Disney Springs Restaurant: Homecoming

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

NaCler
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Disney Springs Restaurant: Homecoming

Post by NaCler » Feb Sun 05, 2017 11:22 pm

Please use this thread for any reviews on the new restaurant, Homecoming. Here is a review by the WDWNT.com team: http://wdwnt.com/blog/2017/02/review-ne ... y-springs/

cousininmiami
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide

Re: Disney Springs Restaurant: Homecoming

Post by cousininmiami » Feb Mon 06, 2017 2:06 pm

We absolutely loved Chef Art Smith's Homecoming! We were there in December, our meal was fabulous!
My husband started with a Moonshine Margarita, and I had a Sangria. Both were great!
Then we moved onto to appetizers... we had the Bunch of Puppies. Wow, really really delicious! Hush Puppies with Pimento cheese, yummmmmmy
Then I had the Shrimp and Grits... I'm a real sucker for this meal, always order it at every restaurant we go to. And this did not disappoint! It was delicious! And my husband had the Fried Chicken of course... he said it was more like a fried chicken experience, unreal!
For dessert we had the famous Hummingbird cake. I'm serious when I tell you this was the best cake I have ever had... ever! I am a baker and an eater of desserts so I will go there again just to have the cake!
We also met Chef Art Smith, he came by a couple times. We got a picture with him and we bought one of his cookbooks and he signed it for us too!
I give this restaurant an A+++, not to be missed!
°o° "...it's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of every day" °o°

NaCler

Post by NaCler » Feb Mon 06, 2017 2:13 pm

That's really awesome cousin. I have heard some really good things about the fried chicken, so can you elaborate on why it was described by your husband as an experience? Also, if you have any pics of the place or the food, please share them.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Feb Mon 06, 2017 8:23 pm

That's pretty cool that you got to meet the Chef himself cousininmiami! Was the pimento cheese inside the hush puppies, or served alongside them as a dip?

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » Feb Tue 07, 2017 1:09 am

Menu says with, so I am guessing they are a dip/spread. As they are probably hand piped/scooped, it can be harder to get it inside the ball and keep it neat.

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » Feb Tue 07, 2017 9:44 pm

Shrimp and grits??

My southern friends, I ❤ you, but I don't understand your foods. Why would you muck up shrimp with grits?
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

cousininmiami

Post by cousininmiami » Feb Thu 09, 2017 10:06 am

So here is the fried chicken:

And here is the Hummingbird cake:

I guess these are the only pics of the food.... The fried chicken is brined overnight, then soaked in buttermilk, then breaded and fried. It was crunchy, tender and delicious! And the cake???? Like I said, I will go to Disney Springs again just to get a piece of the cake!

When we went home I made the cake myself. It was really good! Here is the picture of my cake and the cookbook:

°o° "...it's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of every day" °o°

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » Feb Thu 09, 2017 5:51 pm

That food looks DELIGHTFUL, cousin!

What are the flavors in a "hummingbird" cake? Not real hummingbirds, I take it.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Feb Thu 09, 2017 10:03 pm

According to wiki, it is banana-pineapple and spice... if it were flavored like real hummingbirds it would presumably taste like territorial dickholes.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Feb Fri 10, 2017 7:57 am

Wizzard ~ naughty!! And yes, I know hummingbirds are territorial, but language :evil:
It does look really good cousininmiami ~ particularly the cake. That is great that you were able to make it at home. I've seen different recipes for hummingbird cake and it does sound really delicious, but definitely time consuming to make!

cousininmiami

Post by cousininmiami » Feb Fri 10, 2017 11:11 am

Amy wrote:Wizzard ~ naughty!! And yes, I know hummingbirds are territorial, but language :evil:
It does look really good cousininmiami ~ particularly the cake. That is great that you were able to make it at home. I've seen different recipes for hummingbird cake and it does sound really delicious, but definitely time consuming to make!
Wizzard... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

And yes its a pineapple and banana cake with a cream cheese frosting. It was super time consuming mostly because it was my first time making it. I will speed up next time and now that I know I can do it, I will make it when I have people over. It was seriously good. I added the nuts on top even though they didn't call for that, mostly because I chopped too many walnuts and wanted to use them up.

NaCler

Post by NaCler » Feb Sun 12, 2017 7:25 pm

Thank you for posting the pics cousin. That chicken does look good. Was that a honey type sauce on the plate with it? Also, I heard that the hummingbird cake is huge and can be shared by probably 4 people. What do you think?

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Feb Sun 12, 2017 11:44 pm

According to the menu, that is a hot sauce that they make in-house. You could also do a hot honey (which was popular about a year ago) if you can't take heat.

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » Feb Mon 13, 2017 8:12 am

cousininmiami wrote:
Amy wrote:Wizzard ~ naughty!! And yes, I know hummingbirds are territorial, but language :evil:
Wizzard... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

And yes its a pineapple and banana cake with a cream cheese frosting. It was super time consuming mostly because it was my first time making it. I will speed up next time and now that I know I can do it, I will make it when I have people over. It was seriously good. I added the nuts on top even though they didn't call for that, mostly because I chopped too many walnuts and wanted to use them up.
Sounds like we could serve it with rum sauce for a drunken hummingbird cake....

If you like piña colada, ...
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012

cousininmiami

Post by cousininmiami » Feb Mon 13, 2017 11:41 am

:wink: Wow that sounds great!! maybe just skip the cake...