Is Soarin' Around the World as awesome as the original?

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

What is your favorite... the new Soarin' Around the World? Or original Soarin' over California?

Original Soarin' over California
88%
New Soarin' over the World
13%

Total votes: 8

cousininmiami
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide

Is Soarin' Around the World as awesome as the original?

Post by cousininmiami » Sep Tue 20, 2016 9:15 am

I just wanted to see the opinions, for those who have seen the new Soarin' Around the World. I'll be honest, I like the original one the best, and have now seen the new Soarin 5 times. So, let's see!
°o° "...it's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of every day" °o°

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Re: Is Soarin' Around the World as awesome as the original?

Post by Wizzard419 » Sep Tue 20, 2016 1:55 pm

The CG for the India segment is horrible, I have a few suspicions as why they had to go for the CG version rather than the real thing. Also, kinda heavy on the death monuments for a theme park ride.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Sep Tue 20, 2016 10:06 pm

Ooo, I can actually weigh in on this ~ in 5 - 7 days from now ;) :lol:

daluke
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Post by daluke » Nov Tue 29, 2016 3:21 am

I rode this 3 or 4 times in Disneyland last month. Overall, I think it is about as good as the original.

What I liked about it:
Just the fact that it is new, I WAS getting a little bored with the original.
Patrick Warburton is still in the preshow
The updated music is enjoyable.
The scenes are ... scenic. Mt Kilimanjaro, the ocean, paris, great wall...incredible.
Digital...the details are incredible. I like looking down into Castle Lichtenstein and seeing the tour groups on the ground! Is it CGI? I am not going to think about it...

What I didnt like about it:
Distortion when you are viewing off-center. It IS irritating, but not as bad as what I had heard. And not sure why it wasn't in the original.
This new one feels like a bunch of short video clips strung together, whereas the original felt a bit more like a coherent set of scenes.
Similarly, the original felt like it was celebrating flight, whereas the new one feels like it is celebrating the locales.
There were more scenes in the original that felt like I was really flying - like coming in fast across the river.
I liked in the original how you could sometimes hear people talking or shouting as you flew over them - it was an audio trick that connected me to the scene.
The transitions seem too obvious. Yeah, they did some of the same things in the original, but this time they are - I don't know - obvious?

Regardless, I enjoyed it a lot.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Nov Tue 29, 2016 6:44 am

daluke wrote:I rode this 3 or 4 times in Disneyland last month. Overall, I think it is about as good as the original.

What I liked about it:
Just the fact that it is new, I WAS getting a little bored with the original.
Patrick Warburton is still in the preshow
The updated music is enjoyable.
The scenes are ... scenic. Mt Kilimanjaro, the ocean, paris, great wall...incredible.
Digital...the details are incredible. I like looking down into Castle Lichtenstein and seeing the tour groups on the ground! Is it CGI? I am not going to think about it...

What I didnt like about it:
Distortion when you are viewing off-center. It IS irritating, but not as bad as what I had heard. And not sure why it wasn't in the original.
This new one feels like a bunch of short video clips strung together, whereas the original felt a bit more like a coherent set of scenes.
Similarly, the original felt like it was celebrating flight, whereas the new one feels like it is celebrating the locales.
There were more scenes in the original that felt like I was really flying - like coming in fast across the river.
I liked in the original how you could sometimes hear people talking or shouting as you flew over them - it was an audio trick that connected me to the scene.
The transitions seem too obvious. Yeah, they did some of the same things in the original, but this time they are - I don't know - obvious?

Regardless, I enjoyed it a lot.
Nice observations. We only were able to ride once in DCA, but we all enjoyed it as well. I like the fact that they kept some elements of the previous score, while still making it fresh and new. Since I love the original music, that is what I was most interested in seeing what they did with it. I like the new scenes, but I have to agree that it isn't as coherent as the original.

horizons1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by horizons1 » Nov Tue 29, 2016 4:03 pm

I experienced this in Shanghai last month and was not happy. It is so digitally enhanced it feels fake.
No one's gloomy or complaining while the flatware's entertaining.

cousininmiami

Post by cousininmiami » Dec Thu 01, 2016 10:35 am

horizons1 wrote:I experienced this in Shanghai last month and was not happy. It is so digitally enhanced it feels fake.
Yes I think you are right, that is the problem I have with the new version too. Also the music doesn't seem to match as well. What do you think? I suppose I held the original Soarin' to a super high standard because I loved it so much. The new seems to be pushing too hard with no real flow to it. And again, it's very CG.
°o° "...it's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of every day" °o°

cousininmiami

Post by cousininmiami » Dec Tue 06, 2016 11:55 am

OK, so we just got back from WDW again, and I'd like to change my mind. I really do like the new Soarin'
It's growing on me.... :-)

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Dec Tue 06, 2016 2:09 pm

cousininmiami wrote:OK, so we just got back from WDW again, and I'd like to change my mind. I really do like the new Soarin'
It's growing on me.... :-)
:lol: :lol: :lol:
You should probably go back soon just to be sure ;)

NovaCite
Fire Engine Driver
Fire Engine Driver

Post by NovaCite » Dec Sat 10, 2016 10:04 am

I haven't ridden it yet, but I feel like I just haven't heard much about it, good or bad. Not sure if that's a good thing or not.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Dec Sat 10, 2016 11:22 am

NovaCite wrote:I haven't ridden it yet, but I feel like I just haven't heard much about it, good or bad. Not sure if that's a good thing or not.
Probably a good thing ~ then you can make your own decision once you get to experience it ~ hopefully that will be soon?!

wewantsdaredhead
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner

Post by wewantsdaredhead » Jan Fri 27, 2017 2:07 pm

When people ask me about this is what I say:

The old Soarin` used to make the hair on my arm stand up--even after 25-30 times of seeing it. The music, the sights--just awesome. Yes, it was blurry and needed some cleaning up, but I loved it.
When I watched the new one, the only time the hair stands up on my arms is......when they play the original music!!! :lol:

All the stories about the distortion are true. The further you are away from center, the worse it is. Annoyingly so.... And yes, I realize that I am such a fan of the old one that I might be overly critical of this, but its there for sure. My wife and son commented about it after the first ride.

Soooooooooo glad they left the Patrick Warburton pre-flight movie intact.

That's my $0.02.