Discount codes?? How do they work?

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

sparkyjmg
Alice in Wonderland Wonderer
Alice in Wonderland Wonderer

Discount codes?? How do they work?

Post by sparkyjmg » May Mon 26, 2008 6:16 pm

I was just wondering how some people can get a better rate than others.... I know of someone going to the same hotel, same dates, no Ap rate or anything like that and they are getting a 179 per night rate for the WL. I got a AAA discount, but its still 55.00 more per night. Does anyone know where or why people get these codes and why they are offered to some but not others? We have been to DW 9 times.....
Thanks in advance!

TLCMMM
Omnibus Driver
Omnibus Driver

Post by TLCMMM » May Mon 26, 2008 7:31 pm

Usually the only way they get a better rate without any kind of discount is usually the view. At the Wilderness Lodge a standard view is cheaper than a Woods view. Other than that Disney has been sending out post cards with a discount of 20% or sometimes 40%. I had a client who had never been to Walt Disney World before booked a trip and got a 40% off post card in the mail. I only got a post card for 20% off and I go every year, so they are pretty random. If you have not already signed up for everything you can think of Disney that might be a great place to start. I hope I was some help!!! :D
Chris Matthews 1-888-277-3380
Travel Consultant with MouseEarVacations.com
and CruisingCo.com

SWHorn
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

Post by SWHorn » May Mon 26, 2008 7:33 pm

Are you and your friend booking for the same time frames?
No fear hath ye of evil curses, says you.
Arrrrrr.
Properly warned ye be, says I.

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » May Tue 27, 2008 10:38 am

How in the world are people getting these post cards?! It's so frustrating to me! I have a friend that got one and hasn't been in years! Whereas my husband have gone numerous times (3 last year) and we're dying to get one of those post cards, and NOTHING! It's so upsetting! :(

annag
Casey Junior Circus Train Conductor
Casey Junior Circus Train Conductor

Post by annag » May Tue 27, 2008 10:58 am

ditto boilerbabe!! let me in on that postcard business!! :mickey:

bbowen13
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by bbowen13 » May Tue 27, 2008 11:20 am

40% off?!?! Man, sign me up! I have not heard of these postcards so if anyone knows how to sign up please share.

Chernabog
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by Chernabog » May Wed 28, 2008 9:03 am

The post cards are random and I remember getting them when I was not going to WDW as much. When you go somewhat regularly, they seem to go away. At least that is the impression I get. I believe you can find some of these codes online too. I do not remember the site but I am sure someone out there does.

GhostHost
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by GhostHost » May Wed 28, 2008 9:16 am

I never had much luck trying to plan a Disney vacation around discounts. I usually just find the best overall deal I can and forget about it. It would be nice to actually feel like I got a deal one of these days. You would think that those of us that visit almost yearly or more often even would get some kind of break. Guess not!
"Like a grand and miraculous spaceship, our planet has sailed through the universe of time, and for a brief moment we have been among it's many passengers." -Spaceship Earth / Epcot

Mission Space 2003 Pioneer Crew

DisBeamer
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by DisBeamer » May Thu 29, 2008 5:03 am

One way to (sometimes) get on the postcard bandwagon is to be picked to do a survey at the parks. There's usually survey people hovering around the exit and, at least sometimes, if you kinda make eye contact with them instead of completely blowing past them, they'll ask you if you want to be surveyed. We've gotten postcards and email rates a couple of times after doing that.

Another place to look, though, is a site like mousesavers. They'll post the postcard/discount rate codes, then when you call CRO to make your reservation, you ask if "Code (whatever) is available" and the cast member can look it up. I've done that, too. So really, you don't have to get a postcard to use a postcard rate.
~ Caroline

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v480/atoning_unifex/Caroline%20Gaia/tta.gif[/img]

AKLRULZ
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by AKLRULZ » May Thu 29, 2008 5:56 am

Most of the post cards do have PINs that you have to provide, actually, in order to obtain the rate. The codes listed on Mousesavers are typically going to be general codes available to the public and not as deep of a discount as a post card rate, which do appear to be very random. I've been to WDW over 30 times in my life and we've never received a post card rate.

Here's my best tip - align with a travel agent that you feel you can trust and have them code watch the trip - if a code comes out a reputable agent is always going to automatically rebook your trip the instant that code is dropped. You won't have to be surfing the net for that code. Some agencies (including AAA) might tell you this isn't possible - they're trying to maximize their commission and not your savings.

Good luck! 8-)
Steve Baker ~ Travel Consultant :mickey3:
Steve.Baker@themagicforless.com
Affiliated with The Magic for Less
www.themagicforless.com

[url=http://ubanimator.com][img]http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/4199/userbar517512ps8.gif[/img][/url]

rdeacon
Santa Fe & Disneyland Railroad Engineer
Santa Fe & Disneyland Railroad Engineer

Post by rdeacon » May Thu 29, 2008 8:27 am

They do offer discounts if you book a room while you are currently on a WDW vacation. The discount for "re-upping" is quite large. I just did that when I was there in May for my Oct trip. I saved quite a bit, even more then I would have if I used my AP discount. I think the discount was about 40%

Rich
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible.."
Walt Disney

[img]http://www.rdeacon.com/img/banners/bar/SR_admin_adv.jpg[/img]
[img]http://rdeacon.com/img/banners/bar/SR_monkey_adv.jpg[/img]

GhostHost
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by GhostHost » May Thu 29, 2008 8:36 am

rdeacon wrote:They do offer discounts if you book a room while you are currently on a WDW vacation. The discount for "re-upping" is quite large. I just did that when I was there in May for my Oct trip. I saved quite a bit, even more then I would have if I used my AP discount. I think the discount was about 40%

Rich
Holy crap Batman! This is good information. Wish I had known about this when I visited in February.
"Like a grand and miraculous spaceship, our planet has sailed through the universe of time, and for a brief moment we have been among it's many passengers." -Spaceship Earth / Epcot

Mission Space 2003 Pioneer Crew

DisBeamer
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by DisBeamer » May Thu 29, 2008 5:20 pm

AKLRULZ wrote:Most of the post cards do have PINs that you have to provide, actually, in order to obtain the rate. The codes listed on Mousesavers are typically going to be general codes available to the public and not as deep of a discount as a post card rate, which do appear to be very random. I've been to WDW over 30 times in my life and we've never received a post card rate.
Really? The postcards I got never did. I've had two over the years, and one 'email postcard' rate - though that one may have had a PIN; we actually found out about that rate by calling to book and the CRO agent looking at our account. Kinda cool (and definitely lower than the public code rate that was on at the time - that's a good point). I haven't had a physical postcard in about 7 years, though, so maybe that's changed. Good to know. :)
~ Caroline

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v480/atoning_unifex/Caroline%20Gaia/tta.gif[/img]

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » May Thu 29, 2008 8:39 pm

The last time we were in Disney (last Oct.) we were asked to do a survey when exiting EPCOT and we've still never gotten the discount post card. I have heard about making reservations for your next trip and saving $, but that's difficult sometimes when you don't know exact dates in advance. Does everyone have the Disney Visa card?! I do get e-mailed discounts from them periodicaly.

Still waiting for that postcard though!!!! :evil:

abrcrmbegrl20

Post by abrcrmbegrl20 » May Thu 29, 2008 10:06 pm

We have the Disney Visa Card. We just recently foudn out how many points we have because we are going to Disney World in a week. We've had these cards for about 4 years and we do use them and we only have 89 points. Whether that's a high number or not I'm not sure. But we are going to try to use them when we go.