Moderator: Moderators

IMFearless
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Cheapest trip evah!

Post by IMFearless » Jul Thu 17, 2008 7:37 am

How cheap can you make a trip to WDW?
Here's what my family did:
We worked Dad's work schedule to have long periods of time off.
Trips were late January/early February or late October/early November.
We DROVE from MAINE to FLORIDA with a pop-up trailer, drive typically took 2 days.
Camped out ON PROPERTY at Fort Wilderness during the down season, paid somewhere around $30 a night.
Stayed for 30-40 DAYS.
Purchased Premium Annuals for 4.
Would then make three such trips over a year - say February 2004, October 2004, January 2005, so the pass is good for three trips - each about a month long.
All of our food would be courtesy Wal-Mart; we'd bring sandwiches into the parks. We'd eat out some, but generally not much.
Total trip cost?
Average of $4000 a trip.
I kid you not.
This happened pretty much every two years from 1998 to 2005.
We guess that now it would probably cost $6K, though, due to the price of gas.
What do you do to save money?
()()()()
___..._
|...|.. V
+-+--+ The wildest ride in the wilderness!
+-----+
()()....O

[url=http://ubdesigner.com]
Forwhating?
Hi everybody! I'm a corporate symbol!

WVParkfan
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by WVParkfan » Jul Thu 17, 2008 7:48 am

Good golly, 3 months in Disney World???? What did you do about school?

Most of our money saving efforts revolve around three things:
1) We buy the most tickets we can afford, with the "no-expiration" option. We then parcel those tickets out over several years of visits. So, some of our visits are very inexpensive because we don't have to buy any tickets at all.
2) We no longer fly. It is about a 15 hour drive to WDW from our home, but driving is a lot cheaper.
3) We bring food for breakfast in our room; eat cheap snacks for lunch or go back to our room for sandwiches; and usually do counter service for dinner.
April, 1998 Coronado Springs
April, 2001 Coronado Springs
January, 2004 All-Star Sports
July, 2005 Caribbean Beach Resort
April, 2006 Pop Century
December, 2006 All-Star Sports
March, 2008 All-Star Movies
April, 2009 All-Star Music
August, 2010 Disney's Swan Resort
August, 2014 Off Property - Caribe Royale

jeremyleo
Motor Boat Cruise Skipper
Motor Boat Cruise Skipper

Post by jeremyleo » Jul Thu 17, 2008 7:58 am

Your family vacations sound awesome. I'd love to spend a month at WDW in my trailer! Alas DW is not keen to do the drive (from Ontario) and so we fly (usually on frequent flyer points).

For accommodations we typically rent points for stays at DVC resorts (less cost than moderates, usually) and switch resorts for the weekend nights to a value or moderate (DVC points are double on weekend nights).

We usually bring an extra suitcase full of breakfast-type foods so we can eat before hitting the parks in the mornings and save some time and money. At the end of the trip the suitcase is often full of souveneirs though...

We share CS meals and suppliment with snacks we bring with us. We also bring snack bags for the kids from home that they can access freely throughout the day.

We also bring our own water bottles that we reuse for the week.

Mostly little things, but added together costs can go up very quickly. It is always a fun challenge for me to figure out how to save money on each trip. I think it drives DW nuts though.

IMFearless

Post by IMFearless » Jul Thu 17, 2008 2:04 pm

I was homeschooled. :D As much vacation time as I want. I just bring schoolwork to do for the drive there and back. And ... <_<_> ... Mom would count days in Epcot and Animal Kingdom as "educational" and add that time to the 80 science hours needed for a credit. Best. Field. Trip. Ever.

Oh, another tip: you know those giant popcorn buckets? Pop your own popcorn before leaving and bring it in those. It also helps finding them lying around the park, possibly partly broken. I think once we found one without a cover and then found just a cover. Wash them, and ta da!
()()()()
___..._
|...|.. V
+-+--+ The wildest ride in the wilderness!
+-----+
()()....O

[url=http://ubdesigner.com]
Forwhating?
Hi everybody! I'm a corporate symbol!

cordray2643
Omnibus Driver
Omnibus Driver

Post by cordray2643 » Jul Fri 18, 2008 5:24 pm

I travel every week throughout the year for work. I cover the US and Canada. Taking anywhere from 2-10 flights a week gets me alot of frequent flyer points. I use those points for our trip to WDW each year. SO getting there is $5 each for the security fee. Throughout the year I stay at Holiday Inn hotels to accumulate Priority Club points. for 59,000 points I can get a $250 Anywhere Amex Hotel Card. This card works when paying for a Disney Package. I usually accumulate enough points for 10-13 days at Disney with 10 day magic your way tickets. This year I realized that I could also do the dining plan. In December we will be at the world for 12 days (11 nights) with 10 days of tickets with Dining as well all for $0 before souvenier money.

We also coincide my business trips to do about 4 trips to Disneyland each year of 3 days each.

I don't know what I will do when my daughter hits the age where she doesn't want to go to the parks anymore, or even worse she won't care about the character dinings anymore.

I don't even want to think about it!
Character Meals: 14 and counting

agingerbugg
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by agingerbugg » Jul Fri 18, 2008 8:56 pm

cordray2643 wrote:
I don't know what I will do when my daughter hits the age where she doesn't want to go to the parks anymore, or even worse she won't care about the character dinings anymore.

