Opinions on restaurants at Epcot

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

Metalfan
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Opinions on restaurants at Epcot

Post by Metalfan » Mar Sun 25, 2018 7:33 pm

Honestly, didn't know where to post this so I figured this was the best place. So, when we go to Epcot we always tend to eat at the same place. We love Garden Grill. Well, this coming trip we ultimately decided that we might try something different. We're going to be there longer than normal so we figured we had a chance to do something different there. Personally I've been to epcot hundreds of times but usually dinner was either Garden Grill or le Cellier.

Basically I'm looking for opinions on Teppan Edo and Biergarten. I'd also be interested in any other suggestions :) Thanks!

wewantsdaredhead
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner

Re: Opinions on restaurants at Epcot

Post by wewantsdaredhead » Mar Mon 26, 2018 7:23 am

Oooh now this is something I can get excited about.

So, Teppan Edo is a hibachi style of course where you sit with (essentially) strangers around a grill. The food is great and the show is always entertaining. To me, the food is "just enough" not too much, not too little. I would suggest you try this one. The cost is decent, for Disney anyway.

As far as the Biergarten, same deal where you are seated with other families--we have been with ones that are fun and like to chat about where they are from and such and also been with people that wont even look your way, but its all good. The food is decent and there is just soooo much. I always overeat in there. The band is the highlight--they are fun and they get the crowd going with toasts. Its a little more expensive than TE.

If you made me pick between the two I would say Teppan Edo is the way to go, but I like them both. Teppan Edo has become a staple for us on every trip.

Another staple of ours is Via Napoli--fantastic pizza, quick service and usually we get out of there for less than the two above because we just split a pizza and drink water.

This upcoming trip we will be eating at Le Cellier and Via Napoli. Let us know what you pick and how you like it.

More importantly--hows the leg? :?: :?:

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Mar Mon 26, 2018 8:08 am

I'll throw my hat into the ring for Via Napoli as well. Mom and I would split an individual pizza and that was enough food because we were saving room for the zeppoli di caterina ~ awesome little fried clouds of sweet dough served with chocolate sauce and fresh whipped cream. That would cost about $30, but it was very tasty. And I've heard lots of positive things about the pasta dishes as well.

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by cy1229 » Mar Mon 26, 2018 8:27 am

I have to agree with WWDRH about Teppan Edo. Great food. We ate at the French restaurant once, too. Not the 2 meal credit one, the other one... and it was good but not amazing. Hubby loved the ratatouille though.

The only one I would avoid is Askershus. Back in the day the food was really good but since it became a princess dining experience, meh.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

Metalfan

Post by Metalfan » Mar Mon 26, 2018 1:50 pm

Thanks for the responses!! We at lunch at Via Napoli a couple trips ago and I enjoyed it. However, maybe because of the time the service was just terrible and we didn't like being in that patio area. Just not the best experience from that standpoint. I enjoyed the pizza. I think we might throw that in for lunch again. Ultimately I thin that we're gonna head to Teppan Edo. I think it will be perfect and fun for us. I just wanted to hear other opinions.

@wewantsdaredhead The knee is...well its healing still lol. It's sore but that's just because it's being used more than it has in 2 months. I'm able to move it a lot more. Just can't walk on it yet. We're working on getting towards that in a few weeks. Right now it's just trying to get it used to moving some and bending as much as it can so that when we reach the point where I do start walking and bending it normally that I don't deal with a ton of extra pain. I know it will hurt but Im hoping Im not in agony.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Mar Tue 27, 2018 12:56 pm

I agree the service at Via Napoli is a bit slow. I think it has a bit to do with how large the location is, as well as the limited capacity of the ovens. Lunch is probably a good option though. I didn't weigh in on Teppan Edo or the Biergarten because we've never been to either. I've never been able to get past the smell of the sauerkraut outside the Germany location. Ick!
Will you have the dining plan on this trip? That might make a difference in how you select your dining options.

Metalfan

Post by Metalfan » Mar Wed 28, 2018 12:32 pm

Dining plan is to be determined. We've never used that before so we're not sure. But it's an option. We just go and pay for what we want to eat. Cost usually is not an issue. Especially not this trip since we're basically not paying for much anyway.

sfein
Swiss Family Treehouse Guide
Swiss Family Treehouse Guide

Post by sfein » Mar Wed 28, 2018 2:12 pm

Just came back from Disney. I have eaten at all of the restaurants at Epcot over a long span of time. In the past we ate at Teppan Edo. It's similar to Benihana, Sakura, Oki Steak House (place your local one here).
The food was good. But, the enjoyment is really dependent on the chef you get. We had an OK one. A table near us had a better/more engaged one. This was about 10 years ago, hopefully your odds will improve :)

Thinking you're looking for recent results. This last time we ate at Biergarten and Via Napoli.

The pizza at Via Napoli was really good. The only problem we had was the style is the same as our local pizza (Neopolitan) and our local is very very good. My family thought Via Napoli was close but our local better.

Biergarten had excellent food and yes we all overstuffed. The band was excellent and as a beer drinker, I enjoyed the fact I could get a beer flight of German beers.

Metalfan

Post by Metalfan » Mar Wed 28, 2018 3:07 pm

Thanks for the info @sfein! Yea I mean we're just discussing different options right now. It's still 203 days away from the trip. A lot will depend on other factors that are to be determined. Usually we don't care about how much we spend on food because we like to eat. Well, I like to eat. So if I see something I'll enjoy we'll go. I think for the 2 of us Teppan Edo would be the best dinner idea. Biergarten would be a lot of fun and there's a chance we'll do both. We're still setting up how we're going to be doing our trip and what days we want to do each park, etc. The other factor is that food and wine will be going on at the same time and trust me, I can eat my way around the world. lol. We'll sit down and really decide what we want to do probably next week .

