Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge--AP Preview

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

wewantsdaredhead
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner

Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge--AP Preview

Post by wewantsdaredhead » Aug Tue 20, 2019 3:37 pm

Mary and I just got back from the World--the sole purpose of the trip was to visit the new SW:GE area as part of an AP Preview Event.

The Positives:
-The entire place is very immersive. They have done an amazing job transporting you to Batuu. I stood in the center of the new land and looked all around and could see no evidence of any WDW around me. You are completely clear of all outside intrusions. (At least what I saw).
The CMs are totally in character and the few we interacted with would totally not break character. Mary made a comment to one about other CMs being jealous of their uniforms and he acted like he had no idea what we were talking about. Another approached us and thanked us for drinking Bantha Milk because it supported her whole family--they were all Bantha Milk farmers.
You really do feel like you are in one of the movies.

-The Blue Milk! Of course I had to try it with alcohol. We asked for a green and a blue but the green was not cold enough yet. It was very good--like a slushy.

-The crowds--they were not as bad as expected. I guess it was because only certain people were allowed in at certain times and I never felt like it was too crowded--might be a different story on opening day.

-Mary and I ate before we got there because we were worried about the lines, but some friends we met there did eat and loved it!

The Negatives:
-The Stores-I just felt like there was no real quality store with good merch. Lots of little ones but nothing really excited me. Now...I am a Star Wars fan but not a full on Star Wars geek (no offense to any that are...) so maybe the stuff just wasn't for me. They had one store that sold almost every character's light saber, but they were more than $100. Not for me thanks. They have one area called the Marketplace and its just that---small little nook areas that you could hardly go into. It just wasn't hitting on much for me. None of what I saw caught my eye. Lots of full costume type stuff--$$$$.

-The Smuggler's Run ride--I'm sorry but it just wasn't all I was expecting. I think that might be part of it--I built it up so much. I don't want to spoil it for anyone, so I won't detail the whole thing, but I was a little disappointed is all. Honestly, I think FoP is better. Mary said she would rather ride Star Tours--LOL I don't know about THAT but needless to say we were a little bummed and we hope the next ride RotR will be better. I would say it was good but not great.

We didn't build your own droid--too much $$$ for me, nor the build your own light saber (I'm a cheapskate and I wouldn't know what to do with one anyway! LOL)

Hit me up if you want more details--about the ride or anything.

H

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge--AP Preview

Post by Amy » Aug Wed 21, 2019 6:33 am

Thanks for the review. My brother and his family all definitely like Star Wars a lot more than me so they will likely be pretty excited to check this out.
So the blue milk isn't really milk based then? Can't really imagine slushy milk. Much less slushy milk. Though a frozen mudslide does go down quite nicely on a hot day, so maybe that isn't all that far off?
I'm guessing the crowds will be awful once it opens to the public. Though hopefully they will die down quickly? Fingers crossed!
I've read other reviews about the merchandise and the common thread seems to be everything is very expensive. And I'm content having watched the build your own lightsaber and droid experiences on line. I'm like you, what would I do with it after I had one? I'm kind of thinking at least one person in my family might do the light saber thing though. That's the sort of thing that might catch their wallet, definitely more than buying a t-shirt or keychain.
Just checked and the RotR should be opening while we're there ~ whoohoo!
And Star Tours? Really? Oh my, Smuggler's Run must not be very good! :lol:

wewantsdaredhead

Post by wewantsdaredhead » Aug Wed 21, 2019 6:41 am

LOL Like I said, that was Mary's quote :)

They said the blue milk is made of rice and coconut--it really didn't taste like anything major, just slightly sweet. It was very pleasant. I wish we would have had the green--next time!

Oh the blue comes plain or with rum--the green comes plain or with tequila :D

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Aug Thu 22, 2019 8:41 am

Hmm, I'm allergic to coconut. Wonder if I could just get the rum or tequila? :lol:

Blackie Pueblo
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

Post by Blackie Pueblo » May Thu 07, 2020 7:38 am

So my wife and I have gone here a few times right before the parks shut down and I have to agree with almost everything you've stated. I think the design is amazing and so immersive. The minute you see the full size Millennium Falcon it can make you giddy like a kid. This will be the new Castle, and EPCOT Ball as far as everyone taking pics in front of it. LOL. The inside and outside makes you feel like you really are in the world of Star Wars. The cast members are amazing, most of them designed their own costumes and they very rarely, I have technically never seen them do it, break character. We were standing in line for Smugglers Run, and a cast member dressed as Rey came out to whisper something to a cast member watching the line. Probably something about work or their shift. When she left he looked at everyone in line and told them that junker, every time she comes around trouble always follows. It was a simple line but brilliant!

I too wasn't that impressed with Smugglers Run. There are three different jobs and unless you're the pilot and sit right in front the ride is very ok. My wife was able to be a pilot and loved the ride! Now Rise of the Resistance.. that ride is simply AWESOME! The creativity and magic of Disney is in full explosion here. It's like 3 different rides in one. Simply amazing and should not be missed if you are able to ride it... which is near impossible.

We did not try the blue milk. We ate there, it was good but expensive. I cant remember what we ate. I just remember it was small. We did not build our own lightsabers, its like a headache to do. You have to make reservations ahead of time. We DID build droids. At $100 a pop it's expensive but it is very fun. So many choices to make your own droid that you can control and it interacts with the land and other droids. So I'm told. I built an R2 unit, she built a BB unit. Trust me, if you do this, choose to build an R2 unit. It's just better all around.

I agree, the merchandise is expensive and doesn't seem like worth the price unless you go for the big ticket items that are more like collector items.
Lastly, the land is insanely crowed all the time. I dont know when it will calm down. Wait times are insane, if you can get on at all. I can go into that more if you'd like. Wow... sorry this post is so long!

horizons1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by horizons1 » May Thu 07, 2020 11:54 am

Blackie Pueblo, I think we need a full blown trip report from you with pics.
No one's gloomy or complaining while the flatware's entertaining.