The Other Disney Pins

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

Cheshire Cat
Mark Twain Steamboat Captain

The Other Disney Pins

Post by Cheshire Cat » Jul Sun 20, 2008 5:38 pm

I got a little bit into the Pin Trading this year after my freind gave me a few that she didn't want. I traded some and bought a few of my own for the first time. When I got home to put them in a tin with some of my other Disney pins I realized that a few of the pins I already owned weren't even "Disney Trading Pins". They're almost identical in design except they don't have the mickey shaped backing (they just have a black rubber circle) and where it should have the Pin Trading logo, it just says 'Walt Disney World". These pins were bought in 2000, so I think the pin trading was already taking place, but they're not even in the Pin Trading database. What are the pins that I have? Does anyone else have these pins? Are they just plain ordinary Disney pins that serve no greater purpose? :lol:

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g101/ ... 040934.jpg
Picture of an official Disney Trading Pin on the right (epcot 25) and an example of one of the weirdo pins that I have on the left (bought in either the late 90s or 2000). One of the other "oddball" pins that I have is a pin of the wedding pavilion and has a 2000 logo next the the "Walt Disney World logo.

kcarts
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Post by kcarts » Jul Sun 20, 2008 5:56 pm

Live and learn. I didn't realize there were "official" trading pins. So what happens if you're caught trading an unofficial pin? Are you black balled from trading?

Cheshire Cat

Post by Cheshire Cat » Jul Sun 20, 2008 5:58 pm

On the official rules it says CMs are only allowed to trade pins with a mickey shaped backing.

Now I found a paradox though. The pin I showed in the above picture is shown on the pin trading site, however none of the others that I have with that design are in there (They would have been easy to find. IE Test Track Car, Rockin' Roller Coaster logo, Wedding Pavilion, Cinderella, etc... simple search stuff). They were all bought in 2000 at the same time.

Shinku
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Post by Shinku » Jul Sun 20, 2008 7:07 pm

I wouldn't worry too much about the strange backings. Often times people lose the official mickey ones and will grab one off of some other pin around the house. Heck, I've even been known to use the eraser from a pencil in a pinch. CM's aren't too picky about that.

spodie
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner

Post by spodie » Jul Sun 20, 2008 7:24 pm

Yeah, I'm not really into the whole pin trading thing, but a few trips back, I was talking to a CM that was at the bus stop at the Boardwalk. He was "getting out of the business" and gave me a few pins. Most of them didn't have the Mickey backings, but I was able to trade them no problem. In fact, this is the first I've even heard that there was a rule like that.
~Ashleigh :minnie:

[img]http://www.mickeypath.com/id/1260514670.jpg[/img]

Cheshire Cat

Post by Cheshire Cat » Jul Sun 20, 2008 7:29 pm

Haha sorry if I sound like a stickler for rules. I'm not, I didn't even know about them until a few hours ago. I was just looking up how many of each of my pins was released and then I couldn't find a few of mine on there so I started googling and that's what most people were saying about the Mickey backings. I think it was a question on the Mom's Board, "Can Cast Members ever say no to a trade?" and one of the exceptions was if there was no Mickey backing. If I were a cast member I wouldn't care less either :lol: .

Sleepy90

Post by Sleepy90 » Jul Mon 21, 2008 2:50 am

Here is another exception for you Cheshire Cat. Cast members wearing Green lanyards can only trade with children, they usally have all the classic character pins :D

All of my pins have mickey backs even the ones I got years ago. Watch what you doing though a cast Member nearly had a canary when a child came up to me and asked if she could see my lanyard,then pointing at my turk pin said "oh I really like that one" my response was of course "would you like to trade" which she did I now have a very nasty looking pin but the child went of skipping with her mother. It turns out your not supposed to do this :shock: . I didn,t see the problem and said "sorry I,m British I didn,t realise you were not supposed to trade unless you did it with cast members.

netslave
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by netslave » Jul Mon 21, 2008 8:46 am

I've had cast members look at the pins I'm trading, but they're only looking for 'Disney' on the back of them. I've had some keep their mickey backs, but others tell me to keep my mickey back while they keep their metal back. They are very inconsistent with their rules and how they enforce them.
[img]http://www.geocities.com/thenetslave/potc.gif[/img] [img]http://www.geocities.com/thenetslave/spaceship-earth2.gif[/img]
[img]http://www.geocities.com/thenetslave/star-tours.gif[/img] [img]http://www.geocities.com/thenetslave/dinosaur.gif[/img]

DisBeamer
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by DisBeamer » Jul Mon 21, 2008 1:52 pm

It's kind of bizarre they'd care about the backing, since as I understand it a lot of 'hardcore' traders switch their Mickey backs out for metal ones, since the Mickey ones fall off more easily. You'd think some kind of Disney copyright on the back would be all they needed. I remember seeing that 4 Parks - One World pin in WDW circa 2001. My honeymoon scrapbook is the same logo/tagline. It's odd that the backing would differentiate it somehow in the Big Database O' Pins. :D

In the 'can they say no' vein, I know they're also allowed to refuse if they have the same pin you're offering them already on their lanyard/board thingamabob.
~ Caroline

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v480/atoning_unifex/Caroline%20Gaia/tta.gif[/img]

Joe90
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

Post by Joe90 » Jul Mon 21, 2008 2:35 pm

You can buy packets of the Mickey shaped backs from the pin trading centers.
I think that if it is a Disney pin you can trade it Mickey backing or not
"We live in a society absolutely dependent on science and technology and yet have cleverly arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. " Carl Sagan

Cheshire Cat

Post by Cheshire Cat » Jul Mon 21, 2008 3:34 pm

I'm not so much concerned about trading them (There's no way I'll be trading a pin of the Disney-MGM Studios earful tower). I was just wondering why they're not in the database (with the exception of the "Four Parks-One World" pin). All of the other pins I got this year are in the database. Disney just confuses me sometimes... :roll:

agingerbugg
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by agingerbugg » Jul Mon 21, 2008 3:43 pm

I still have the full set of collector pins put out for the 25th anniversary of MK. Those I will never trade.
They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

-Benjamin Franklin

jcodirewolf
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Post by jcodirewolf » Jul Mon 21, 2008 6:29 pm

Which Pin Database didn't you find it in? It's in the www.odpt.com (That is Official Disney Pin Trading, run by Event Services at Disney.)

But this looks like your pin

johno
[color=red]Updated![/color] For 2008 - [url=http://www.direwolf.com/Dreams/]Million Dreams Postcard Generator[/url]

DisBeamer
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by DisBeamer » Jul Mon 21, 2008 8:01 pm

Well now I'm gonna end up wasting a lot of time looking up pins. ;)

And here I always thought this one I bought on ebay last year was a fake. Good to know.
~ Caroline

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v480/atoning_unifex/Caroline%20Gaia/tta.gif[/img]

Cheshire Cat

Post by Cheshire Cat » Jul Mon 21, 2008 10:02 pm

But this looks like your pin
Yeah, that's the only one I was able to find.

The others include:
A Test Track vehicle side view
Rockin' Rollercaoster Logo in a diamond with Mickey in the front seat
The Wedding pavilion with slideable cinderella's carriage in front
The Earful tower
Very cartoony (Barbie?) Cinderella
The brown space mountain with mickey in a rocket ship

don't ask me why I got these, I hardly remember buying them. :lol: