Cool Epcot idea via Abandoned series

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Cool Epcot idea via Abandoned series

Post by cy1229 » Jun Sat 03, 2017 6:33 pm

I don't know if you all have seen the Abandoned series on YouTube (done by Bright Sun), but they're super interesting. I watched this one about Journey Into Imation at Epcot and thought the suggestion at the very end was good food for thought. Jake makes a good point, that Epcot needs some serious help. Anyway, thought I'd share, and wondered what you all think about it.

Here's the video link: https://youtu.be/VFFP2BMO-KE
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: Cool Epcot idea via Abandoned series

Post by Amy » Jun Sun 04, 2017 1:13 pm

Wasn't familiar with this series before. It was interesting to watch. I agree the suggestion at the end was interesting, although I would very much miss the pretty glass pyramids of the current pavilion.

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » Jun Mon 05, 2017 10:33 am

Amy wrote:Wasn't familiar with this series before. It was interesting to watch. I agree the suggestion at the end was interesting, although I would very much miss the pretty glass pyramids of the current pavilion.
I agree. Seems to me the pyramids could stay while the rest of the interior gets a re-do.

I was more referring to the need for Epcot to have a major overhaul in the entire FutureWorld area - and even the whole park - because it's just kind of tired.

I saw in another Abandoned video that a Russia world showcase had been planned. With today's political climate I doubt that would be as welcome but it sure would have been nice to have. Especially if they put in a vodka bar similar to the tequila bar in Mexico.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » Jun Mon 05, 2017 9:23 pm

Part of why it looks tired is that there is such dated architecture in the area.

There might be a little bit of space for one area for a new country in WS but they are so packed in there it isn't viable to add anyone in, even if they felt like setting a pile of money on fire to promote their country.

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » Jun Tue 06, 2017 5:45 am

Is the Outpost still there? If so, that's a basically dead area that could be used. The real issue I see the walkway along the lake. It gets seriously crowded. They could fill in a bit further and expand it but I doubt that would happen.

The architecture is definitely dated. That's what happens when designers try to design "in the future." We are now so far into the future that the future they designed is now in the past. So either rename the area "Pastworld" or update it. It's definitely not Futureworld anymore.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jun Tue 06, 2017 8:52 pm

It has space but not enough (check it on Google Earth) to do what would be acceptable for a modern area/land. As it requires major sponsorship to get done, it would be difficult for a country to get interested in spending a fortune for a C-level space.