All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

disney_fanatic
Alice in Wonderland Wonderer

Alien Encounter vs. Stitch's Great Escape

Post by disney_fanatic » Apr Wed 19, 2006 5:55 am

sorry if this has been posted previously -

but did anyone get to go on Alien Encounter, i was always told i couldnt go on it as it was really scary lol (i was 10 awww)

was it really that bad, and has Disney decided a more child friendly Stitch is more appropriate at Magic Kingdom??

Is the Stitch Attraction any good??

addlema
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Post by addlema » Apr Wed 19, 2006 6:33 am

Alien Encounter wasn't that scary for me (I was 25 though). It did have a lot of pitch black parts.. I Could see how a little kid might be really scared.

Stitch I thought was a fun.. Not great. But I would do it again.. I love the hot dog burp :)
[img]http://www.disneymountainrides.com/_i/banners/bar/SR_broad.gif[/img]
[img]http://www.disneymountainrides.com/_i/banners/bar/SR_mod.gif[/img]
[img]http://rdeacon.com/img/banners/bar/SR_monkey.gif[/img]

AKLRULZ
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by AKLRULZ » Apr Wed 19, 2006 6:54 am

Alien Encounter was great and I thought as a thirtysomething adult guy that is was pretty scary! I think Stitch flat sucks. :(

disney_fanatic

Post by disney_fanatic » Apr Wed 19, 2006 6:56 am

lol fnx for the response :)

Lion Sleeps Tonight
Rocket Jets Flight Director
Rocket Jets Flight Director

Post by Lion Sleeps Tonight » Apr Wed 19, 2006 10:58 am

Never done Alien Encounter, but I could see why Disney changed it to Stitch. There's always crying children when I see it, so it's still scary for the youngin's.
"A pirate in irons be full o' guile.
And the blackest 'art wears the broadest smile."

Oh, and "Welcome Home."

jumboshrmp
Casey Junior Circus Train Conductor
Casey Junior Circus Train Conductor

Post by jumboshrmp » Apr Wed 19, 2006 11:15 am

But, it hasn't improved much in that area. Even a child who loves stitch may still be scared by the show. It still is a loud, intense, realistic attraction that takes place in mostly darkness, you're held down by a bar that painfully presses down on you, they blow compresses air at you, and did I mention that it was loud and dark?

I have never been on alien encounter, but I have also never been on an attraction where I had left so unsatisfied.

The effects are really good though. Stitch is the most advanced AA figure I have ever seen. He actually walks around (but not literally) and doesn't stay in the same place. He also squirts water (but that's not a good thing in my opinion). The cannons on the ceiling are awesome too. They are just like the ones from the movie. They move really fast too.

Technically, this still IS alien encounter, only this time, disney isn't successfully satisfying the intended age group.

Alien Encounter - Teens and Adults - Thrilling and scary attraction.
Is the intended audience satisfied? Yes

Stitch's Great Escape - Family - Gross, loud and scary attraction that will still easily scare children.
Is the intended audience satisfied? No.

If you don't believe me, read some of the guests reviews.
I was afraid to try alien encounter before, but as soon as I became old enough and decided I wanted to try it, they took it away :cry:
[url=http://www.disneymountainrides.com][img]http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/151/sig9bn.jpg[/img][/url]
Visit http://www.disneymountainrides.com/photos to see the photos from my May 5th trip to WDW!

spaulo
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by spaulo » Apr Wed 19, 2006 1:10 pm

AE > SGE

By light years.

I miss XS Tech.
~Steve

rudekick
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by rudekick » Apr Wed 19, 2006 1:18 pm

spaulo wrote:AE > SGE

By light years.

I miss XS Tech.
I agree. Stitch is extremely weak. I feel like the Magic Kingdom is continuing to try to cater to pre-teens rather than to the whole family.

Fantasrick
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by Fantasrick » Apr Wed 19, 2006 1:26 pm

Alien Encounter was pretty scary. It played more on the imagination than anything. Imagine feeling the warm breath of the alien on the back of your neck in complete darkness. Still makes the hair on the back onf my neck stand up.

Mr.ToadWildRider
Flight to the Moon Flight Director
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Post by Mr.ToadWildRider » Apr Wed 19, 2006 1:55 pm

I haven't ridden Stitch yet but Alien Encounter was so good. I always found it funny but I think I was a teen when it opened so I wasn't a child. I think it's kind of side they killed a successgul, functional, new attraction because a park already almost entirely dedicated to young young children couldn't bear to have one attraction designed for an older crowd. From a business sense it just seems like a poor decision to totally limit your audience. Granted younger kids are a key demographic for Disney, but obviously families and potential guests are not all under the age of 11.

I love that music from AE too. :(

SeasDiver
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Post by SeasDiver » Apr Wed 19, 2006 2:40 pm

There were actually two versions of Alien Encounter. The first one was only open for about 6 months or so if I recall and was a bit scarier. They closed it and toned it down. I have done both versions and Stitch's. I was really disappointed by Stitch's version, primarily for storyline inconsistency. It could have been done so much better with more consistency to the main storyline.

Aaron
Regards,
Aaron
Another Day, Another Dive

js3901
Matterhorn Bobsleds Climber
Matterhorn Bobsleds Climber

Post by js3901 » Apr Wed 19, 2006 8:18 pm

SeasDiver wrote:There were actually two versions of Alien Encounter. The first one was only open for about 6 months or so if I recall and was a bit scarier. They closed it and toned it down. I have done both versions and Stitch's. I was really disappointed by Stitch's version, primarily for storyline inconsistency. It could have been done so much better with more consistency to the main storyline.

Aaron
was the first one the one where the "blood" sprayed down on you from the worker up above who got eaten? I know when I went in '99, we got sprayed, but when we went again in '01 and '02, we didn't...
"And please do not sit on the floor. My studies show you can't experience time travel on the floor. and it's not a pretty picture in those shorts" - The Timekeeper

Site Admin, WDW Freak

SeasDiver
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Post by SeasDiver » Apr Thu 20, 2006 10:10 am

Yep, that was one of the changes. The pre-show was changed rather dramatically too. Originally, the robot was much more menacing.

Regards,
Aaron
Regards,
Aaron
Another Day, Another Dive

spaulo
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by spaulo » Apr Thu 20, 2006 10:58 am

the "spraying" was around longer than six months then... because we got sprayed as far back as '97
~Steve

rdeacon
Santa Fe & Disneyland Railroad Engineer
Santa Fe & Disneyland Railroad Engineer

Post by rdeacon » Apr Thu 20, 2006 5:06 pm

Alien encounter was a much better attraction for adults, but not kid friendly. I would even get semi freaked out on it. The mind makes things too real...

Rich
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible.."
Walt Disney

[img]http://www.rdeacon.com/img/banners/bar/SR_admin_adv.jpg[/img]
[img]http://rdeacon.com/img/banners/bar/SR_monkey_adv.jpg[/img]