What's the deal at the German Octoberfest restaurant Epcot?

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

aschrade
Horseless Carriage Chauffeur
Horseless Carriage Chauffeur

What's the deal at the German Octoberfest restaurant Epcot?

Post by aschrade » Jun Fri 23, 2006 10:09 am

I love the food there. It's really great. Tons of good sausage, fried veal, egg noodles and gravy, and good desserts. But why WHY do they make me sit down with someone I don't know when I go to eat there. I know the background, they want everybody to sit together like they're in a Biergarten. But I'm not in a Biergarten. I'm in America, and Americans in general like a little bit of personal space in restaurants. We're just not used to sitting elbow to elbow with someone we don't know.

Anyone else feel this way? I love the food but the seating arrangements are just awkward.

Dr. Ravenscroft
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by Dr. Ravenscroft » Jun Fri 23, 2006 12:25 pm

I'm one of those people YOU, in particular, either hate or love. I start up conversations with people and by the end of the meal I either know your life story or I got the cold shoulder. It doesn't phaze me one way or another. I lived in Germany for a while and got used to that type of atmosphere.

[qoute]But I'm not in a Biergarten.[/qoute]

True your in a hall not and outdoor seating area. Disney is just trying to promote authenticity in their resturants. If you don't want to sit next to a family or group that you don't know just tell the host or hostess.

foldmama
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Post by foldmama » Jun Fri 23, 2006 12:27 pm

aschrade: I love the Biergarten in Germany. As you said the food is great. My family, friends etc have all enjoyed the seating arrangement. It usually gives us a chance to meet and talk to people other then each other. Give it a chance, it can be a lot of fun!

I do admit that the people you are seated with you at your table have to be into it also. The last time I was there in May, 2005 the couple next to us wanted nothing to do with anyone else, and that's fine too.

I just look at it as another chance to meet people who love Disney!

js3901
Matterhorn Bobsleds Climber
Matterhorn Bobsleds Climber

Post by js3901 » Jun Fri 23, 2006 12:28 pm

isn't it like this at some other restaurant that's themed like the old west (I think at the wilderness lodge or something)?

I don;t have a problem with it myself. You're in the world showcase while there, not america. the host country of that pavillion has set up everything to be an example of the home country. the scenery/decor, the food/drinks, the shopping, the cast members, and the customs. you're in a biergarten the the germans set up in their pavillion, hence the seating arrangements.
"And please do not sit on the floor. My studies show you can't experience time travel on the floor. and it's not a pretty picture in those shorts" - The Timekeeper

Site Admin, WDW Freak

knedeau
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner

Post by knedeau » Jun Fri 23, 2006 2:03 pm

That restaurant is themed to be like the Hofbrahaus in Munich! Like in Oktoberfest, you are supposed to sit next to total strangers! It's the culture. Drink more beer and you'll enjoy it more! Ja! And if you know how to polka, you can dance on the floor while the oompa band plays! (actually believe it or not, the polka is quite fun!)

My Hubby are planning on going to the REAL thing in Germay for Oct 07. (And we'll be able to see the REAL cinderella castle http://www.guide-to-castles-of-europe.c ... stles.html )

WOOHOO!
"Hey, Look at that guy in the Goofy Mask!" "That's not a mask!" "Oh... Sorry Lady!"

delray
Sleeping Beauty Castle Guard
Sleeping Beauty Castle Guard

Post by delray » Jun Fri 23, 2006 6:55 pm

Yeah, I ate at the Biergarten. My daughter and I got to eat with the fattest family you have ever seen! They were all big eaters, and I mean big eaters! Between shovelfuls, they told us they were from Ohio and the father and two of the sons were all firefighters. I hope they didn't have to rescue anybody in a hurry. My daughter and I had something to talk about for the rest of the night! We both think we are a tad overweight but sitting with this family made us feel like we both had an eating disorder. We were amazed and appalled at the amount of food that disappeared and that was before dessert. Wouldn't have traded this experience for all carbohydrates in Wisconsin!

Regards,
Delray

"Properly warned ye be, says I"

AKLRULZ
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by AKLRULZ » Jun Fri 23, 2006 8:31 pm

Dr. Ravenscroft wrote:I'm one of those people YOU, in particular, either hate or love. I start up conversations with people and by the end of the meal I either know your life story or I got the cold shoulder. It doesn't phaze me one way or another.
That is totally me - I think this is the great appeal of Biergaren to me.
Steve Baker ~ Travel Consultant :mickey3:
Steve.Baker@themagicforless.com
Affiliated with The Magic for Less
www.themagicforless.com

[url=http://ubanimator.com][img]http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/4199/userbar517512ps8.gif[/img][/url]

iloverags2
Casey Junior Circus Train Conductor
Casey Junior Circus Train Conductor

Post by iloverags2 » Jun Fri 23, 2006 8:32 pm

Oh, I love Biergarten! I'm not a big conversation person (because of my hearing - or, I should say, lack of)...but I think it's a totally cool set-up. And my husband is a big fan of it also. Very authentic and very neat way to meet fellow Disney fans!
Cindy

jbvenn

Post by jbvenn » Jun Fri 23, 2006 11:24 pm

Knedeau wrote:My Hubby are planning on going to the REAL thing in Germay for Oct 07. (And we'll be able to see the REAL cinderella castle http://www.guide-to-castles-of-europe.c ... stles.html )

WOOHOO!
Knedeau:

That sound fantastic! My son went to Germany for a month last summer and LOVED it! He stayed with a family in the Munich area for a week. He says Neuschwanstein (aka Cinderella's castle) was awesome and took lots of fantastic pictures. Hope you have a wonderful time! It must be hard to wait.

As for Oktoberfest, what everyone else said about getting a taste of German culture along with the tasty food is true. We go to Oktoberfest every time we're at WDW and it's always a blast. Often the people we share a table with don't really want to interact. It can be awkward when you're waving your beer and singing "Ein Prosit" and the people next to you are just sitting there in rigid silence, but I figure it's their loss. We've met some of the nicest people at WDW, but you have to be willing to meet them halfway.
"Hey, you goldbricks, this ain't a spectator sport! Where do you think you are, Disney World?" -- General Knowledge

[img]http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff191/jbvenn/epcot2.gif[/img]
[img]http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff191/jbvenn/port-orleans-2.gif[/img]

Dr. Ravenscroft

Post by Dr. Ravenscroft » Jun Sat 24, 2006 9:36 am

knedeau wrote:That restaurant is themed to be like the Hofbrahaus in Munich! Like in Oktoberfest, you are supposed to sit next to total strangers! It's the culture. Drink more beer and you'll enjoy it more! Ja! And if you know how to polka, you can dance on the floor while the oompa band plays! (actually believe it or not, the polka is quite fun!)

My Hubby are planning on going to the REAL thing in Germay for Oct 07. (And we'll be able to see the REAL cinderella castle http://www.guide-to-castles-of-europe.c ... stles.html )

WOOHOO!
You know I first saw Neuschwanstein in books about Ludwig when I was in grade school. I loved it then and I love it now, I guess that is why I travel to WDW so much. Neuschwanstein was built by King Ludwig to be a real version of Camelot, where he pretended to be on a quest for the Holy Grail. He also built two other castles one was Herrenchiemsee, his own personal Versailles in which he pretended to be the sun king. The other was Linerhof which was an Arabian style Castle that he could play as the Pasha. I have a book somewhere in this darn house that has some Amazing pictures of the castle with snow on it and in the surrounding mountain sides, georgous. Maybe that is why I loved the pictures of TDL in the snow.

karenj2
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by karenj2 » Jun Thu 29, 2006 12:13 pm

That restaurant is themed to be like the Hofbrahaus in Munich! Like in Oktoberfest, you are supposed to sit next to total strangers! It's the culture. Drink more beer and you'll enjoy it more! Ja! And if you know how to polka, you can dance on the floor while the oompa band plays! (actually believe it or not, the polka is quite fun!)

We went both to the hoffbrahaus AND caslte Neuschwanstein (?)! Loved every minute of our stay there! (We also went to Berlin, and stayed with my sister in Heidelberg.) I loved the atmosphere of the beirgarten, even though I don't like beer... They had the oompa bands and everything. :)

The castle IS breathtaking, both inside and out.

When we go to WDW in August 2007, I'll have to plan a dinner in Germany with my sister (who's back in the States now).
Karenj2

bribren
Swiss Family Treehouse Guide
Swiss Family Treehouse Guide

Post by bribren » Jun Thu 29, 2006 3:01 pm

I landed at a table with some fine folks both times I ate there.

One time, we talked quite a bit with a southern Christian couple who eventually started discussing the benifits of prayer and worship.

Worship says I, I worship every day, usually many times.
Really? She says...
Sure, I warsh up before dinner, and I warsh up before bed..

One of my favorite puns ever, but my wife groans avery time I use it...

disneydreamer58
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by disneydreamer58 » Jun Thu 29, 2006 3:02 pm

bribren having lived in Oklahoma for 23 yrs I found that quite funny :D
"A Very Merry Un-Birthday To You!"

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Jul Mon 10, 2006 7:16 pm

Dr. Ravenscroft wrote:
I'm one of those people YOU, in particular, either hate or love. I start up conversations with people and by the end of the meal I either know your life story or I got the cold shoulder. It doesn't phaze me one way or another.

That is totally me - I think this is the great appeal of Biergaren to me.
Count me in on the I'll talk to any and everyone!! One of My DS said "Mommy you and Daddy are the friendliest people in Disney World. You guys will talk to everyone."
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

karenj2

Post by karenj2 » Jul Tue 11, 2006 11:07 am

Count me in on the I'll talk to any and everyone!!
Me too! I'm great at starting up a conversation with just about anyone, but I cannot STAND talking in front of a group at all. :( DH is the exact opposite, and has talked to 300-400 people at a conference, but hates the one-on-one talking.

Go figure.
Karenj2