Epcot Obelisks

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

disney_fanatic
Alice in Wonderland Wonderer

Epcot Obelisks

Post by disney_fanatic » Apr Thu 20, 2006 12:49 pm

"Leave A Legacy" located under Spaceship Earth.

A few years back Disney Epcot allowed visitors to have a photo taken, and then egraved the image into metal tiles, that were put onto large stone obelisks.

A few months later you were sent a code for where your picture was, so when you return you could see the photo.

Does anyone know what im goin on about ?! lol

And are they still there??

What happens to the stone/images after?

Thanx if anyone knows.
[b][color=yellow]* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * [/color][i]
[color=#4F94CD]all you need is [/color][color=#FF0066]Faith[/color][color=#4F94CD],[/color] [color=#FF0066]Trust[/color][color=#4F94CD] and a little [/color][color=#FF0066]PixieDust [/color][/i]
[color=yellow]* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * [/color][/b]

AKLRULZ
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by AKLRULZ » Apr Thu 20, 2006 1:44 pm

Oh man I totally HATE this area of Epcot - we call it the Epcot Graveyard. It's creepy and very ugly.

Dr. Ravenscroft
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by Dr. Ravenscroft » Apr Thu 20, 2006 4:31 pm

As do many Disney Fans. I mentioned what happened to me on another thread:
viewtopic.php?t=1408&highlight=epcot+entrance

rdeacon
Santa Fe & Disneyland Railroad Engineer

Post by rdeacon » Apr Thu 20, 2006 4:57 pm

yeah give me back the classic epcot. BTW they are still taking pics and putting them on the tombstones

Rich
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible.."
Walt Disney

[img]http://www.rdeacon.com/img/banners/bar/SR_admin_adv.jpg[/img]
[img]http://rdeacon.com/img/banners/bar/SR_monkey_adv.jpg[/img]

Cheshire Cat
Mark Twain Steamboat Captain
Mark Twain Steamboat Captain

Post by Cheshire Cat » Apr Thu 20, 2006 9:28 pm

Something I just thought about - what happens when they run out of room? :?:

FlatlandMounty
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by FlatlandMounty » Apr Thu 20, 2006 11:11 pm

I know it may be ugly, and it may be like a graveyard...but let say you have a child who goes to Disney with make a wish and gets his picture on the wall. Or you lose any loved one. If you go back, you can always see a picture of them when they were really happy. Something you know will be a legacy. Its really sentimental to some, trivial to others, and probably an eyesore to everyone else. But if it makes those berieved happy, I say do it.

js3901
Matterhorn Bobsleds Climber

Post by js3901 » Apr Thu 20, 2006 11:16 pm

FlatlandMounty wrote:I know it may be ugly, and it may be like a graveyard...but let say you have a child who goes to Disney with make a wish and gets his picture on the wall. Or you lose any loved one. If you go back, you can always see a picture of them when they were really happy. Something you know will be a legacy. Its really sentimental to some, trivial to others, and probably an eyesore to everyone else. But if it makes those berieved happy, I say do it.
On that same note, take your young children, have the picture(s) taken, then when the child grows up, they can see for themselves how much they've changed. Depending on how lang these things stay up/plaques last.
"And please do not sit on the floor. My studies show you can't experience time travel on the floor. and it's not a pretty picture in those shorts" - The Timekeeper

Site Admin, WDW Freak

disney_fanatic

Post by disney_fanatic » Apr Fri 21, 2006 4:45 am

I did it years ago, i was probably only 7, and seeing my picture at Epcot makes me laugh - wherever i go ill alway be at Disney :lol:
Fun for our friends and that to try and find the pictures.

8)
[b][color=yellow]* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * [/color][i]
[color=#4F94CD]all you need is [/color][color=#FF0066]Faith[/color][color=#4F94CD],[/color] [color=#FF0066]Trust[/color][color=#4F94CD] and a little [/color][color=#FF0066]PixieDust [/color][/i]
[color=yellow]* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * [/color][/b]

rdeacon

Post by rdeacon » Apr Fri 21, 2006 10:36 am

Cheshire Cat wrote:Something I just thought about - what happens when they run out of room? :?:
When they run out of room I think its over. At least for putting new images up. I know they are set to be there till 2010.

rich
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible.."
Walt Disney

[img]http://www.rdeacon.com/img/banners/bar/SR_admin_adv.jpg[/img]
[img]http://rdeacon.com/img/banners/bar/SR_monkey_adv.jpg[/img]

dwellsbct
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by dwellsbct » Jan Sat 17, 2009 12:43 pm

I think it's cool. When I purchased my spot on the wall I had an AP and I believe it cost me about $25. I don't think it looks like a graveyard I think it looks prehistoric like the rocks were part of colliding tectonic plates thrust up from the earths crust. But then again I'm a Disney nut so I have a vivid imagination. :goofy:
"I only hope that we don't lose sight of one thing - that it was all started by a mouse."
W.Disney

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Jan Sat 17, 2009 1:01 pm

I'm not a fan of this section of EPCOT, I know this is an old thread. They have since stopped doing this but the tombstones remain. I'm just wondering how long they will leave this area as is.

I really wanted a stone for a walkway around the World as a honeymoon gift in late '06, but they had just stopped doing they program. I don't think the "tombstones" was a good replacement.

Nz58cl
Motor Boat Cruise Skipper
Motor Boat Cruise Skipper

Post by Nz58cl » Jan Mon 19, 2009 7:02 am

I know we wanted to buy a 'gift' stone but we were too late. :( I don't like the area but I understand that it does hold a lot of memories for other people. Sorry but I have to say it they do look like tombstones.

js3901

Re: Epcot Obelisks

Post by js3901 » Jan Mon 19, 2009 9:51 am

disney_fanatic wrote:A few years back Disney Epcot allowed visitors to have a photo taken, and then egraved the image into metal tiles, that were put onto large stone obelisks.
just FYI, the Leave a Legacy tiles aren't really obelisks. This is an obelisk.

as far as what happens with the tiles, I believe that in the terms, Disney can move them anywhere they want on Disney property. however, I believe that will stay exactly where they are for at least the next several years. I doubt that they will spend the move needed to move the stones and then cleanup/rebuild the area.
"And please do not sit on the floor. My studies show you can't experience time travel on the floor. and it's not a pretty picture in those shorts" - The Timekeeper

Site Admin, WDW Freak

stev02
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by stev02 » Jan Mon 19, 2009 12:33 pm

My family and I left a legacy when they first did this. I thought it was a great idea but I definitely don't like the tombstone feel. I want classic Epcot back. Just stick to the bricks. :P
[url=http://www.d-cot.com][img]http://www.d-cot.com/images/d-cot_button.png[/img][/url]

kcarts
Flight to the Moon Flight Director
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Post by kcarts » Jan Mon 19, 2009 2:03 pm

js3901 wrote:

On that same note, take your young children, have the picture(s) taken, then when the child grows up, they can see for themselves how much they've changed. Depending on how lang these things stay up/plaques last.
Can't you do that with your own pictures?