Whoah... (Surreal Vintage Picture)

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

Captain Schnemo
Columbia Sailing Ship Admiral
Columbia Sailing Ship Admiral

Post by Captain Schnemo » Jun Sun 01, 2008 8:47 pm

Cheshire Cat wrote:I'm thinking the whole outdoor seaing area of the umbrella is the area that was altered.
I was thinking the same thing. The googly eye on the right of your face. His left eye, I guess.

I also had the thought that the original picture seems to be designed exclusively for mystery. It's not a particularly interesting or photogenic shot, and it makes you wonder why anyone would stop and snap a photo there.

I guess it says something about how you used to be able to see the park icon from all over the place, before they added all the whirligigs and garter belts and what not.

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Jun Mon 02, 2008 8:47 am

Captain Schnemo wrote:
Cheshire Cat wrote:I'm thinking the whole outdoor seaing area of the umbrella is the area that was altered.
I was thinking the same thing. The googly eye on the right of your face. His left eye, I guess.

I also had the thought that the original picture seems to be designed exclusively for mystery. It's not a particularly interesting or photogenic shot, and it makes you wonder why anyone would stop and snap a photo there.

I guess it says something about how you used to be able to see the park icon from all over the place, before they added all the whirligigs and garter belts and what not.
Have we gone from trying to figure out where the picture was taken from to why??
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

GhostHost
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by GhostHost » Jun Mon 02, 2008 9:35 am

Those umbrella like columns look sort of like the ones used in the SC Johnson administration building designed by Frank Lloyd Wright.

Image Image
"Like a grand and miraculous spaceship, our planet has sailed through the universe of time, and for a brief moment we have been among it's many passengers." -Spaceship Earth / Epcot

Mission Space 2003 Pioneer Crew

DisBeamer
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by DisBeamer » Jun Mon 02, 2008 6:15 pm

Captain Schnemo wrote:

I kind of wondered at first if someone the picture-taker knew was in the eating area but the more I look at it, the more I'm wondering if it was really a professional shot Disney was using in advertising, or a park booklet or something. It really has that kind of feel to it; like the really old-school EPCOT Center guidebooks? Some of the other pics on that flickr account do, too, especially the overhead shot with the rainbow planes.
~ Caroline

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v480/atoning_unifex/Caroline%20Gaia/tta.gif[/img]

kristen
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Post by kristen » Jun Mon 02, 2008 8:36 pm

It's definitely not The Odyssey. It's one of the restaurants in Communicore. I just can't recall which is on which side at the moment. There used to be a lot more water in that area.

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Jun Tue 03, 2008 12:27 am

It may be Star Gate Restaurant. Located in Communicore East.
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage