Disney Miniature Golf

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

Cheshire Cat
Mark Twain Steamboat Captain

Disney Miniature Golf

Post by Cheshire Cat » Jul Thu 26, 2007 2:09 pm

My family is planning on trying one of the mini golf courses when we go down this year. I've seen pictures and they both seem to have very different styles. So... which one do people think is more fun? Fantasia Gardens or Winter Summerland?

edit - oops, I meant to put this in the WDW forum :oops:

spaulo
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by spaulo » Jul Thu 26, 2007 3:09 pm

Moved it for you :)

on topic... I actually haven't tried either of those courses, so I can't help... sorry!
~Steve

slotofkit
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Post by slotofkit » Jul Thu 26, 2007 4:04 pm

I've played Fantasia Gardens before. I remember it being a bit more challenging than a normal mini-golf course. It was still fun, though. That's all I can really tell you because I haven't tried the Winter Summerland one.
--------------------------------------------
"It's a tribute to all nations but mostly America"
-Sam the Eagle
Muppet Vision 3D

disneydreamer58
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by disneydreamer58 » Jul Thu 26, 2007 4:15 pm

I haven't played Mini golf in like 4ever. I will have to look online at the 2 you speak of cause I have never seen them. I bet they are awesome!! I can see a mickey mouse head instead of a windmill but you have to shoot the golf ball inbetween his ears....ha ha ha
"A Very Merry Un-Birthday To You!"

MouseMan
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by MouseMan » Jul Thu 26, 2007 4:56 pm

I haven't played mini-golf at WDW either, but I'm intereted reading some reviews of the courses.

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: Disney Miniature Golf

Post by Jacca5660 » Jul Thu 26, 2007 5:31 pm

Cheshire Cat wrote:My family is planning on trying one of the mini golf courses when we go down this year. I've seen pictures and they both seem to have very different styles. So... which one do people think is more fun? Fantasia Gardens or Winter Summerland?

edit - oops, I meant to put this in the WDW forum :oops:
I've played both. I like Winter Summerland best. I just don't know why.
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

DisBeamer
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by DisBeamer » Jul Thu 26, 2007 7:31 pm

It's funny how we seem to have played one or the other but so far no one's done both.

I've played Fantasia Gardens and remember it being a lot of fun but to echo slotofkit, it was harder than your average minigolf (imo). I mean, granted we were playing the 'hard' side but there was one hole that I think I took 12 shots on. I fail at golf. It's still worth doing though - we had a great time.

One thing I would caution about Fantasia Gardens - we walked to it from Epcot. Actually we came into the front of Epcot, walked through, out the International Gateway, along the path to the Swolphin, and then out across the street there to get to it. There are paths the whole way, so it wasn't dangerous or anything, but it was oh-so-humid September and it was HOT. By the time we got there, diving into the Hippos water hazard was a very attractive prospect. So my main advice would be if it's hot out, find another way to get there (or start your death march from the Swolphin complex rather than from the Epcot bustop), because it's further than it looks. :lol:

slotofkit

Post by slotofkit » Jul Thu 26, 2007 7:33 pm

DisBeamer wrote:One thing I would caution about Fantasia Gardens - we walked to it from Epcot. Actually we came into the front of Epcot, walked through, out the International Gateway, along the path to the Swolphin, and then out across the street there to get to it. There are paths the whole way, so it wasn't dangerous or anything, but it was oh-so-humid September and it was HOT. By the time we got there, diving into the Hippos water hazard was a very attractive prospect. So my main advice would be if it's hot out, find another way to get there (or start your death march from the Swolphin complex rather than from the Epcot bustop), because it's further than it looks. :lol:
We did the same thing: walk from Swan and Dolphin, and it is very hot! I had a headache by the end of playing the course, but it's still fun.
--------------------------------------------
"It's a tribute to all nations but mostly America"
-Sam the Eagle
Muppet Vision 3D

Cheshire Cat

Post by Cheshire Cat » Jul Thu 26, 2007 8:49 pm

I mean, granted we were playing the 'hard' side

So there's two courses at this one? How many holes are on each side?
One thing I would caution about Fantasia Gardens - we walked to it from Epcot. Actually we came into the front of Epcot, walked through, out the International Gateway, along the path to the Swolphin, and then out across the street there to get to it. There are paths the whole way, so it wasn't dangerous or anything, but it was oh-so-humid September and it was HOT. By the time we got there, diving into the Hippos water hazard was a very attractive prospect. So my main advice would be if it's hot out, find another way to get there (or start your death march from the Swolphin complex rather than from the Epcot bustop), because it's further than it looks.
We're staying at the Yacht Club, and if this one wins the "Tournament of Disney Mini Golf Courses" do you think would it be advisable to walk from there?

DisBeamer
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by DisBeamer » Jul Thu 26, 2007 9:57 pm

Allears has a good run down of it here. I honestly can't remember if it was 18 holes on the hard side and just a few on the easy, or 18 total. I'm pretty sure (90%) it was 18 total and we played both sides, but it was a few years ago now. If it says it clearly in the allears article, I'm not seeing it. I do remember the attendant saying we could play either side, or do one then the other, or whatever we wanted. I don't know if that's standard practice or just because it was quiet that night.

I would think you'd be fine walking from the Yacht Club, especially if you take a moment or two to chill out (literally) in the a/c in the Swan or Dolphin. Technically we were fine walking all the way through Epcot; it's just not something I'd care to repeat in the summer. :mrgreen:

FlatlandMounty
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by FlatlandMounty » Jul Thu 26, 2007 11:03 pm

Just be careful if you want to do the Fairways at Fantasia Gardens. They've actually warned people that play full golf courses not to play it because it throws off your game. Its a lot of fun if you don't mind getting a lot of 6's along the way. Fairways is more of a competition against the course than each other.

jiminycricket
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by jiminycricket » Jul Thu 26, 2007 11:20 pm

We have a tradition of playing at Fantasia Gardens when we are down but have thought of trying Winter Summerland this year. It is nice to hear what people are saying. Maybe that will help us to make up our minds. We do really enjoy Fantasia Gardens but don't have the other to compare it to so I can't say which is better.

rdeacon
Santa Fe & Disneyland Railroad Engineer
Santa Fe & Disneyland Railroad Engineer

Post by rdeacon » Jul Fri 27, 2007 8:47 am

I played Winter Summerland a few years back. It was fun. I haven't gotten over to play Fantasia Gardens. Maybe next trip :)

Rich
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible.."
Walt Disney

[img]http://www.rdeacon.com/img/banners/bar/SR_admin_adv.jpg[/img]
[img]http://rdeacon.com/img/banners/bar/SR_monkey_adv.jpg[/img]

CDAbleson
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by CDAbleson » Jul Fri 27, 2007 9:26 am

The point about FG being HOT are so true.....I have played it a number of times, and you seem to have very little relief from the heat.....Challenging course though......

Joe90
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

Post by Joe90 » Jul Sat 28, 2007 4:40 am

The two courses at Fantasia gardens are both pretty good. One is a miniature golf course (no sand traps) with undulating topography and randomly placed rocks as the main hazards. It is difficult and less involving for the younger Disney visitor. The second course has a Fantasia theme and is a selection of contrived concrete and metal hazards. It also has some neat tricks to play which may give you an ear full of water or a snippet of music. It is still a little challenging for the younger player, however a general disregard for the rules and score keeping and, regardless of age, it is a pleasant and fun way to pass an hour or so. Hat, shirt and sunscreen are required on hot days as there is virtually no shade on either course.