50's Prime Time Cafe - good for little ones?

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

Cazza and Livvie's Mum
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

50's Prime Time Cafe - good for little ones?

Post by Cazza and Livvie's Mum » May Wed 28, 2008 5:29 am

We are travelling to the World again in December and are looking for fun places to eat in each park. We've heard the 50's Prime Time Cafe is great fun when the servers react to non eaten veggies and elbows on tables. My only niggle about eatin here is my 6 year old daughter who has a good sense of humour, but also takes some things personally (female/age thing who knows?). I've read good and bad reviews about this restaurant and that it can be too much for younger diners. Has anyone eaten here and the servers laid off the little ones?

nancynohorse
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Post by nancynohorse » May Wed 28, 2008 8:07 am

We've eaten there, and loved it! Of course, my kids were a little older at the time (10 and 14) so they understood it was all a game.

Maybe if you tell her, before you go in, that it's all just a game and the server is going to "play" with her about her food, she'll be okay? :roll:
[b]-nancynohorse[/b] :mickey:

QuickGold
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide

Post by QuickGold » May Wed 28, 2008 8:18 am

I think you'll be fine. While the "game" the CMs play in the restaurant is fun, I think they also recognize the "line" where guests are comfortable with. I say go for it. :D
Matt

[b][url=http://www.studioscentral.com]Studios Central[/url]
[url=http://www.wdwtoday.com]WDW Today Podcast[/url]
[url=http://www.towerofterror.org/tower.html]TowerOfTerror.Org[/url][/b]

GhostHost
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by GhostHost » May Wed 28, 2008 8:26 am

I remember this restaurant being pretty much a mad house with lots of screaming kids and noise. With the atmosphere in there I really did not mind though. It's certainly a family friendly place and I would not think twice about taking little ones.
"Like a grand and miraculous spaceship, our planet has sailed through the universe of time, and for a brief moment we have been among it's many passengers." -Spaceship Earth / Epcot

Mission Space 2003 Pioneer Crew

Chernabog
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by Chernabog » May Wed 28, 2008 8:58 am

Go for it! It is a fun, take you back in time environment. The CM's recognize who is going w/the flow and who is not. And like someone said earlier, let your daughter know it is coming and you all should really enjoy it! The food is pretty good to, from what I remember.

abrcrmbegrl20
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by abrcrmbegrl20 » May Wed 28, 2008 11:06 am

I've eaten here once in 2006. It was fun. I wanted to change my order a little bit and get only green beans with my meal. I don't remember what it all came with and the server flipped a lid. But told she would do it if I ate them all. It's fun. There's little TVs all around some at tables, some not. They make a big deal if you don't eat all of your food and ask for dessert same with elbows on the table. I thought it was fun. I think we are going back there when I go in 10 days. But I like Sci-Fi better personally. I think 50's is worth at least a visit. :D

GhostHost
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by GhostHost » May Wed 28, 2008 12:47 pm

abrcrmbegrl20 wrote:I've eaten here once in 2006. It was fun. I wanted to change my order a little bit and get only green beans with my meal. I don't remember what it all came with and the server flipped a lid. But told she would do it if I ate them all. It's fun. There's little TVs all around some at tables, some not. They make a big deal if you don't eat all of your food and ask for dessert same with elbows on the table. I thought it was fun. I think we are going back there when I go in 10 days. But I like Sci-Fi better personally. I think 50's is worth at least a visit. :D
Sci-Fi is my favorite at the Studios! :wink: :wink:
"Like a grand and miraculous spaceship, our planet has sailed through the universe of time, and for a brief moment we have been among it's many passengers." -Spaceship Earth / Epcot

Cazza and Livvie's Mum

Post by Cazza and Livvie's Mum » May Wed 28, 2008 1:22 pm

Thanks for the tips/advice it's been helpful. In the past we have usually done character dining or quick service (easier with little people who have no patience!!!). We also plan on the Sci-Fi too, it looks really cool!

GhostHost
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by GhostHost » May Wed 28, 2008 1:50 pm

Cazza and Livvie's Mum wrote:Thanks for the tips/advice it's been helpful. In the past we have usually done character dining or quick service (easier with little people who have no patience!!!). We also plan on the Sci-Fi too, it looks really cool!
I love the Sci-Fi!!! We do this place every trip!

abrcrmbegrl20

Post by abrcrmbegrl20 » May Wed 28, 2008 2:25 pm

I feel bad this is turning into a Sci-Fi thing but I do think it is better than the 50's Prime Time. But I think you should at least try it and get the experience. One of my distant cousins is in the movies they play at Sci-Fi. She's Hazel Court and she's in Devil Girl From Mars. haha. She my Grandpa's cousin.

GhostHost
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by GhostHost » May Wed 28, 2008 2:29 pm

abrcrmbegrl20 wrote:I feel bad this is turning into a Sci-Fi thing but I do think it is better than the 50's Prime Time. But I think you should at least try it and get the experience. One of my distant cousins is in the movies they play at Sci-Fi. She's Hazel Court and she's in Devil Girl From Mars. haha. She my Grandpa's cousin.
Sweet! I love those cheesy B movies! I wish I could find a copy of the entire movie reel they play at the Sci-Fi but have had no luck.

I apologize as well for taking the thread off topic. I have nothing against 50's Prime Time and have only been once so it's probably worth checking out a second time.

Mupsy90
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Post by Mupsy90 » May Wed 28, 2008 5:34 pm

i ate there once and I hated it. I think i was 13 or 14 at the time and our waiter tried to feed me -_- which i did not enjoy. Don't go here If your daughter doesn't like being teased and gets embarrassed easily, but if not I'd say give it a try.

horizons1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by horizons1 » May Wed 28, 2008 7:06 pm

I think a six year old can handle it - you should have a fun time!
No one's gloomy or complaining while the flatware's entertaining.

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » May Wed 28, 2008 10:28 pm

I think you'd be o.k. at Prime Time but I think if you have little kids they'd enjoy Sci-Fi a little more. It's fantastic!!!

Cool picture GhostHost!!!

keneka

Post by keneka » May Sat 31, 2008 1:08 am

I think it all depends on what kind of server you get, saying that they can generally tell what their guests want and won't make you do all the silly things if they can tell you honestly don't want to. I think I agree with most of the other posts though that Sci-Fi diner is a much better and fun choice for a 6 year old!