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » Mar Wed 28, 2018 9:14 pm

It sounds like you are into communal dining, so those places are fine. Not totally my scene but they work. Every sit down place in WS is going to be good, so no worries there unless you really aren't a fan of that culture's style at a fundamental level. The reasoning is that they are getting data and testing stuff constantly so things are tned to appeal. At the same time, if you are looking for hardcore cuisine you would be dissapointed.

Metalfan

Post by Metalfan » Mar Thu 29, 2018 1:16 pm

Thanks for the info everyone! Think we came up with our dining list.

Alacrity
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Post by Alacrity » Mar Fri 30, 2018 1:07 pm

Maybe late to the game but...

After not hitting the Biergarten for a good long time (more than ten years) my wife and I decided to visit last trip. And we kinda liked it! The entertainment was fun, the food good and the company was good too! We met a Disney engineer and had a nice chat with him and his wife. We'd be happy to go there again...and in less than 10 years! We weren't too fond of the dinning upstairs in Japan although we were not at Teppan Edo but next door. We thought it was just OK but noisy and pretty so so decor. We do plan to hit Katsura Grill next time around as we haven't tried that one yet.

For a nice sit down, romantic, adult get a way, though a bit pricey, we have been to, what is now, Monsieur Paul (it was Bistro de Paris) several times. It's upstairs from Chefs de Paris. We really liked the Bistro but Paul's has grown on us. We've also had good luck at the Rose and Crown but folks are not always impressed and it can be tough to get into. The Fish and Chips stand is also really good if you just want to grab some and find a spot to sit! On the lighter side, Italy also has Tutto Gusto, the little wine bar on the left as you look at Via Napoli. We have tried both and they are good. Tutto is small and not really a dinner place but snacks and light lunch kinda stuff. Oh, and wine! Via Napoli was good but, again, pretty popular and noisy.

If you are up for a walk, we always enjoy the Yachtsman at the Yacht and Beach club. Best steaks but you pay for 'em. The Lobster Bisque is tops. More casual but had to get into these days, is Beaches and Cream. Burgers and ice cream. It's also fun to watch folks try to get through the Kitchen Sink! We did that once, with a group of 10!

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Mar Fri 30, 2018 2:24 pm

Alacrity wrote:Maybe late to the game but...

After not hitting the Biergarten for a good long time (more than ten years) my wife and I decided to visit last trip. And we kinda liked it! The entertainment was fun, the food good and the company was good too! We met a Disney engineer and had a nice chat with him and his wife. We'd be happy to go there again...and in less than 10 years! We weren't too fond of the dinning upstairs in Japan although we were not at Teppan Edo but next door. We thought it was just OK but noisy and pretty so so decor. We do plan to hit Katsura Grill next time around as we haven't tried that one yet.

For a nice sit down, romantic, adult get a way, though a bit pricey, we have been to, what is now, Monsieur Paul (it was Bistro de Paris) several times. It's upstairs from Chefs de Paris. We really liked the Bistro but Paul's has grown on us. We've also had good luck at the Rose and Crown but folks are not always impressed and it can be tough to get into. The Fish and Chips stand is also really good if you just want to grab some and find a spot to sit! On the lighter side, Italy also has Tutto Gusto, the little wine bar on the left as you look at Via Napoli. We have tried both and they are good. Tutto is small and not really a dinner place but snacks and light lunch kinda stuff. Oh, and wine! Via Napoli was good but, again, pretty popular and noisy.

If you are up for a walk, we always enjoy the Yachtsman at the Yacht and Beach club. Best steaks but you pay for 'em. The Lobster Bisque is tops. More casual but had to get into these days, is Beaches and Cream. Burgers and ice cream. It's also fun to watch folks try to get through the Kitchen Sink! We did that once, with a group of 10!
Wow ~ lots of good info here Alacrity. I have a friend who always tries to eat at Monsieur Paul each trip ~ they really enjoy it and find it to be a nice change of pace from the busier downstairs Chefs de Paris.

BattyMcDoom
Alice in Wonderland Wonderer
Alice in Wonderland Wonderer

Post by BattyMcDoom » Apr Wed 25, 2018 11:07 am

Teppan Edo is on my list to try as well. I love hibachi and I would really like to check it out some time. I haven't done too many table service meals in Epcot because usually when I go theres a festival with lots of yummy food kiosks at the time. I have been to Via Napoli a few times though and if you like pizza it's definitely a must do!
:jack: :jack: :jack: :jack: :jack: :jack: :jack: :jack: :jack:
My Next Trip - WDW July 14th
WDW Trips - 17 DLR Trips - 3
:jack: :jack: :jack: :jack: :jack: :jack: :jack: :jack: :jack:

bs448
Fire Engine Driver
Fire Engine Driver

Post by bs448 » May Mon 28, 2018 11:36 pm

Hello, This is my first post, but I wanted to chime in, since I have probably been to every restaurant on the property at least once in my hundreds of trips to Disney world (and I have the waist line to prove it). I see that you have established your dining plans, but if you have not been to the Coral Reef inside the Nemo and friends (will always be Sea base alpha to me and the living seas). Sometimes the food is hit or miss, but the floor to ceiling aquarium views are worth the trip if you have never been. If you have, then, like most everyone else, I would recommend Teppan Edo over the Biergarten, only because it can get kind of busy in there during the food and wine festival, and with Teppan Edo, you will at least have a quiet environment to enjoy dinner.

Have fun :)