The Land: New Background Music

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

Cheshire Cat
Mark Twain Steamboat Captain

The Land: New Background Music

Post by Cheshire Cat » Oct Wed 03, 2007 9:22 pm

Most people know how the old BGM for The Land always had to do with suns and moons, but ever since Soarin' moved in, the theme for the bgm has always been flying. It is now the second place in epcot where one can here the theme from the rocketeer and rescuers down under along with other music from soundtracks having to do with flying. However, on this past visit, I heard the theme song to ET (the theme when they fly the bikes) and I couldn't believe it. Has Disney actually stooped this low to using rival movie company soundtracks? (Remember when Disney used to write their own music :roll: ) Does this bother anyone else as much as it bothers me? Anyway, does anyone know if there is a list of songs somewhere from the land's new bgm loop?

js3901
Matterhorn Bobsleds Climber
Matterhorn Bobsleds Climber

Re: The Land: New Background Music

Post by js3901 » Oct Wed 03, 2007 10:07 pm

Cheshire Cat wrote: However, on this past visit, I heard the theme song to ET (the theme when they fly the bikes) and I couldn't believe it. Has Disney actually stooped this low to using rival movie company soundtracks? (Remember when Disney used to write their own music :roll: )
it's not the first time they've done that. There's a BGM loop from the Great Movie Ride area of MGM that has clips from Harry Potter, Superman, and the Mission: Impossible theme. and not one of those movies are Disney or MGM owned (M:I is CBS/Paramount, HP and Superman are WB). They've also "borrowed" classical music that's been around for a couple hundred years in some attractions throughout WDW. doesn;t bother me too much...
Cheshire Cat wrote:Anyway, does anyone know if there is a list of songs somewhere from the land's new bgm loop?
I usually take a look at Disney Music Loops for the different music in the BGM tracks. Fairly accurate, but they haven't updated in 2 years now, so the NEWer loop for The Land is not listed, and I haven;t found anything else out there so far. sorry...
"And please do not sit on the floor. My studies show you can't experience time travel on the floor. and it's not a pretty picture in those shorts" - The Timekeeper

Site Admin, WDW Freak

tmptnr
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by tmptnr » Oct Thu 04, 2007 1:16 am

Personally I like it when composers write new stuff for disney. The music loops are normally relaxing and easy listeners. I dont mind them using stuff from other companies but origional music is always better...

GhostHost
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by GhostHost » Oct Thu 04, 2007 7:38 am

As long as we don't start hearing Universal Studios park atmosphere tracks I think we will be okay.
:mickey:
"Like a grand and miraculous spaceship, our planet has sailed through the universe of time, and for a brief moment we have been among it's many passengers." -Spaceship Earth / Epcot

Mission Space 2003 Pioneer Crew

Calypso
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Post by Calypso » Oct Thu 04, 2007 8:07 am

Maybe when they update Soarin' (assuming they are still talking about a new movie), they will update the entire area, including BGM.

GhostHost
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by GhostHost » Oct Thu 04, 2007 8:21 am

Calypso wrote:Maybe when they update Soarin' (assuming they are still talking about a new movie), they will update the entire area, including BGM.
A new movie already?
"Like a grand and miraculous spaceship, our planet has sailed through the universe of time, and for a brief moment we have been among it's many passengers." -Spaceship Earth / Epcot

Mission Space 2003 Pioneer Crew

Cheshire Cat

Post by Cheshire Cat » Oct Fri 05, 2007 2:04 pm

I realized that Disney has used other music before, but if a first time visitor walks into the Land and hears ET playing, they're not autimatically going to assume, "hey this is from ET, I bet all the music in hear is about flying (or soarin')". That's what was great about the old loop. Hearing an individual song made sense in the area it was being played and the fact that all the songs were themed around something was just a bonus for people that stayed in the pavilion long enough. Now, you don't really understand the bmg loop UNLESS you hear a few songs.

Or maybe I'm njust putting too much thought into it because I really didn't like hearing ET in The Land... I just never would have put thought of putting two things together. I also really don't like the new "airport" theme of the entire pavilion (living with the Land seems so out of place now), but that's another story.

