No Fox News Channel @ WDW

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

ericpabear
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

No Fox News Channel @ WDW

Post by ericpabear » Feb Tue 26, 2008 9:52 pm

I was at Fantasmic, when my son, who lives in Texas called. He wanted to know if I was staying informed of world events while on vacation. I told him I just watched the local stations in the morning for the weather report, then head out the door to the parks. He informed me Mitt Romney had just called it quits. That night, wanting to make sure he had his facts straight, I looked for Fox News. They have a Fox channel, that is a local station, but it is not the FOX NEWS station. They have MSN, CNN, MSNBC but no FOX NEWS !!!!! I was so certain that I must have over looked the station, I had my wife and daughter try to find it. No Fox News. Every day while in the room, I would flip stations looking for it, not believeing my beloved WDW would do this. They cater to all walks of life but not mine. It still upsets me.

DIAC1987
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by DIAC1987 » Feb Wed 27, 2008 1:10 am

Its Fox News...you aren't missing much

:P

acp
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide
Location: Formerly Disney-MGM Studios, now Cheshire, England.

Re: No Fox News Channel @ WDW

Post by acp » Feb Wed 27, 2008 5:11 am

ericpabear wrote:wanting to make sure he had his facts straight
I looked for Fox News.
Aren't those a contradiction of each other? I don't watch Fox News (we do get it on Sky over here in the UK), but from what I've heard/seen of it and if their website is anything to go by, you're better off not being able to see it :P

Andy. Earthquake free since.. 1am this morning..
Subsonic Radio Admin and former Walt Disney World Cast Member

Subsonic Radio Player for Windows (Latest version: 1.8.5 - More info)

Disneyland Paris: 2001, 2004, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
Walt Disney World: 2006, 2010, 2011, 2015, 2019
Tokyo Disney Resort: 2013, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018
Hong Kong Disneyland: 2016, 2017
Shanghai Disneyland: 2018

lebeau
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by lebeau » Feb Wed 27, 2008 8:08 am

1. Fox News is awful. I guess it's okay if you are watching it for entertainment value. But it's not news. And in my opinion, it's not entertaining either.

2. Why would you expect it to be offered at Disney? Aside from the local channels, I think just about every channel offered is a Disney-owned channel (ESPN, Lifetime, ABC Family, Disney Channel, etc.)

3. It's got nothing to do with "walks of life". They carry a pretty minimum selection of channels.

casrin
Columbia Sailing Ship Admiral
Columbia Sailing Ship Admiral

Post by casrin » Feb Wed 27, 2008 8:45 am

They don't want you in the room watching TV. It just makes sense to limit TV options to keep you out of the room... where you can spend money! ;)
-[b]casrin[/b]
[url=http://ubanimator.com][img]http://www-personal.umd.umich.edu/~cparkins/images/userbar/userbar487580pb0.gif[/img][/url]

meticulus9
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Post by meticulus9 » Feb Wed 27, 2008 4:24 pm

anyway if he wanted to make sure the facts were right...im sure cnn and msnbc all covered rommney quitting the race.....besides people go to wdw to forget the outside world and enjoy the parks....not tv

TheCheshireStitch
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by TheCheshireStitch » Feb Wed 27, 2008 9:41 pm

i also like fox news. it is a bummer they don't have it. we always bring our laptops, so we get our news from the net...
DIAC1987 wrote:Its Fox News...you aren't missing much

:P
acp wrote:Aren't those a contradiction of each other? I don't watch Fox News (we do get it on Sky over here in the UK), but from what I've heard/seen of it and if their website is anything to go by, you're better off not being able to see it :P
lebeau wrote:1. Fox News is awful. I guess it's okay if you are watching it for entertainment value. But it's not news. And in my opinion, it's not entertaining either.
anyone dissing fox news...how immature. we're supposed to be open-minded and friendly on the forums...ericpabear wasn't talking about anything offensively political, just that he was upset that the station wasn't available.

to get all opinionated, inflammatory, and just plain rude to a reasonable question is kind of uncalled for, in my opinion.
DVC member SSR, Annual Passholder

Disney pin trading nut!

