Soarin'

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

G2-4T
Columbia Sailing Ship Admiral

Soarin'

Post by G2-4T » Dec Sun 12, 2004 11:58 am

So I'm curious if anyone else feels they took the cheap route by copying DCA's Soarin' over CA for the new Soarin' in The Land. I was hoping they would make an all new video for this one. The other one is terrific - but why not use the chance to add another great ride rather than just copy? I know - it is easier, cheaper, etc. but it'd still be neat to have done something new...

rellwood
Alice in Wonderland Wonderer
Alice in Wonderland Wonderer

Post by rellwood » Dec Sun 12, 2004 2:44 pm

I agree. It's disappointing. Granted, I absoultely love Soarin' at California Adventure--I think it's possibly the best attraction in DCA. But it does feel cheap to just copy it like that.

How hard can it be to make a new flying movie? Just rent another helicopter, strap on IMAX camera to it, and fly around! Perhaps they should do a "Soarin' Over Florida" film. True, Florida doesn't have as varied terrain as California, but it is a georgous state nonetheless.

However, the ride-system for Soarin' is so good, that I think they ought to do something more imaginative with it. How about this idea: in Tomorrowland, make a "Soaring Over the Planets" ride where IMAX-sized computer animation is used to simulate what it would look like to soar over each of the 9 planets in the Solar System. This ride would be fantastic!! And, it would help put a little life back into Tomorrowland.

G2-4T

Post by G2-4T » Dec Sun 12, 2004 4:32 pm

Yeah, it is one of the best in DCA. I never thought about it for Tomorrowland, interesting idea. I would have loved to see them add it to one of the countries in World Showcase - Soarin' over Great Britain [or Japan, or Italy, or...]. They even could have done a whole new country back in the old Millenium Village area which is still empty last I heard. Now that would have been neat!

js3901
Matterhorn Bobsleds Climber

Post by js3901 » Dec Mon 13, 2004 12:50 am

I don't think it's cheap to copy a ride from one park to another. Just look at all the Magic Kingdom parks throughout the world... They're all VERY much the same. The same basic rides and attractions are in each. So it's not that bad..

Also, they may do with Soarin' like they're doing with the China circlevision movie, or Canada's as well... They could start off with one movie (like over California), then a year or so down the line, make and show a new area of the country (like Upstate New York, for the terrain)... like most attractions there, Soarin' will most likely be updated after a while. And, it'll be much easier to update than something like CoP or El Rio Del Tiempo boat ride in Mexico...

Plus there are some of us who cannot get to DLR/DCA to see the original Soarin', but we want to... this will be a good chance for us... :)

subsonic
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by subsonic » Dec Mon 13, 2004 1:18 pm

Most people don't visit both parks. So it doesn't matter to Disney if they use the same stuff multiple times. I hate it though when a park gets a mediocre version of another park. IE: Tower of Terror, Winnie the Pooh...
Join our chat in Discord: https://discord.gg/zw5by3z

js3901

Post by js3901 » Dec Tue 14, 2004 3:25 am

subsonic wrote:Most people don't visit both parks. So it doesn't matter to Disney if they use the same stuff multiple times. I hate it though when a park gets a mediocre version of another park. IE: Tower of Terror, Winnie the Pooh...
yeah, if they don't do the exact thing, or change a buch of stuff to save money, it's not worth it. I'd rather wait 5 years for an attraction to be built/renovated/updated than to go into something immediately and be disappointed by the results. takes the magic out of going... :cry:

bartman454
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer

Post by bartman454 » Dec Tue 14, 2004 2:53 pm

I have got to say i like rell's idea of a soarin over the planets ride that would be pretty sweet maybe they could put that in timekeeper's spot, although I wonder if they have the room. Anyhow according to strong rumor apparently the California film will stay where it is until a new film is made for 2007 Epcot's 25th Anniversary, from what I hear it will be Soarin over the USA. Also being tossed around is an update of the finale in Spaceship Earth for 2007.

Jack
"This is a very moving moment"
"Yeah I wish they'd move it to Pittsburgh!"

sockfire
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

how about

Post by sockfire » Dec Tue 14, 2004 3:35 pm

Soarin' meets Star Tours. Soarin tech with a Star Wars theme.

subsonic
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by subsonic » Dec Wed 15, 2004 12:56 pm

When I worked at Star Tours people would ask, "Why haven't you changed the movie?" I would smart-ass respond with: "Because you waited in line".

What this means is, Disney doesn't have to change the movies because guests still wait for the old stuff. There's still so many tourists that haven't seen Star Tours or Soarin' at all.
Join our chat in Discord: https://discord.gg/zw5by3z

pgreger

Re: how about

Post by pgreger » Dec Wed 15, 2004 3:42 pm

sockfire wrote:Soarin' meets Star Tours. Soarin tech with a Star Wars theme.
hmmm... Speeder bikes racing through Endor (feel the forrest wind on your face)? Pod Racing on Tatooine (ah, the desert wind and the lovely smell of bantha poodoo)?

Subsonic's right though. As long as people wait in line why change it? The expense would be emormous!?!?!?!? Maybe after Lucas gets finished with the Star Wars movies he'll pay attention to the Star Tours rides and fund their renovation.

sockfire

star tours

Post by sockfire » Dec Wed 15, 2004 4:26 pm

I thought the whole struggle about a new film was that Disney was trying to get Lucas to foot the whole bill for a new ride movie.

G2-4T

Post by G2-4T » Dec Wed 15, 2004 7:12 pm

If it ain't broke don't fix it - and the way folks flock to Star Tours it holds its own. Now if they just would have figured it out for the rest of Epcot rather than get rid of three classics they'd be much better off...

pgreger

Re: star tours

Post by pgreger » Dec Thu 16, 2004 10:17 pm

sockfire wrote:I thought the whole struggle about a new film was that Disney was trying to get Lucas to foot the whole bill for a new ride movie.
Gee, you'd think there'd be corporate sponser out there somewhere who would want to fund a Star Wars themed attraction... oh wait, that's right... Paul Pressler scared them all away... :cry:

Disneynut
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by Disneynut » Feb Wed 02, 2005 9:49 am

Soarin passholder preview! Take flight before official opening in May. Preview April 15 through April 17 during reg. park hrs. :D

maliboomer

Post by maliboomer » Feb Thu 03, 2005 10:53 pm

If they do it in Tomorrowland hopefully it'll be different then DCAs apart from a different film? A themed boarding area at the least. Could you intergrate corridors into it?