Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Universe of Energy closed!

Post by kelpseaweedkelp » Aug Sun 13, 2017 10:45 pm

BAH! :(

http://www.insidethemagic.net/2017/07/c ... ney-world/

The silver lining is....Tower of Terror staying the same? :(

Fare the well Stupid Judy

Spaceship Earth and The Land: The Last Stand.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: Universe of Energy closed!

Post by Amy » Aug Mon 14, 2017 12:19 pm

So sad. I will miss the Universe of Energy, but I am excited to see what comes next.

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » Aug Mon 14, 2017 8:54 pm

For now at least, considering the licensing of Twilight Zone is a waste of money and the park seems to be slated for an overall theme change, I wouldn't put it out of the realm of possibility. Thrown in that the update here at DCA is actually really well done.

horizons1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by horizons1 » Aug Tue 15, 2017 7:51 am

Nobody sad to also see TGMR close? I am a little bummed about both but it was time. Even when I rode them out of nostalgia I have to admit they were both very LONG rides.
No one's gloomy or complaining while the flatware's entertaining.

kelpseaweedkelp

Post by kelpseaweedkelp » Aug Tue 15, 2017 3:22 pm

Whoa! I didn't even know about TGMR!
Man. So the only dark ride from EPCOT days left is Spaceship Earth. And the Land - which I recently went on and was like, this is the best ride in WDW.
Sheesh. I feel kind of sad.
Oh I see they are putting a Mickey Minnie rollercoaster in. Better than Guardians of the Galaxy!
The Alien part was the best.
Yes they are long rides - for when you are overheating and sick of talking with whoever you are with!

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Aug Tue 15, 2017 5:43 pm

horizons1 wrote:Nobody sad to also see TGMR close? I am a little bummed about both but it was time. Even when I rode them out of nostalgia I have to admit they were both very LONG rides.
I will miss TGMR as well. And someone had requested the ride through of the original Universe of Energy when I was on my walk this morning so that was fun to listen to. I was lucky enough to see both the original and the Ellen version. And also both the original and last version of TGMR movie montage so I'm a pretty happy camper.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Aug Tue 15, 2017 5:45 pm

kelpseaweedkelp wrote:Whoa! I didn't even know about TGMR!
Man. So the only dark ride from EPCOT days left is Spaceship Earth. And the Land - which I recently went on and was like, this is the best ride in WDW.
Sheesh. I feel kind of sad.
Oh I see they are putting a Mickey Minnie rollercoaster in. Better than Guardians of the Galaxy!
The Alien part was the best.
Yes they are long rides - for when you are overheating and sick of talking with whoever you are with!
Weird how there isn't much left of the original Future World isn't it? I enjoy the Land ride too. And would be super sad if anything happens to Spaceship Earth. I suppose if they did something to the inside of the attraction, I could deal with it, but if they ever were to tear that down I would be in tears myself. Doubt the structure would go anywhere though, that baby is pretty well set there I think!
Good call on the overheating and place to not have to talk if you need to :lol:

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Aug Tue 15, 2017 8:33 pm

Weird or good? It is so heavily dated in terms of content and presentation method that you cannot realistically do incremental upgrades anymore.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Aug Tue 15, 2017 9:05 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:Weird or good? It is so heavily dated in terms of content and presentation method that you cannot realistically do incremental upgrades anymore.
Weird to me. I would have thought more of the original attractions would still be around. But I suppose if something is named Future World, it doesn't do to have dated attractions in it.

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by cy1229 » Aug Wed 16, 2017 1:19 pm

Amy wrote:
Wizzard419 wrote:Weird or good? It is so heavily dated in terms of content and presentation method that you cannot realistically do incremental upgrades anymore.
Weird to me. I would have thought more of the original attractions would still be around. But I suppose if something is named Future World, it doesn't do to have dated attractions in it.
At this point, to name anything "futureworld" and try to maintain that label with any level of accuracy or integrity, would be cost-prohibitive unless everything is just VR on screens. And even then, it couldn't really be kept up without a reboot every 6 months or year. So the current Futureworld isn't really the future. And, if you count Mission:Space it isn't our world at all. :lol: The Land and The Seas are still pretty good, and as long as the greenhouses continue to showcase some of the advances in agriculture they're ok. The Seas doesn't have to do much of anything - any aquarium or zoo will demonstrate how much people like to just look at fish. But when you look at the rest of this part of Epcot, it's a hodgepodge of almosts. And almost all of the educational merit is gone.

Along that same vein, though, I think it would be horrific if Spaceship Earth would go away. Yes, some of the interior and/or interactives could be updated, that's without question. But eliminating it entirely would be a dreadful mistake.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Aug Thu 17, 2017 8:35 pm

Even if they hadn't called it that, just treating every ride as "once it is done, it will be great forever" is bad. Pair that with rising operating costs, the entire exercise becomes untenable.

Does the land show the latest advances anymore? It seems like they have been showing the same tech for 20-30 years now.

horizons1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by horizons1 » Aug Fri 18, 2017 4:11 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:just treating every ride as "once it is done, it will be great forever" is bad.
Except for Horizons of course. :D

kelpseaweedkelp

Post by kelpseaweedkelp » Aug Fri 18, 2017 4:38 pm

horizons1 wrote: Except for Horizons of course. :D
FACT.

They could do like a balance of retro-future like Tommorrowland but steer it towards the spirit of optimism and things that can still be like original EPCOT. Like use people's awesome ideas as a possible map.

Well...we shall see how the future views the Iger years I suppose.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Aug Fri 18, 2017 9:31 pm

Yeah... and it was closed because it was just so awesome and popular? :D

horizons1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by horizons1 » Aug Sat 19, 2017 11:43 am

kelpseaweedkelp wrote:
horizons1 wrote: Except for Horizons of course. :D
FACT.

They could do like a balance of retro-future like Tommorrowland but steer it towards the spirit of optimism and things that can still be like original EPCOT.
LOVE that idea, kelpseaweedkelp. And I love your user name, of course. I could hang with you.