Mickey & Minnie's Runaway Railway

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

Blackie Pueblo
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

Mickey & Minnie's Runaway Railway

Post by Blackie Pueblo » May Thu 07, 2020 6:53 am

So... I know the parks closed right after this opened but if anyone rode it what was your thoughts?

We waited almost an hour and a half to ride it when it opened. My opinion.... very meh. I love that it still looks like the Chinese theater. I love how the opening and how they make you literally walk through the movie screen into the cartoon. I think the technology they use is fantastic especially the trackless way the cars move. Its very colorful and wacky. Unfortunately, I'm one of the people who HATE HATE HATE the way the fab five are drawn now. Stringy and almost scary looking. So right off the bat I hated the way the characters looked so I couldn't get into the ride that much. Over all I think it's a fun ride to do if there is nothing really to do. I just don't feel people will be racing to ensure they ride it.

That being said, yes I did like The Great Movie Ride although I thought it needed updating. But with the park moving away from the idea of being a park based off of Hollywood, I am one of the few that understand WHY they changed it. Just wish it was for something better.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: Mickey & Minnie's Runaway Railway

Post by Amy » May Thu 07, 2020 10:37 am

That's neat you got to experience it already! I watched a couple of videos because I knew it will be a long time before I got there to see it in person. I have to agree with you that I'm not a huge fan of the "original" pie eyed characters ~ I loved the Great Movie Ride so I'll reserve judgement until I can see MMRR in person, but I have a feeling I will be longing for the olden, original, even though it was dated, GMR

horizons1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by horizons1 » May Thu 07, 2020 11:51 am

I've been avoiding watching the videos to avoid spoilers, but it seems like it's probably a lot like Mystic Manor technology-wise. Lots of projection mapping and special effects around trackless cars. That ride is great, I am sure I'll like MMRR when I get to ride it. And I'm also happy they preserved most of the Chinese theater.
No one's gloomy or complaining while the flatware's entertaining.

ImagineerWannabe
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by ImagineerWannabe » May Tue 12, 2020 7:57 pm

I'm not a fan of the drawing style for the characters either. I did LOVE the ending of the preshow! That is slick! The ride was ok. Cute, well done for what it had, but it felt super short compared to the Great Movie Ride. There is a lot going on, so I expect there will always be something new to notice, but with such long lines it makes repeat rides pretty tough.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » May Wed 13, 2020 5:51 am

Is the actual ride shorter then? Or does it just feel like it because TGMR was slower paced and had the show stops?

Blackie Pueblo

Post by Blackie Pueblo » May Wed 13, 2020 11:35 am

Amy wrote:
May Wed 13, 2020 5:51 am
Is the actual ride shorter then? Or does it just feel like it because TGMR was slower paced and had the show stops?
It actually is a decent length of a ride. Seem to last about the same as TGMR.

ImagineerWannabe
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by ImagineerWannabe » May Wed 13, 2020 7:54 pm

Wikipedia says that TGMR was 22 minutes. Which seems to jive with ride through recordings here if I remember correctly. Looking up a youtube ride through of Runaway Railway, it's about 6-7 mins, including the preshow movie.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » May Thu 14, 2020 7:22 am

So taking out the show stops and the movie at the end they're comparable, but wouldn't feel like it to someone who has ridden TGMR a lot maybe

Blackie Pueblo

Post by Blackie Pueblo » May Thu 14, 2020 8:18 am

ImagineerWannabe wrote:
May Wed 13, 2020 7:54 pm
Wikipedia says that TGMR was 22 minutes. Which seems to jive with ride through recordings here if I remember correctly. Looking up a youtube ride through of Runaway Railway, it's about 6-7 mins, including the preshow movie.
So then maybe it just seemed to last that long because I wasn't that impressed. Maybe it seemed to go on forever. LOL

I forgot to mention one thing. The freaking song is so dang catchy though... "Nothing can stop us noowwww..."

horizons1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by horizons1 » May Thu 14, 2020 10:01 am

6-7 minutes is probably long for today's shorter attention spans. I'm afraid the days of gratuitously long, slow-moving experiences is over. Even Navi River Journey, a slow boat ride, is only 5 mins.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » May Sun 17, 2020 8:59 am

Really? Navi River Journey felt a lot longer than 5 minutes ~ haha!

horizons1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by horizons1 » May Mon 18, 2020 10:41 am

Amy wrote:
May Sun 17, 2020 8:59 am
Really? Navi River Journey felt a lot longer than 5 minutes ~ haha!
Yeah, it's about five minutes too long! Seriously, what a disappointment.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » May Tue 19, 2020 8:33 am

It made a little more sense after I watched the movie (when I got home, after the trip, oops) but yeah, still...other than the little glowing jellyfishie things...

cousininmiami
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide

Post by cousininmiami » Apr Fri 29, 2022 6:19 pm

Love this!!!!
°o° "...it's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of every day" °o°

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Jun Wed 22, 2022 10:44 am

Mickey and Minnie is a lot shorter than the former inhabitant. Remember you had multiple in attraction experiences that took place: The cowboy or western scene where your guide left the vehicle and the bandit or mugsy came aboard. Then you had to get your guide back. Afterwards you had the stop in Wizard of Oz scene and the finale movie scene.

The overall hourly capacity of Great Movie ride was somewhere around 2100 people per hour. Vehicles held 70 or so people and were about 4 minutes apart. If running on full capacity with gangster and western that was 140 people every 4 minutes. Overall hourly capacity of Mickey and Minnie is around 2000. Each train is able to hold around 32 people with trains departing in under a minute (based on timing the scenes) so capacity is right around 2200.

Overall capacity is unchanged between runaway railway and great movie ride (so long as great movie ride was running at full capacity). When you think about it its scary to realize how many people go through each attraction on a given day. 2,200 people x 12 hours of operation for the day puts you at about 26,000+ in a given day.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"