He last visited the park in the 90s. The conversation went something like this:

"What was the ride with the cop sitting behind the sign?"
"World of Motion. That is now Test Track."
"Oh...well what about the one with the orange smell in the farming scene?"
"That was Horizons. That was torn down so Mission: Space could be built."
"Oh...what about the Living Seas?"
"They put in Nemo stuff and now it is almost unrecognizable."
"Oh...what about Body Wars?"
"Wonders of Life is closed."
"Oh...is Space Ship Earth still the same?"
"Pretty much...but it is missing an ending."
"Is the big network map scene still there?"
"No."
"Oh..."

All the "Ohs" he said were disappointed "Ohs"

figment34786
Swiss Family Treehouse Guide
Swiss Family Treehouse Guide

Post by figment34786 » Mar Sun 22, 2009 9:20 pm

Journey into Imagination defiantly. The ride in there now is an insult to the parks!!

Soarin08
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by Soarin08 » Aug Fri 14, 2009 2:06 am

Here's my thinking-

1. DO SOMETHING WITH WOL!!!!!!!! PLEASE!! I did some snooping.... Body Wars queue is still intact, minus the mural and sign.... so I'm guessing full ride is still hidden back there? Perhaps they could update the film for it..... un-date Cranium Command and re-add it. Perhaps give Making of Me another go. In today's world of unhealthiness (and I hail from the fattest state in America- Mississippi), WDW needs a health pavilion. I almost think they should reinstate Food Rocks and put it in WoL. I loved that show when I first went to WDW in 1997. My parents have it videotaped somewhere...... Odyssey just sits there.... can't it house F&G, F&W, and all other events? WDW uses it for Grand Gatherings, why not for the festivals?

2. JII...... Ok, I like the current ride. Hurt me now, but I do. I don't remember the original and never saw it when it was JIYI. But I would like to see the original version with Dreamfinder. Perhaps we will be seeing that in a few years- maybe for EPCOT's big 3-0?? ;)

3. GET RID OF NEMO!!!! Put him at AK with that musical or at DHS. I loved the original Living Seas. I cringe when I walk in there and see that place all Nemo-ed up. I like Turtle Talk, sure.... but not at Epcot. Again, go to AK where you belong, little clownfish.

4. I love UoE with Ellen. Enough said. :)

5. Never saw WoM, but I would like too. Maybe, since Test Track breaks down more than it runs, WoM should return. And Test Track when it rains..... pathetic. It can't be ridden in blinding rain since the best part is OUTSIDE!!! Smart move, Imagineers.....

6. I'm fine with Gran Fiesta.

7. I can't do without Soarin'. Sorry. It stays. As I mentioned, perhaps an improved version of either KK or FR could be incorporated into a WoL overhaul. Though I miss the old Sunshine Seasons. I remember eating Mickeyroni when I was 6. :(

8. Put M:S in Tomorrowland and bring back Horizons! Enough said.

9. We've been over WoL. Moving on....

10. CommuniCore, Innoventions..... don't see the difference so whatever. I like Innoventions (especially the Segways).

11. Maybe I'm in the minority.... I love HISTA. My favorite 3D show at WDW. Michael Jackson is a major no-no.... though I'm shocked WDW didn't dust the film off and show it in his memory after he died.

12. I called Epcot EPCOT CENTER. There. That's solved.

13. Oh.... get rid of that Refreshment Outpost Africa thing and put in another country. I'd love Australia to be put in there. Or, if WDW doesn't want to build a whole other country, open back up that Millenium Pavillion that sits hidden behind a fence.

metsofny
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

Post by metsofny » Aug Sat 15, 2009 9:11 pm

I voted Journey into Imagination, although it's time to start the bring back Captain EO chants.

usetonamick
Omnibus Driver
Omnibus Driver

Post by usetonamick » Aug Sat 15, 2009 9:17 pm

JII has to be redone - My kids like it, but have no idea what it used to be

Soarin08
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by Soarin08 » Aug Sat 15, 2009 11:03 pm

metsofny wrote:I voted Journey into Imagination, although it's time to start the bring back Captain EO chants.
I'm surprised WDW didn't do that when MJ died.

Admiral01
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Post by Admiral01 » Aug Sun 16, 2009 2:16 am

If EO can still be shown in the HISTA theater without any major modifications, I expect to see it sometime. Jackson is being treated as a legend, with most of the negative stigmas attached to his name being erased by his death. Though I do expect Disney to wait for official autopsy findings and the investigation into what actually happened the day he passed...just incase the investigation finds something really bad.

If the investigation rules accident or wrongful death, but nothing of MJ's fault, I do think Captail EO will make the rounds through WDW, DLR, TDL, DLP, and the rest of the intact 3-D theaters around the Disney Parks.

Soarin08
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by Soarin08 » Aug Sun 16, 2009 11:17 pm

Admiral01 wrote:If EO can still be shown in the HISTA theater without any major modifications, I expect to see it sometime. Jackson is being treated as a legend, with most of the negative stigmas attached to his name being erased by his death. Though I do expect Disney to wait for official autopsy findings and the investigation into what actually happened the day he passed...just incase the investigation finds something really bad.

If the investigation rules accident or wrongful death, but nothing of MJ's fault, I do think Captail EO will make the rounds through WDW, DLR, TDL, DLP, and the rest of the intact 3-D theaters around the Disney Parks.
I completely agree with your post. We probably will have EO back if it comes to pass that Jackson's death was nothing overly controversial.

Admiral01
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Post by Admiral01 » Aug Sun 16, 2009 11:37 pm

I sure hope EO does make the rounds again. I do like HISTA (though I hate that Disney decided to re-theme the whole Imagination pavilion around the 3-D movie), but it would be awesome to see MJ as Captain EO again.

It was a pretty amazing short film, with George Lucas writing the screen play, Francis Ford Coppola directing, James Horner doing the score, Anjelica Huston as the queen, and the rest of the production value. It took a lot of imagination to do that film. Huh, Imagination, who would have thought...

Soarin08
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by Soarin08 » Aug Sun 16, 2009 11:51 pm

I don't think that pavilion has much in the way of imagination anymore, really. It's sad.