Your an Imagineer in charge of adding a New Country to Epcot

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

ronatie
Casey Junior Circus Train Conductor

Post by ronatie » Jul Wed 15, 2009 10:35 am

cousininmiami- I agree that several carribean countries would be great. They probably wouldn't do Haiti though.

Disbeamer- I'm probably giving them too much credit but I would guess they lumped equatorial africa together because there are many tribal and national groups in equatorial africa that don't fit neatly within the borders of one country.

OR it could just be that American tourists have a general stereotyped idea about Africa- Safari's and Tarzan etc. and they wanted to have a theme that reflected what Americans think Africa is like.

momeja
Rocket Jets Flight Director
Rocket Jets Flight Director

Post by momeja » Jul Wed 15, 2009 1:12 pm

ronatie wrote: OR it could just be that American tourists have a general stereotyped idea about Africa- Safari's and Tarzan etc. and they wanted to have a theme that reflected what Americans think Africa is like.
Speaking of that stereotype, didn't a recent president (or presidential candidate) mention not knowing any African?

PureDisney
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer

Post by PureDisney » Jul Wed 15, 2009 5:45 pm

I think it should be Greece. Build a building that looks like the acropolis. Gyros! It could even have a hercules ride! :mickey:

ronatie

Post by ronatie » Jul Fri 17, 2009 7:40 pm

PureDisney- I totally agree. Greece would be great. Would you do specifically ancient Greece or have a mix of ancient and modern Greece?

On another note, I have a question for those of you who've traveled:

Whenever I'd go to the Italy pavilion, a relative of mine who'd lived in Italy and had eaten at the real Alfredo's always said the Disney version was better than the real thing.

Has anyone else had a similar experience in one of the real countries?

Clusty
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by Clusty » Jul Sat 18, 2009 12:19 am

Greece sounds really cool. That'd be very interesting.

coasterfiend
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by coasterfiend » Jul Sat 18, 2009 11:40 am

I vote for an Australia & New Zealand combination. Throw in a few South Pacific islands as well.

cousininmiami
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide

Post by cousininmiami » Jul Mon 20, 2009 1:12 pm

I love the Greece idea. Wow, I can just taste that Gyro now!!
°o° "...it's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of every day" °o°

disneylizzy
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by disneylizzy » Aug Sun 23, 2009 11:00 am

Greece would be fantastic.

They could have a counterservice restaurant that serves gyros, spanikopita, greek salad, baklava and loukomades (greek honey puffs) There are many people of Greek heritage in the states so it would be easy to get the right recipes!

The architecture would have some classical Greek elements (like the Parthenon) but would also have the whitewashed houses from the Greek Isles.

The shops would sell greek olive oil, linens, traditional clothing, food products, wine and olive oil beauty products.

For a ride, it could be a ride themed on the mythology of ancient Greece...could also include some characters from the Hercules movie. They could also have the traditional Greek dancing as a street performance.

It would be located in the "africa" type area.

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Sep Sun 06, 2009 6:30 pm

South America is overdue. If not an individual country, maybe all of them in one? Maybe with a film showing things Buenos Aires, Brazil, Macchu Pichu, etc. Africa is already covered in Animal Kingdom. So can Artic or Antartica (polar bears, penguins, and animals like that). Asia is already covered in Epcot with Japan and China, but I would vote for India over Thailand.

kcookiebaker
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Post by kcookiebaker » Sep Mon 07, 2009 5:48 am

This isn't easy for me...Australia would be a great addition, but so would Kenya and Tanzania. I think I'll go Australia since we do get a tiny taste of Africa in AK...and there is no real representation of Australia. Good food, Hugh Jackman...yes, Australia.