I don't think you should worry about that. My family would visit WDW almost every weekend from the time I was six until I moved out for school. I still haven't reached the age where I am too old to want to go to the parks. It's been twenty years! Also, WDW is one of the reasons I won't move out of Florida. I don't want to have to travel across country, I love it too much. If your daughter is anything like me, she will never outgrow it.
They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

-Benjamin Franklin

DisBeamer
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by DisBeamer » Jul Sat 19, 2008 4:38 am

I have to admit, I'm not all that thrifty during a WDW vacation. I think we're more in the 'save the rest of the year(s) so that we don't have to be thrifty when we get there' category. :lol: Probably easier because there are no kids involved, though. I imagine that'd change the budgeting a heck of a lot.
agingerbugg wrote:
cordray2643 wrote:

I don't think you should worry about that. My family would visit WDW almost every weekend from the time I was six until I moved out for school. I still haven't reached the age where I am too old to want to go to the parks. It's been twenty years! Also, WDW is one of the reasons I won't move out of Florida. I don't want to have to travel across country, I love it too much. If your daughter is anything like me, she will never outgrow it.
I was going to say something similar to agingerbugg. I only visited at most once a year (not every weekend-ish), but I've made it to 30 and still haven't reached the point I don't want to go to the parks anymore. Character dining I might pass on, though. ;)

Anyway, odds are your daughter got the Disney Gene from you. You should be safe for a long time to come.
~ Caroline

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v480/atoning_unifex/Caroline%20Gaia/tta.gif[/img]

spodie
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner

Post by spodie » Jul Sat 19, 2008 10:04 am

cordray2643 wrote:

Yeah, I'm 20 and I just bought my first Annual Pass - if it's possible, I want to go more now than I did when I was a kid! :D
~Ashleigh :minnie:

[img]http://www.mickeypath.com/id/1260514670.jpg[/img]

dwellsbct
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by dwellsbct » Jul Sat 19, 2008 10:22 am

Yeah, I'm 20 and I just bought my first Annual Pass - if it's possible, I want to go more now than I did when I was a kid!

It is possible... I have been many many more time since I have become an "adult". My parents could not afford many Disney trip even though we lived in South Florida. I'm 42 now and figure I've been about 30 time since I was 18 and I think just 3 times before I was 18. :goofy_bounce:
"I only hope that we don't lose sight of one thing - that it was all started by a mouse."
W.Disney

netslave
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by netslave » Jul Sat 19, 2008 10:23 am

spodie wrote:
Yeah, I'm 20 and I just bought my first Annual Pass - if it's possible, I want to go more now than I did when I was a kid! :D
Annual Passes make you want to go more as well. We used to use them as excuses to go. I mean, when it's about to expire, you HAVE to go use it right? ;)
[img]http://www.geocities.com/thenetslave/potc.gif[/img] [img]http://www.geocities.com/thenetslave/spaceship-earth2.gif[/img]
[img]http://www.geocities.com/thenetslave/star-tours.gif[/img] [img]http://www.geocities.com/thenetslave/dinosaur.gif[/img]

yodiwan1
Storybookland Canal Boats Mate
Storybookland Canal Boats Mate

Post by yodiwan1 » Jul Sat 19, 2008 1:46 pm

Before I ever dreamed of being a CP, and I was old enough to have a life of my own, I went to UCF(central florida). Luckily my grandparents bought me an anual pass so I coulg go with other friends that had one. We went at elast once a week, brought our own food, and had a blast! Occasionaly we ate at palces in Epcot, but not to often. I would say I actually spent closer to $1,000 over a 6 month period. Thats not to bad!
"hold on to them hats and glasses, cause this here's the wildest ride in the wilderness!!"

horizons1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by horizons1 » Jul Tue 22, 2008 7:25 pm

Wow, that's a crazy amount of time in WDW but I am jealous!
No one's gloomy or complaining while the flatware's entertaining.

Cazza and Livvie's Mum

Post by Cazza and Livvie's Mum » Jul Sat 26, 2008 12:44 pm

My cheapest trip to WDW was $365.30 dollars for two whole weeks.

That included flights from UK to MCO, transfers (not Magical Express), Magic Your Way with Park Hopper and Water Park Fun and More, one week in AKL and one in POP Century for four people.

I managed this as I won a phone in comp on a local radio station answering 10 questions about Disney, but the prize was for one week. When I got my details from Disney, I asked to extend the trip to two weeks and also the Park Tickets and asked how much? I received an e-mail telling me that I could book a room at a Value Restort of my choice for $49 dollars plus tax per night and the Park tickets were complimentary!!!

Our trips normally cost us in excess of £8000 dollars. Working it all out it cost us less than $7 per day per person. Fantastic!

btharvey
King Arthur Carousel Horseman
King Arthur Carousel Horseman

Post by btharvey » Aug Fri 29, 2008 9:43 pm

We've found that our family costs more to fly and stay in a room or cabin than it does to pull a trailer and camp. And since we then have all the comforts of (our) home, a great place to stay and swim and bike ... and Pluto and Goofy and Minnie (our faves) ... we'll never do it any other way.
--
B. T. Harvey
Leonardtown, MD USA
Periodically Trailering to Fort Wilderness

AKLRULZ
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by AKLRULZ » Aug Sun 31, 2008 11:08 am

With our APs we buy in to Disney's Dining Experience (for FL residents and AP holders). We save a ton of money on meals with this.
Steve Baker ~ Travel Consultant :mickey3:
Steve.Baker@themagicforless.com
Affiliated with The Magic for Less
www.themagicforless.com

[url=http://ubanimator.com][img]http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/4199/userbar517512ps8.gif[/img][/url]