Esmeralda
Flight to the Moon Flight Director
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Post by Esmeralda » Oct Sat 06, 2007 3:23 pm

I'm not too bothered by the fact that ET is there (John Williams wrote fantastic flying music, no matter what company it was for), but I agree with the others that I really miss the old theme. Flying doesn't seem to be living with the land to me. Soarin' helps us explore the land, but there's so much more to the pavilion than just flying.
::steps off soapbox::

Off topic: Love the new Halloween Chesire Cat look!
Drop another coin in slot and I will tell you more.

Blackie Pueblo
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

Post by Blackie Pueblo » Oct Sun 07, 2007 1:39 pm

Count me as one of those that are shocked to hear this. I too thought that was an amazing aspect of Disney that they always had their own music. I suppose it's cheaper to just "sample" music instead of paying someone to come up with, write, and then pay an orchestra to perform it. But still... using music from other parks makes Disney endangered of being just another park.

Granted they are still far off, but you know what I'm getting at.

"Music has always had a prominent part in all our products, from the early cartoon days."
---Walter Elias Disney

yodiwan1
Storybookland Canal Boats Mate
Storybookland Canal Boats Mate

Post by yodiwan1 » Oct Wed 10, 2007 12:28 am

i just requsted something from condor flats at california adventure....the theme to the last starfighter!! There is no way that is a disney movie...i knwo it is in disneyland and not WDW, but while we have been discussing the whole "non disney movie" music I figured i would mention that.
"hold on to them hats and glasses, cause this here's the wildest ride in the wilderness!!"

Cheshire Cat

Post by Cheshire Cat » Oct Wed 10, 2007 2:50 pm

I don't mind Disney using other soundtracks, I guess I'm just being nit-picky and wondering why Disney uses soundtracks from movies that Universal has rides for. I first heard the ET theme in the land after coming from Universal and riding ET. (We spent the morning at universal but had dinner reservations at France, so we figured we'd ride Soarin' first) It was just weird, like the music was following me around Florida. It's like riding Jurassic Park and then coming back to Disney to ride Universe of Energy and hearing the Jurassic Park theme in the preshow.

Also...
I just watched the rededication for epcot. I'm really shocked that disney used the old land logo during the speech. It was strange seing it among all the new "logos". I have mixed feelings about that. I guess it just comes with the territory seeing as the land straddles the time difference more than any other pavilion. It has an opening day ride alongside one of the newsest rides; it resembles and rejects its opeing day appearence at the same time.

nancynohorse

Post by nancynohorse » Oct Thu 11, 2007 12:17 pm

I suppose it would be just as weird to hear Disney area music playing at Universal, you know? :roll: They should stay with their own sounds, or even bring back the older "Listen to the Land" music if they need something to fill the time up.
[b]-nancynohorse[/b] :mickey:

Cheshire Cat

Post by Cheshire Cat » Oct Thu 11, 2007 7:59 pm

I suppose it would be just as weird to hear Disney area music playing at Universal, you know?
If you ever hear Disney music in IOA, that might just be me playing the Mickey Mouse Club March on the piano in Popeye's ship. Until, of course, an IOA employee comes over and shows me how to "correctly" play the piano (as in, using the color-coded keys to play "Popeye the Sailorman"). This has happened more than once. :lol:

casrin
Columbia Sailing Ship Admiral
Columbia Sailing Ship Admiral

Post by casrin » Oct Thu 11, 2007 9:11 pm

That's funny!
-[b]casrin[/b]
[url=http://ubanimator.com][img]http://www-personal.umd.umich.edu/~cparkins/images/userbar/userbar487580pb0.gif[/img][/url]

DisBeamer
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by DisBeamer » Oct Thu 11, 2007 10:09 pm

Cheshire Cat wrote:If you ever hear Disney music in IOA, that might just be me playing the Mickey Mouse Club March on the piano in Popeye's ship. Until, of course, an IOA employee comes over and shows me how to "correctly" play the piano (as in, using the color-coded keys to play "Popeye the Sailorman"). This has happened more than once. :lol:
*giggle* That's awesome. :lol: