Ever been to WDW in a hurricane?

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

Nz58cl
Motor Boat Cruise Skipper
Motor Boat Cruise Skipper

Re: Ever been to WDW in a hurricane?

Post by Nz58cl » Oct Fri 08, 2010 7:56 pm

My nephew and I were down in 2005 and went to Epcot one day. The entire trip had been rainy so we didn't really pay any attention, we were just really happy to walk on to all the rides and attractions. We noticed the castmembers looking out the windows at us as we walked around but really we were acting a bit silly so it wasn't until later that we realized how bad the weather had been. :lol: :goofy:

kcarts
Flight to the Moon Flight Director
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Post by kcarts » Oct Sun 10, 2010 3:45 pm

I was down there in 1992 for Andrew. Really there was nothing from it. Just a bit windy and there were a couple of showers. All the food carts were closed and tied down with a few extra straps. Realistically they didn't even have to do that. But better safe than sorry.

FlyingMouse
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by FlyingMouse » Oct Sun 10, 2010 7:41 pm

Back in September of 2001, my wife had a conference at the Hilton near DTD (I got to tag along :D ). There was a tropical storm going through at the time. Added to that, the airlines were shut down because of 9/11, so no new tourists could get in. We did the whole Magic Kingdom before noon--well, everything that was operating.

timekeeper
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Post by timekeeper » Oct Fri 15, 2010 10:16 am

We were there in late August 2008 when I think it was Gustav came around. There was NO ONE in the parks, it was creepy empty! Not as fun as one would think, the music is so loud and really how many times to you want to keep riding the same thing over and over. I have photos of Dd onto of the train station at MK at 2pm with hardly a soul in the back ground. NO big rush to Soar'n, it was a leisurely stroll.

We had a fun trip but the last day the wind/ rain was irritating. We decided then we would NOT like to spend a hurricane at Disney. The wind would whip up so you couldn't wear a hat without a chin strap, then it would pour, the sun would shine and it would do it again 20 minutes later.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Oct Fri 15, 2010 11:43 am

timekeeper wrote:...The wind would whip up so you couldn't wear a hat without a chin strap, then it would pour, the sun would shine and it would do it again 20 minutes later.
That is the fun of Florida weather :D

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Oct Fri 15, 2010 12:57 pm

timekeeper wrote:We were there in late August 2008 when I think it was Gustav came around. There was NO ONE in the parks, it was creepy empty!
I've been twice in my life when it was "creepy empty": first time was in 1982 after EPCOT opened and everybody went there and abandoned the MK; and second was shortly after 9/11 when everyone was afraid terrorists were going blow up the park at any second. Big events - especially big "scarey" events - are the only things that usually can clear the parks...

leblanan

Post by leblanan » Oct Tue 26, 2010 10:24 am

Never in a hurricane, but one trip a number of years ago we went for 16 days, it poured rain for 14 of them

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Oct Tue 26, 2010 11:45 am

leblanan wrote:Never in a hurricane, but one trip a number of years ago we went for 16 days, it poured rain for 14 of them
Ugh, that must have put a damper on your vacation :(

yodi1yensid
King Arthur Carousel Horseman
King Arthur Carousel Horseman

Post by yodi1yensid » Dec Thu 16, 2010 10:02 pm

I've worked in a tropical storm this year. I used to work on Main Street in Custodial for the summer, and I have to say it was really interesting. You could see a band of clouds heading towards us, and all of a sudden it poured, enough that many guests had decided to leave (for some strange reason) or crowded in the Emporium. Main Street was flooding a small bit, but it was no big deal. It was fun though! Got to talk to many guests hiding from the down pour!

knedeau
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner

Post by knedeau » Dec Tue 21, 2010 1:58 pm

YES! On my honeymoon back in '04! We were supposed to stay at fort wilderness in a cottage, but since they closed it due do the hurricane damage, we ended up with a KILLER suite at the wilderness lodge.
"Hey, Look at that guy in the Goofy Mask!" "That's not a mask!" "Oh... Sorry Lady!"

aboden
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by aboden » Dec Tue 21, 2010 3:02 pm

Hurricanes are nothing, well maybe that's my point of view since I live there, we have hurricane parties and everything so going to the parks is fun because a lot of the tourists avoid it. Just gets icey in the rides when your drenched from head to toe lol me and my friends never believed in ponchos :P
"Please stand clear of the doors/Por favor mantengan se alejado de las puertas"

Satchel T

Post by Satchel T » Aug Sun 21, 2011 3:48 pm

Interesting yet timeless thread ... No, I've never been during a hurricane but I did live in Tampa when there was a threat, but it never manifested itself, lots of rain though.

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Aug Sun 21, 2011 5:48 pm

How topical - I think we may get an update from our Len90 about this kind of thing as he is at WDW now and Tropical Storm Irene may be paying him a visit later this week...

Admiral01
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Post by Admiral01 » Aug Sun 21, 2011 9:56 pm

We were at WDW during a hurricane (or some reduced form of a hurricane) in late October/early November back in the mid- to late-1980s. I don't remember which storm, but my parents still talk about it. We were coming off a vacation on the Gulf Coast of Florida, and my dad wanted to do WDW for a couple days, to extend our Florida vacation by a few days. We had 2 days left on 5 day passports (before there were expiration dates on the tickets). I was young, and my little brother was still being carried around by my mom and dad.

What I remember is it raining constantly, but we did MK anyway. Hall of Presidents, Pirates, Haunted Mansion, and a few others closed due to flooding. BTM, the Carousel, and the People Mover were obviously closed. We all ruined our shoes. We had to invest in yellow panchos for the whole family. I remember that Country Bear Jamboree was something that was still open...and packed.

I am sure we also did a day at EPCOT, but I don't remember it being as disrupted as MK.

So, we learned a lesson. First, don't intentionally head to the parks during a hurricane. Second, don't feel the need to spend the last 2 days off a ticket that DOESN'T EXPIRE. My dad still kicks himself for wasting those last 2 Passport days; and my mom still talks about that time "we ruined our shoes at the Magic Kingdom." I got back to school a few days later than I would have normally, so that was cool.

NaCler
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by NaCler » Aug Mon 22, 2011 8:37 am

mindflipper wrote:How topical - I think we may get an update from our Len90 about this kind of thing as he is at WDW now and Tropical Storm Irene may be paying him a visit later this week...
Yep, just upgraded to a Hurricane. Maybe category 2 by the time it gets to central Florida. Poor Len... I hope the predicted tracks are incorrect.