Hubby and I are Disney fanatics! Visit "the world" 3 times a year. <3

:ccat: :jack: :figment:

ericpabear
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by ericpabear » Feb Wed 27, 2008 9:59 pm

[quote="TheCheshireStitch"]i also like fox news. it is a bummer they don't have it. we always bring our laptops, so we get our news from the net...

Thanks for the back-up. I was wondering if I was posting on the wrong forum.

DIAC1987
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by DIAC1987 » Feb Wed 27, 2008 10:02 pm

"anyone dissing fox news...how immature. we're supposed to be open-minded and friendly on the forums...ericpabear wasn't talking about anything offensively political, just that he was upset that the station wasn't available."

In my case, it was just a little political humor. Sorry if my statement offends you, but Fox News isn't exactly high and mighty on the reputation scale.....

TheCheshireStitch

Post by TheCheshireStitch » Feb Wed 27, 2008 10:04 pm

ericpabear--well, this isn't a political forum...but i don't think your mentioning a channel makes it political.

if someone had posted a news station that i find not to be news, but biased fluff (i'm not going to name any channel because i'm not going to stoop to their level) i would have either voiced that i guess they don't want to have too many channels, or whatever, and been on my way. it's a shame some people feel the need to get fresh like that, especially on a forum where i believe i saw some threads from admins saying we all have to be polite here. obviously you do like fox news, you weren't being political, and this is your thread, so their remarks weren't very respectful...

oh, and
DIAC1987 wrote: Sorry if my statement offends you, but Fox News isn't exactly high and mighty on the reputation scale.....
you just did it again.

Disney pin trading nut!

flyingcowofdoom
Main Street Horse Car Coachman

Post by flyingcowofdoom » Feb Wed 27, 2008 10:07 pm

lebeau wrote:2. Why would you expect it to be offered at Disney? Aside from the local channels, I think just about every channel offered is a Disney-owned channel (ESPN, Lifetime, ABC Family, Disney Channel, etc.)
I believe CNN is owned by Turner (not Disney) and MSNBC is jointly owned by NBC and Microsoft (also not Disney).

--FCOD

DIAC1987
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by DIAC1987 » Feb Wed 27, 2008 10:14 pm

"you just did it again."

Yea..I couldn't resist. My bad.

Maybe the lack of Fox News in the resort is because Fox networks take a lot of shots at Disney (Family Guy, The Simpsons (especially), Fox News Channel itself....)

flyingcowofdoom

Post by flyingcowofdoom » Feb Wed 27, 2008 10:25 pm

DIAC1987 wrote:Maybe the lack of Fox News in the resort is because Fox networks take a lot of shots at Disney (Family Guy, The Simpsons (especially), Fox News Channel itself....)
...but they carry the Fox affiliate that plays Family Guy and The Simpsons...

ETA: not to mention that they are creating an American Idol attraction...based on the Fox TV show.

--FCOD

TheCheshireStitch

Post by TheCheshireStitch » Feb Wed 27, 2008 10:42 pm

delray wrote:You say "Democrat" like its a bad thing!
i think he was just trying to figure out why some of the people launching attacks at his preference felt the way they do.

it's a sad thing when people can't be more tolerant of other people's feelings, beliefs, and preferences.

good observations about the other fox stations/american idol, flyingcowofdoom. ericpabear, maybe they will get fox news eventually? in the meantime writing a letter to disney couldn't hurt.

Disney pin trading nut!

DisBeamer
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by DisBeamer » Feb Wed 27, 2008 10:47 pm

flyingcowofdoom wrote:I believe CNN is owned by Turner (not Disney) and MSNBC is jointly owned by NBC and Microsoft (also not Disney).

--FCOD
This is very true; there are also some other not-Disney/ABC stations on the dial there, including the (very cool, imo) Asian and German channels, depending on your hotel.

It may just be they don't have room to fit it in their grouping, or can't strike a deal with FOX News to carry it on property. It may also be offered at different resorts, actually. Not all of the resorts carry the same set of channels. (Toon Disney, for instance, was not carried at all on-property resorts, last I checked - you could get it at CBR but not the Polynesian a few years back. Which I find bizarre, but whatever...)
~ Caroline

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v480/atoning_unifex/Caroline%20Gaia/tta.gif[/img]