Epcot's Entry 1980s *Now W/Pictures!*

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

bayouminnie

Epcot's Entry 1980s *Now W/Pictures!*

Post by bayouminnie » Mar Fri 24, 2006 8:50 pm

I was just reading the Rumors post and laughed about the "wand/no wand" discussion. What about those monoliths in the entry area at Epcot? Does anyone else remember how awe inspiring the entry used to be before the Money Monoliths were placed (crammed) into the walkway between the turnstiles and SSE? I’m sorry, that is what I call the Disney Photo Memory “Sculptures”. There were enormous palm trees reaching high into the sky, seemingly praising the unblemished geodesic sphere, Space Ship Earth. The entry's spacious walk narrowed to point toward the Sphere, then your eye caught the base of the palms, followed them up to their frond's - reaching as fingers, and finally your breath stopped as your eyes rested on the enourmous gleaming silver orb.

:cry:

Oh well, you know what they say... nobody likes change, except a wet baby!

Next trip: July 12, 2006!

Mo, by the Bayou!

Has anyone heard any rumors about moving those "sculptures" somewhere else?
Last edited by bayouminnie on Mar Tue 28, 2006 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cheshire Cat
Mark Twain Steamboat Captain

Post by Cheshire Cat » Mar Fri 24, 2006 9:53 pm

Now that you mention it, the entryway did look a lot more inviting with the palm trees and planters. With all those stones it almost reminds me of a graveyard or something :lol: I also miss the old EPCOT Center fountain in front of spaceship earth. Oh well...

MouseMan
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by MouseMan » Mar Sat 25, 2006 12:20 am

Actually I dont remember the way the entry way used to look. I'm sure it was more inviting. All in all probably on the next trip we will immortalize our kids and maybe ourselves in those monoliths.

bribren
Swiss Family Treehouse Guide
Swiss Family Treehouse Guide

Post by bribren » Mar Sat 25, 2006 11:09 am

I guess change can be good or bad. I miss the fountain, but I really enjoy the improved inoventions plaza. Miss Horizions, Like Mission Space. Does anybody miss the double-decker busses? I kinda liked those...

rdeacon
Santa Fe & Disneyland Railroad Engineer

Post by rdeacon » Mar Sat 25, 2006 11:31 am

Ahh the stones that look like they thrusted up from the earth in some crazy geological event! :shock:

Yeah i'm not a fan of those... leave a legacy could have been done better, like the bricks in from of the MK for example.

Here is a pic of the old entrance...

Rich
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible.."
Walt Disney

[img]http://www.rdeacon.com/img/banners/bar/SR_admin_adv.jpg[/img]
[img]http://rdeacon.com/img/banners/bar/SR_monkey_adv.jpg[/img]

Dr. Ravenscroft
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by Dr. Ravenscroft » Mar Sat 25, 2006 11:55 am

Rich,
You made me cry. :cry: I miss that entrance so much. It looks more enviting, the rocks are annoying (not to mention the fact that my brother and I payed for a space on them and two years later they still aren't on them anywhere. I'm going to stop trying to leave a legacy in any respect because they always screw it up with us.

rdeacon

Post by rdeacon » Mar Sat 25, 2006 12:34 pm

Dr. Ravenscroft wrote:Rich,
You made me cry. :cry: I miss that entrance so much. It looks more enviting, the rocks are annoying (not to mention the fact that my brother and I payed for a space on them and two years later they still aren't on them anywhere. I'm going to stop trying to leave a legacy in any respect because they always screw it up with us.
Dr.. what do you mean they never put them up??? They never attached them??? That stinks. Don't they usually promise to have it up for a number of years?

Rich
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible.."
Walt Disney

[img]http://www.rdeacon.com/img/banners/bar/SR_admin_adv.jpg[/img]
[img]http://rdeacon.com/img/banners/bar/SR_monkey_adv.jpg[/img]

Esmeralda
Flight to the Moon Flight Director
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Post by Esmeralda » Mar Sat 25, 2006 2:10 pm

That picture brings back a lot of memories, Rich. EPCOT was the first Disney park I ever went to, when I was eight years old. This was a much anticipated view, and was every bit as spectacular in real life as pictures. I'm always a little sad when I return because the graveyard monument type stones just don't seem to have that same effect. Many of the pictures on the stones are faded and hard to see at all. How permanent are those giant sculptures?
Drop another coin in slot and I will tell you more.

Dr. Ravenscroft

Post by Dr. Ravenscroft » Mar Sat 25, 2006 5:07 pm

rdeacon wrote:Dr.. what do you mean they never put them up??? They never attached them??? That stinks. Don't they usually promise to have it up for a number of years?
That's right. We got the picture taken in.......thinking..........thinking.........ah yes our 04' visit and we checked one year later on our 05' trip and they didn't have it up. As for the DLR pics he e-mailed them the pics on the day that Disney started collecting them, and they were never used in any of the murals. :( One of the pics was of me (back in 89', my first disney trip, I was 7) kissing Minnie on the check, along with several others too.

Oh well no legacies for my family, I'm afraid to do the paving stones for fear that they won't do it and I will lose more money in the process.

edited for grammer, I really stink at it when I'm not paying attention

G2-4T
Columbia Sailing Ship Admiral
Columbia Sailing Ship Admiral

Post by G2-4T » Mar Sun 26, 2006 11:48 am

Those things are like a alien graveyard - and if you look close a lot of pictures are wearing off the metal plates. You pay a lot for a tiny photo on a hunk of rock? At least the stones give you more space - though if I ever did it there would be gum stuck to it for life...

I say bring back the flowers, good photo Rich! No doubt those stones can move, it won't be easy but they just don't belong there!
Please Stand Clear of the Doors
Por favor mantenganse alejado de las puertas

[url=http://peopleforthepeoplemover.org][img]http://www.tc.umn.edu/~rrclubum/peoplemover.gif[/img][/url]

See it today! [url=http://backsideofwater.blogspot.com/]The Backside of Water[/url]

bayouminnie

Post by bayouminnie » Mar Mon 27, 2006 12:17 pm

Interesting to see your replies AND who replied. I appreciated the photo! Very nice. I bought the poster, but can't find it. I may have tossed it in a fit of "clean". I guess ignorance is bliss.
Thanks for the feedback!

packwingfn
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by packwingfn » Mar Mon 27, 2006 1:53 pm

My picture is on the rock somewhere. I can't wait to see it in August but at the same time, I do miss the original entrance but EPCOT is all about change I guess.
I know this is probably your first flight...and it's mine too...ha, ha

Rain upon that planet Earth. And they rain ... and rain ... and rain. The deluge.

foldmama
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Post by foldmama » Mar Mon 27, 2006 2:16 pm

Rich: I forgot what the old entrance looked like. I only saw it once in person. So beautiful. I cannot believe they destroyed it for the "rocks"! I must admit that I absolutely love EPCOT! Thanks for the memory.

jrcohen
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Post by jrcohen » Mar Mon 27, 2006 4:26 pm

Wow, i'd forgotten what a magnificant sight the entrance to the park used to be. The bricks really do add a much more jagged, hard feeling to the entrance. It's not nearly as inviting as it used to be.
Please keep your arms and legs inside the vehicle until the ride comes to a full and complete stop. Thank you, and enjoy the rest of your day here at Walt Disney World.

Cheshire Cat

Post by Cheshire Cat » Mar Mon 27, 2006 5:01 pm

I guess they would rather give up the beautiful entrance for another way to make money :(